[PS4/XB1] We will be entering into maintenance downtime on 11/18 at 6pm PST. For details, please visit the following thread: http://bit.ly/teraconsolemaintenance

Calendar broken?

Comments

• CornishRexCornishRex ✭✭✭✭✭

@Christin said:

@CornishRex said:

@counterpoint said:

@Christin said:

@counterpoint said:

@DoctorDemento said:
    Well it is still broken. Can't even see the daily rewards. So NOT FIXED. Imagine that. They love to take weeks or months or not at all to fix broken stuff. After years and years of this kind of stuff, it still annoys me when it happens.

Yes, right now it is purposefully turned off. When there's an update, I'm sure they'll post about it, but it'll remain off for the indefinite future. It's not instead, but there is still a cumulative login event running right now where you can get rewards each day.

And yes, these sorts of unfixed bugs annoy me (time zone bug with the calendar was a particular pet peeve), but the selfish actions that required it to be shut down completely (and a bunch of fashion coupon items removed) annoy me a lot more.

Really? Selfish actions? It's not like they used some type of script or exploit. From what I hear, it was a you could keep clicking kind of thing. Blaming those types of issues on players is just sad. Everything all fine for them script fisher people, but shame on you extra clickers for being such a greedy bunch. Such hypocrisy.

Just FWIW, you heard wrong. It wasn't "keep clicking" by any stretch of the imagination; it was quite literally an exploit script. That some people are claiming that's what it was means they either a) don't know what was really happening, or b) are trying to justify something that would get them banned in any MMO in existence and are arguing in very bad faith.

It was not just an exploit script. Calendar dupe bug has been known for ages and I used to do it unknowingly, all it takes is for you to lag and click multiple times on the calendar out of frustration when the item doesn't pop up and there you have it, multiple items. Since I played with high ping this would happen often lol. GM's have been alerted like a couple of years ago, most regions don't even use the calendar for rewards but eme still does despite knowing about the bug. I'm sure someone made a script to make it more severe and impactful but it's easily reproducible by just lagging.

Apparently, the exploit they are referring to is much more than the extra click lag glitch. Although the lag glitch does represent how desperate some are for FASHION COUPONS as I doubt people were trying to quick click for any of that other stuff.

It was pretty much click glitch gone horribly terribly wrong because people knew it was exploitable and eme did nothing before the script was made which they could've, since they did know about it and all...
    I heard people were getting fashion coupons cause you could exchange for a certain reaper item that would dismantle into those new coins and you could get valuable costumes with it.

• ChristinChristin ✭✭✭✭

@CornishRex said:

@Christin said:

@CornishRex said:

@counterpoint said:

@Christin said:

@counterpoint said:

@DoctorDemento said:
    Well it is still broken. Can't even see the daily rewards. So NOT FIXED. Imagine that. They love to take weeks or months or not at all to fix broken stuff. After years and years of this kind of stuff, it still annoys me when it happens.

Yes, right now it is purposefully turned off. When there's an update, I'm sure they'll post about it, but it'll remain off for the indefinite future. It's not instead, but there is still a cumulative login event running right now where you can get rewards each day.

And yes, these sorts of unfixed bugs annoy me (time zone bug with the calendar was a particular pet peeve), but the selfish actions that required it to be shut down completely (and a bunch of fashion coupon items removed) annoy me a lot more.

Really? Selfish actions? It's not like they used some type of script or exploit. From what I hear, it was a you could keep clicking kind of thing. Blaming those types of issues on players is just sad. Everything all fine for them script fisher people, but shame on you extra clickers for being such a greedy bunch. Such hypocrisy.

Just FWIW, you heard wrong. It wasn't "keep clicking" by any stretch of the imagination; it was quite literally an exploit script. That some people are claiming that's what it was means they either a) don't know what was really happening, or b) are trying to justify something that would get them banned in any MMO in existence and are arguing in very bad faith.

It was not just an exploit script. Calendar dupe bug has been known for ages and I used to do it unknowingly, all it takes is for you to lag and click multiple times on the calendar out of frustration when the item doesn't pop up and there you have it, multiple items. Since I played with high ping this would happen often lol. GM's have been alerted like a couple of years ago, most regions don't even use the calendar for rewards but eme still does despite knowing about the bug. I'm sure someone made a script to make it more severe and impactful but it's easily reproducible by just lagging.

Apparently, the exploit they are referring to is much more than the extra click lag glitch. Although the lag glitch does represent how desperate some are for FASHION COUPONS as I doubt people were trying to quick click for any of that other stuff.

It was pretty much click glitch gone horribly terribly wrong because people knew it was exploitable and eme did nothing before the script was made which they could've, since they did know about it and all...
    I heard people were getting fashion coupons cause you could exchange for a certain reaper item that would dismantle into those new coins and you could get valuable costumes with it.

People complained that EME didn't open up that coin shop, but this is what happens when they do. Gotta wonder if they'll start wondering if it even pays to do anything nice for us anymore, cause so many find exploits around so much these days. Honestly, I could never imagine being so into a game that I would work so hard to exploit and take advantage of it.

• @CornishRex said:

@Christin said:

@CornishRex said:

@counterpoint said:

@Christin said:

@counterpoint said:

@DoctorDemento said:

FWIW, even if they had fixed that glitch, there was also a second bug that was previously unknown that would have still resulted in the same issue. You could argue that maybe if the first bug had been fixed people wouldn't have looked for the second bug, but who knows. I'm certainly not arguing that they should not have fixed the original bug when they were made aware of it (and a crapload of other known bugs besides) but my point is that none of this excuses what people did, which was extremely far beyond any line of acceptability.

• SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭✭

@counterpoint said:

@CornishRex said:

@Christin said:

@CornishRex said:

@counterpoint said:

@Christin said:

@counterpoint said:

@DoctorDemento said:

FWIW, even if they had fixed that glitch, there was also a second bug that was previously unknown that would have still resulted in the same issue. You could argue that maybe if the first bug had been fixed people wouldn't have looked for the second bug, but who knows. I'm certainly not arguing that they should not have fixed the original bug when they were made aware of it (and a crapload of other known bugs besides) but my point is that none of this excuses what people did, which was extremely far beyond any line of acceptability.

It's baffling at this point. How can a game this old still have so many internal problems (I'm gonna keep bringing up the scarf/cape glitch until it gets fixed, and that weird rollback/roll-forward that happens when traveling to a new region via pegasus/dragon can get in the bin too)?

I'm not going to blame EME for this. Instead, what will it take to convince BHS to sit down and hammer out at least some of these lumps and holes in the programming?

• @SageWindu said:
    Instead, what will it take to convince BHS to sit down and hammer out at least some of these lumps and holes in the programming?

I imagine it's one of those things where the whole thing is being held together by way too much duct tape, so some of this stuff would be easier to remove and recreate from scratch (if it's still needed) than to actually fix. The thing about the calendar specifically is that not all publishers use it, so I honestly wonder if they will fix it or will just recommend removing it.

The underlying issue (which isn't exhibited only by BHS) is that fixing bugs is seen as a "cost" whereas adding new content/features is seen as generating revenue/profit. So given the choice, their management is spending as much of their resources as possible developing new features rather than fixing bugs in old features. As the game gets older and increasingly niche, I doubt they're going to get a huge investment for fixing all the old stuff, and will probably just continue to add what they can on the shaky foundation to try to keep the game alive for as long as it makes sense.

Basically, I think TERA is a game that was designed to have a much larger audience than it ended up getting, but they found a way to make it work in a much smaller niche than they expected. As a result it doesn't have the size of team it would really need to be managed "properly" given the size and complexity of its various systems. You could argue that it's sort of a chicken-and-egg problem (one of the things holding the game back in popularity is because of the bugs and lack of proper care across all the game systems), but at this point I don't think anyone at the upper levels wants to take the risk to test that theory out.

Anyway... all of that is pure speculation, of course. Hopefully they will make a decision about the calendar soon.

• MargaretRoseMargaretRose ✭✭✭✭✭

@Christin said:

@CornishRex said:

@Christin said:

@CornishRex said:

@counterpoint said:

@Christin said:

@counterpoint said:

@DoctorDemento said:

People complained that EME didn't open up that coin shop, but this is what happens when they do. Gotta wonder if they'll start wondering if it even pays to do anything nice for us anymore, cause so many find exploits around so much these days. Honestly, I could never imagine being so into a game that I would work so hard to exploit and take advantage of it.

Amused.
    Do not believe launching the same feature other regions got is doing "anything nice for us".
    The calendar exploit and issues has been around for years. Why wasn't that addressed before?
    That could be debatable if they made a special event for our region and it was exploited.

However, of course, let's place the blame on the exploiters.
    Every time poor EME tries to do something nice for their players the exploiters ruin it.
    Guess they shouldn't bother doing anything anymore.

• edited August 28

@MargaretRose said:
    The calendar exploit and issues has been around for years. Why wasn't that addressed before?

As I mentioned above, the primary issue here (why it was so bad) involves a second additional bug/exploit that is tangentially related to (but not dependent on) the long-known one. So even if the first issue had been addressed before, this new issue could still have surfaced and resulted in the same problem. It's not so simple as blaming the fact that a known issue had not yet been fixed.

Every time poor EME tries to do something nice for their players the exploiters ruin it.

Both can be simultaneously true. Yes, the known portion of the exploit should have been dealt with sooner and who knows -- if it had, maybe the second wouldn't have been found. But also, yes, the exploiters and their excessive greed are at fault too; they knew what they did in combining these two exploits the way they did was crossing every ethical line, and they in every way deserve the ban (and indeed, some of them were doing it purely to watch the world burn).

As for the rest, this FC update only finally happened because a group of staff and non-staff worked a lot of extra hours to get this done even though it was not in any way required. It could literally have never happened and just ended as a long-ago promise dropped and forgotten (and for a long time I worried that would be the case, although I kept asking). So you don't have to be appreciative, but you could at least not be so endlessly cynical about it all. This was a genuine attempt to do something good, even if you think it was something you were "owed." I think our fashion coupon store has the largest selection of any region now, even more than EU or K-TERA, and at least that's something.

@counterpoint said:

@MargaretRose said:

As I mentioned above, the primary issue here (why it was so bad) involves a second additional bug/exploit that is tangentially related to (but not dependent on) the long-known one. So even if the first issue had been addressed before, this new issue could still have surfaced and resulted in the same problem. It's not so simple as blaming the fact that a known issue had not yet been fixed.

Both can be simultaneously true. Yes, the known portion of the exploit should have been dealt with sooner and who knows -- if it had, maybe the second wouldn't have been found. But also, yes, the exploiters and their excessive greed are at fault too; they knew what they did in combining these two exploits the way they did was crossing every ethical line, and they in every way deserve the ban (and indeed, some of them were doing it purely to watch the world burn).

As for the rest, this FC update only finally happened because a group of staff and non-staff worked a lot of extra hours to get this done even though it was not in any way required. It could literally have never happened and just ended as a long-ago promise dropped and forgotten (and for a long time I worried that would be the case, although I kept asking). So you don't have to be appreciative, but you could at least not be so endlessly cynical about it all. This was a genuine attempt to do something good, even if you think it was something you were "owed." I think our fashion coupon store has the largest selection of any region now, even more than EU or K-TERA, and at least that's something.

Believe you are mistaken, as I haven't mentioned the FC update.
    I was talking about the new coins shop, which was @Christin subject.

• edited August 28

@MargaretRose said:
    Believe you are mistaken, as I haven't mentioned the FC update.
    I was talking about the new coins shop, which was @Christin subject.

The root of the issue with coins ties back to the exploit and the FC updates -- all the issues are interconnected (as it turns out). But you're right that the way the post you were replying to phrased it implied that the coins were the root of the problem, but it wasn't really that. (Like most failures, it's the sum of a large number of little disconnected issues that compound in an unanticipated way.)

• ChristinChristin ✭✭✭✭

@MargaretRose said:

@Christin said:

@CornishRex said:

@Christin said:

@CornishRex said:

@counterpoint said:

@Christin said:

@counterpoint said:

@DoctorDemento said:

Amused.
    Do not believe launching the same feature other regions got is doing "anything nice for us".
    That could be debatable if they made a special event for our region and it was exploited.

Thanks for supporting my point. Not sure why people using exploits get so bumhurt when their desperation and hypocrisy is addressed. I mean who should we place blame on? The exploiters that create and support these type of exploits or an under-staffed publishing company just trying to keep a game afloat? Instead of making improvements to the game, they gotta police it cause so many act like a bunch of spoiled brats. Sorry if the truth hurts, but more often than not, it's those same exploiters that cry most when they don't get something they want in game.

@Christin said:

@MargaretRose said:

@Christin said:

@CornishRex said:

@Christin said:

@CornishRex said:

@counterpoint said:

@Christin said:

@counterpoint said:

@DoctorDemento said:

Amused.

Thanks for supporting my point. Not sure why people using exploits get so bumhurt when their desperation and hypocrisy is addressed. I mean who should we place blame on? The exploiters that create and support these type of exploits or an under-staffed publishing company just trying to keep a game afloat? Instead of making improvements to the game, they gotta police it cause so many act like a bunch of spoiled brats. Sorry if the truth hurts, but more often than not, it's those same exploiters that cry most when they don't get something they want in game.

Was not aware those that disagree with yourself are automatically exploiters.
    If BHS/EME actually made improvements to the game a few years ago, we wouldn't be in the current situation.
    Not saying the exploiters aren't to blame, simply saying BHS/EME shares part of the blame as well.

• DoctorDementoDoctorDemento Indiana, USA (BTW I've been playing here since late summer 2012, NOT 2016) ✭✭
    edited August 28

And the calendar continues to be broken. yes the exploiters are asshats who need to be caught and banned. But that said here are the facts. I have degree in computer science. I have 3 certs in programming. I am a retired network engineer who owned a ISP (internet service provider) here in the US for 8 years. I also did the IT work for it. I've even built servers for corps worldwide and one for NASA. I have 48 years in the computer industry. And as a side note, I've beta/alpha tested 48 games now since 1995. And as a FACT of programming, they could have fixed this years ago and could fix it today. I want to make it perfectly clear, that is NOT my opinion. That is a matter of fact by programming standards. If they want to fix it. And yes the multiple publishers with different standards does not help the problem at all. I have been here for many years and knew back in the day if they didn't fix it, it would continue to compound into a larger problem and it has. And will continue to do so until they fix it. End of story.

• edited August 28

@DoctorDemento said:
    And the calendar continues to be broken. yes the exploiters are asshats who need to be caught and banned. But that said here are the facts. I have degree in computer science. I have 3 certs in programming. I am a retired network engineer who owned a ISP (internet service provider) here in the US for 8 years. I also did the IT work for it. I've even built servers for corps worldwide and one for NASA. And as a FACT of programming, they could have fixed this years ago and could fix it today. I want to make it perfectly clear, that is NOT my opinion. That is a matter of fact by programming standards. If they want to fix it. And yes the multiple publishers with different standards does not help the problem at all. I have been here for many years and knew back in the day if they didn't fix it, it would continue to compound into a larger problem and it has. And will continue to do so until they fix it. End of story.

You don't need this appeal to authority to assert that software bugs can be fixed -- that's obvious. But as I've explained, even if they had fixed the known bug years ago, there was a second bug that was previously undisclosed that still could have caused this same exploit anyway (and this second bug contributed to making the severity of the first bug much, much higher than previously estimated). It's easy to sit here in hindsight and say that they should have seen the second bug coming, but there's no direct causality there. Maybe a full security audit of the code to look for vulnerabilities would have caught it, perhaps. (I've often said that BHS need to be trained on the age-old adage "Never trust the Client.")

At the end of the day, the calendar may never be fixed. They may just decide to deprecate the whole thing and tell the publisher to use something else to give daily rewards -- such as daily parcels or the consecutive login reward event. Due to changing staff and competing priorities, sometimes bugs just are never fixed and features abandoned entirely.

This discussion has been closed.