[TERA PC] With anniversary concluded and our servers stabilized, we are re-enabling the Adventure Coin system, starting 10 a.m. PT on June 5 (Fri) with the scheduled Weekend Dungeon Highlight. Thank you for understanding.
[TERA PC] We confirmed that an issue with Civil Unrest persists, so Civil Unrest will remain disabled until further notice. Thank you for understanding.

So about that dragon boat...

I, like lots of other players love mounts and we have been waiting for the Dragon Boat to hit the shores of NA. So with the announcements comes the news we can get it...yay right? No! I re-read the announcement three times in dumbfounded amazement. Now I don't usually complain about things, and I certainly don't mind working hard to get something. But that something has to be doable. Sure there are going to be players in HO+3 who think 25 Bahaar runs in one week...piece of cake. But for the rest of us mere mortals that go to school, work, have lives...go outside once in a while, maybe hang out with people we care about, that is insane. I don't get the reasoning behind making this super cool thing and then making certain only a tiny handful of people who really want it can actually get it. Why? What is the thought process behind that?

Comments

• ChristinChristin ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

No doubt it will be in loot boxes sometime in the near future. I wouldn't fret about it too much.

Look at how upset so many got about the Dark Pixie costume yet most of us got at least one from the login event.

• That is true...but I still just don't get the reasoning behind making this so hard. If it's to sell coins to do the dungeons, then yeah I get that part. It's a business and they want to earn money. But to even get to 456 is difficult because enchant RNG is so bad. So why make this so hard on top of it all?

• @Fainall said:
    So why make this so hard on top of it all?

Probably a combination of factors:

• They simply want certain things to be rare. See the cost of the Discoball during the summer event as another recent example. It's a kind a repeating theme for both them and Bluehole in general. (See the fellowship system for the Partners/Companions as one of the more egregious examples for what Bluehole considers intended design.)
    • EME's periodic largesse seems to have been spent on Unity Stoles for this event block, since giving every character that reaches 66 one kind of deviates from their previous stance of making those rare rewards. (Then again, inducement to get people to leveling at all, so probably need something like that to motivate a number of people to get even started.)
    • EME has not shied away in the past from making events that are blatantly aimed at just the most geared people, even outright saying that others need not apply. (And to be fair to them, they do provide things for other skill/gear tiers here, just not what people necessarily want. But that gets into the wanted rarity and exclusivity issue, rather than outright excluding people entirely in event design.)
    • There is also a repeating pattern that EME and Bluehole both seem to try to set certain things up so that they are a challenge for the most dedicated, which leaves those less dedicated looking at a mountain that seems very much like that Dwarf Fortress meme picture about the learning curve.
    • Adding some value to having Elite, since without it this is pretty much impossible at all without using extra coins (be it leftovers from events/rewards or buying them). If it were easier to get, then you wouldn't run right up into that area where you need the extra regen and higher coin cap. People keep blasting them about Elite not being worth it or not adding enough value.
    • They do sell coins, so not being able to play to their whims pushes you to get those to still get it done. The basic F2P mentality really; technically possible to do without paying anything, but it's much easier if you do. Doubly so if you want to play on your schedule, rather than theirs.
  • Truthfully it doesn't push me to want to do anything but consider cancelling my subscription and finding a different game. I get that it's just a mount and not that important. But it is something that a lot of people were really wanting and it's the way they have rolled this out. There is already such a division between elitists and the rest of us scrubs. But even with all the cash based stuff, great gear, etc...25 Bahaar runs? You are going to walk away with carpal tunnel and a backside that is spread to twice it's normal size. What they are asking isn't even healthy. I realize they don't care, but still. It just seems crazy to expect people to do that and makes me wonder if anyone on staff actually plays the game to know how much that really is.

• I find it insane. They could have done this better.
    It shouldn't just be exclusive to the upper high end stuff.
    This is just saying you suck to the rest of the 99% of the playerbase. Simple and plain.
    No one here is saying we need it just as easy as them, but a way to get it would have been nice.

And is this supposed to be the response to the enchanting event that EU had cause it's pretty bad.

• TJKatTJKat ✭✭✭

You guys are forgetting who EME seems considers the target audience for this game: no-lifers who swipe. The rest of us are just here at their sufferance.

But I agree with the sentiment here; making it hard is one thing, making it virtually impossible is another. This doesn't inspire me to buy coins in the cash shop, or to start buying Elite again, it inspires me to not play.

• If the event was do one hard dungeon of one of the three weeks 25 times for the mount will be more rewarding for everyone( in my opinion )since not everyone has the gear and time to do bahaar 25 times and run a hard dungeon 25 times its so time demanding.

• out of all of them I only like DFHM :(

• edited September 2019

@Ellexem said:

@Fainall said:
    So why make this so hard on top of it all?

Probably a combination of factors: [...]

Honestly, I think your analysis is spot on as to why it is this way. Every once in a while, EME (and BHS) seems to like to run events that are just there to reward the hardest of the hardcore players, and this aspect of this event seems to be one of those. I am guessing that the reward will eventually be made available other ways, but this is basically a "timed exclusive" to reward the most dedicated players. And yeah, it sucks because it means 99% of us won't get it, but that's also what makes it "bragging rights" to the people who get it. It's basically like a time-limited ultra-rare achievement.

Not saying that I totally agree with this, but at the same time I kind of understand it because games need their "platinum trophies" too. (Personally I've never been a "100% all achievements" person...)

• I guess. I just think they chose the wrong item to do this with. In another thread a lot of people were asking for that mount. Quite frankly with as much effort and time I have put into trying to even get my gear up (as I am sure so many other people have) to do those dungeons and seeing the word fail over and over and over trying to upgrade...this just feels harsh piled on top of it. And I am not sure sitting at your comp doing 75 dungeons over 3 weeks to get a mount is actually something to brag about. Thank you all for your responses!

• ZoknahalZoknahal ✭✭✭✭✭

Still dont get why they couldnt just spread the coins through all of the tiers, and increase the price of the mount accordingly.

From my understanding, the mount is a simple cosmetic, simple flying mount, it doesnt come with buffs or anything special that would justify the difficulty on getting it.

• TJKatTJKat ✭✭✭

@Fainall said:
    I am not sure sitting at your comp doing 75 dungeons over 3 weeks to get a mount is actually something to brag about.

^^This.

Sugar coating it with words like "hardest of the hardcore" and "most dedicated" players doesn't suddenly make it an admirable achievement. "Saddest of the sad" and "most addicted" players seems more appropriate.

• MargaretRoseMargaretRose ✭✭✭✭✭

@TJKat said:

@Fainall said:
    I am not sure sitting at your comp doing 75 dungeons over 3 weeks to get a mount is actually something to brag about.

^^This.

Sugar coating it with words like "hardest of the hardcore" and "most dedicated" players doesn't suddenly make it an admirable achievement. "Saddest of the sad" and "most addicted" players seems more appropriate.

I mean, it's not like it will later be released in a loot box like mentioned previously.
    So it's a sense of accomplishment.
    Right?

Like the actual satisfaction of hunting world bosses for months only to have them nerfed so bad anyone can do it within a few days.
    Or dungeons that get nerfed to the ground while still having obtainable titles.
    Right?

• edited September 2019

@MargaretRose said:

@TJKat said:

@Fainall said:

^^This.

I mean, it's not like it will later be released in a loot box like mentioned previously.
    So it's a sense of accomplishment.
    Right?

If they do this, it'd be a timed exclusive. So your "prize" would be to have it before anyone else on the server, and everyone knows (for now) the only way you did this was to dedicate yourself to a lot of high-end dungeon clears in these 3 weeks. Will that motivate some people to put in the time? Probably yes. Is that the sort of thing they should be doing to motivate those sorts of hardcore players to put in more hours in the game? Who knows... We'll see how many people are running around with these mounts in a few weeks.

• tbh I kinda like the look of the boat and that makes me want to try for it, but I kinda wish that it had some kind of passive (similar to dragon or phoenix mount). I think that would inspire alot of other players as well to try to learn / master runs like bahaars (its really hard at first, but once you get the hang of it its not really too bad)