Daily log in event end time?

When did the daily log in event end? I claimed it on a character on Kaiator, then by the time I switched and finished a vanguard on Velika, it was already over. They could at least give us a full day to claim the last reward, some of us have to work.

Comments

• Yeah this is annoying, I just logged in and was about to complete my vanguard when it disappeared on me. I guess it's "our fault" because we didn't read all the fine print in the messages.

• I had the same problem. The event indicated that it will end at 8 p.m. PDT and in the event calendar it says 5/9 at 00 a.m.

• TJKatTJKat ✭✭✭

Actually, I did just read the fine print, it's supposed to end in about 6 1/2 hours. Why did it end early?

• Notepad806Notepad806 ✭✭
    edited September 5

Wow that seems totally unfair. I just assumed it closed when it was supposed to. I hope they reopen the event so we can get the last reward.

• Basically, the issue here is that the time that showed in the actual event UI was correct, and it was showing that it ended at 5pm PDT (when it ended), which is 12am UTC. But the announcement in the calendar window was set according to PDT instead, so it showed it ending at 12am PDT (which timezone corrected to 3am EDT, etc.). This disagreement was an error, and the event UI was correct. Unfortunately there's no way to re-enable it now because it'll reset the whole event...

Time zones strike again. Ban all time zones. :/

• TJKatTJKat ✭✭✭

So... we get short changed on the last day, too bad, so sad, that's the end of it?

Why would they end it at 5pm PDT? Going back to my OP, why wouldn't they give us a full day to claim the last reward? Ending it at 5pm is basically punishing anyone who has a job. It makes more sense that having it end at 5pm was the mistake and that it was supposed to end at 12am.

• edited September 5

@TJKat said:
    So... we get short changed on the last day, too bad, so sad, that's the end of it?

Why would they end it at 5pm PDT? Going back to my OP, why wouldn't they give us a full day to claim the last reward? Ending it at 5pm is basically punishing anyone who has a job. It makes more sense that having it end at 5pm was the mistake and that it was supposed to end at 12am.

The literal reason is because of time zones. The system for creating events (like most things) is in server time, UTC. So if they want to end something at midnight PDT, they actually have to enter it as 07:00 the next day (08:00 when Daylight Savings ends). But there are other things in the game where it tries to compensate for time zones to be "smart" and auto-convert it for you. So if you enter a time in one place as 0:00 and in another place as 0:00... it can be two completely separate things (one in UTC another in PDT). But K-TERA never runs into this because they set their server time to local time (which most IT people would agree is bad) and they don't have daylight savings time, so they're never different...

This isn't trying to excuse the inconsistency, but yeah -- so many bugs and issues over the years have been because of time zones...

At this point I'm not really sure what they can do about it -- once the event ends you can't recreate it without resetting it, and if they create a new event people who already redeemed today could get another one. There's no way to micro-target everyone who completes a vanguard between 00:00 and 07:00 UTC and send them the specific item that was next on the consecutive calendar (can't assume they were all on Day 14). So yeah... :/ The time it ended was consistent with what the Event UI said... just not what the calendar said, all due to a disagreement of time zones.

• jumping in here to make a suggestion.
    when running these "login X times" events please make them last for more than exactly X days.
    almost every other game i play gives some extra time so players can still get everything even if they miss a few days.

also, RIP dark pixie costume. i hope i can get you next time :(

• @muroph said:
    jumping in here to make a suggestion.
    when running these "login X times" events please make them last for more than exactly X days.
    almost every other game i play gives some extra time so players can still get everything even if they miss a few days.

Yeah, I agree with you. It did have one extra day (the costume was day 13 not 14), but yeah -- that's not a lot of margin and this weird half-day at the end didn't help.

• Jumping in with additional suggestion, you are better off complaining about the fact that the Velika server was down on the 1st day prohibiting the aquisiton of Day 1 rewards. And it had to be down for over an hour sometime between 9pm and 11pm PST.

and complain about this also:
    http://tera.enmasse.com/news/posts/this-week-in-tera-august-26-sept-1

Free Bundle of Experience available till September 10th is not in the market.

Ticket BOMB support!

• edited September 5

@LXDA3JNLLK said:
    and complain about this also:
    http://tera.enmasse.com/news/posts/this-week-in-tera-august-26-sept-1

Free Bundle of Experience available till September 10th is not in the market.

Ticket BOMB support!

This bundle is available on the in-game store.

https://puu.sh/EdwOT/b2aec10623.png

As for Velika being down that day, the reset for the event did not happen during the outage. I earned all 14 days rewards equally on both servers.

Please don't ticket bomb support for no reason.

• What can i say except thank you. /s

Dumb time to end the event, there is probably a lot of people with the same problem.
    I remember reading somewhere the end time and its was misleading.

Im sad that i lost the reward, and a bit annoyed because the event end time wasnt specified correctly.
  • TJKatTJKat ✭✭✭

@counterpoint said:

@muroph said:
    jumping in here to make a suggestion.

Yeah, I agree with you. It did have one extra day (the costume was day 13 not 14), but yeah -- that's not a lot of margin and this weird half-day at the end didn't help.

The previous log in event DID have an extra day (maybe even two?) - which was good because yet another timezone issue didn't count one of my logins - so I'm not sure why they wouldn't do that again this time.

I'm also convinced the "weird half-day" 5pm end time is the mistake. First, ending at 5pm just... doesn't make sense. For a lot of reasons. Second, the calendar notice (and it's midnight PDT end time) was posted before the event (and it's UI's 5pm PDT end time) started. And third, having to input different times in different places because some compensate for time zones and some don't throws the door wide open for mistakes like this to happen.

It's very frustrating if nothing can be done about people who lost out on today's login. I get that it's not proper "server protocol" but honestly, it seems like they'd solve so many headaches if they just set their servers to local time.

• edited September 5

@TJKat said:
    I get that it's not proper "server protocol" but honestly, it seems like they'd solve so many headaches if they just set their servers to local time.

Nah because then you get into a whole other problem called "Daylight Savings Time" -- the only thing worse than time zones... You'd have to set the servers to PST and then throughout the entire summer everything would be off by one... It only works in markets like Korea and Japan because they don't have have daylight savings (and their entire player market is really in the same time zone). If we could finally get rid of DST, that'd be swell...

• @counterpoint

item was in webshop at begining of event, no reason for them to remove it / ofuscate it. I shouldn't have to troll through various shops in multiple locations to find it. The problem on point is CONSISTANCY, CLARITY, and COMPITANCY all under which my point is relevant, as all are lacking.

Ticket BOMB support.

Perhaps they just might learn from their mistakes if their customers get vocal?