[TERA PC] With anniversary concluded and our servers stabilized, we are re-enabling the Adventure Coin system, starting 10 a.m. PT on June 5 (Fri) with the scheduled Weekend Dungeon Highlight. Thank you for understanding.
[TERA PC] We confirmed that an issue with Civil Unrest persists, so Civil Unrest will remain disabled until further notice. Thank you for understanding.

Tera in 2019. A review from MMOByte.

Comments

• ChristinChristin ✭✭✭✭

@Jerichow said:

@CornishRex said:

Frankly I have never in my life seen anyone get kicked in a leveling dungeon (that wasn't afk of course) and I've leveled well over 50 characters over the 4 years I've been playing. Much less seen anyone get kicked for gear? Or not knowing mechs? In a leveling dungeon. I wonder what was the case in reality, perhaps he meant a lvl 65 dungeon but he said he got to 64 so that's weird as hell.

I have - it's pretty awful. Was running KC right at the border of leveling dungeons and starting to get into actual gearing dungeons, and after the first boss two people started trying to kick the archer that didn't keep up in DPS. I accidentally misclicked to kick the first guy but wrote it off as a mistake. After they did it again to the person who replaced the first guy - I refused to kick them and asked to just finish the dungeon. They just trolled the party (and didn't recruit because one was party leader) - and just kept throwing up the kick vote for the next 40-ish mins until the last random decided to leave - few seconds later, I was gone too.

I sent in a pretty lengthy and scathing report for the two players but honestly I would bet money that it never amounted to anything. The problem is, that one run alone set the expectation of how the end game is for two new players, and then for me, an at-the-time +2yr Lancer main - that queuing in this game outside of a static has devolved into just toxic elitists who would rather spend an hour trolling a random party than to just finish the last boss of a dungeon a little slower because someone wasn't as sweaty, tryhard as them.

So in that regards - I fully agree with the review, being kicked for the most pathetic and arbitrary reasons by openly vocal and hostile toxic elitists probably does more damage to this game's population than a lack of content. My only regret is that I don't get to see the faces of these cancerous people when they get the notice that Tera is shutting down. That moment when they realize the game they so openly prided themselves on, with borderline hostility towards anyone 'lesser' than them is shutting down would be hilarious to watch, if only because we all know that it was their antagonistic, better-than-you attitudes they shoved in every newer player's faces was a key driving force in the downfall of this game's player count.

Again, having kicking limits would have worked here. Each player should only be allowed to vote to kick twice per day or something like that. That would stop stuff like this from happening. Maybe limit players to 2 kicks per day and if a player gets kicked 5 or more times, they get a 24 hour cool down. That would also stop players from trying to pull stuff. Again, it's tough to make everyone happy, but yeah, having some limits would at least make people think before kicking.

• WaitressWaitress ✭✭
    edited October 2019

@Christin said:
    Interesting video until he practically starts crying over getting kicked from a few dungeons. Only alternative is to not allow kicking, so yeah.
    @AlbedoBloodfallen said:
    How hard is it to look up a dungeon guide?

Oh reading these comments just drove me nuts lol. Another ex player here that pops up from time to time to state very obvious things.
    I too started at first beta, p2p, etc. Back then we didnt HAAAAAAAAAAAVE to read guides and THAT is the point!!!!!!!!!! lmao.

And as someone else said, this isn't just a Tera issue anymore.
    I'd say it's more like a newer gamer generation thing where none of them want to explain anything. None of them want to get to know anyone, everyone wants to play solo and think that they're the only person that matters. Years ago, MMOs were about teamwork. No, not in the sense that you all already read some guide that someone else typed out for you telling you exactly what to do so you don't have to use even one brain cell. You just charged in and figured it out together how it works. Sure, maybe someone in group saw a video about it. But it was NEVER this mandatory thing that it is these days where if you admit that you didn't spend 3 weeks researching the ins and outs of every single dungeon in a game you're literally trying for the first time then you get yelled at and kicked. If that was the situation, I wouldn't have played for 4 years lol.

It doesnt even make sense anyway. If I'm going to a new store in town, I don't google the owner, their family, the etiquette-I just go shopping!!! and that's how playing MMOs used to be. and that's why they're dying now. Because people went from enjoying to play and learn together to getting visibly upset and shaken at even the idea of not only having to interact with someone but to even have to interact with someone who didn't study before downloading the game like they were apparently supposed to. I feel like this entire generation has no idea what it means to explore anymore. If they don't have a guide telling them which way to wipe their behind, they're just not gonna wipe to avoid "wasting time" doing it wrong lmao god

So yes, a lot of players are at fault too. Don't act innocent and like all newbies are supposed to impress you from the jump.
    If people weren't rude to each other you'd have more players and that's that on that.

• tera's current problem is elitism.
    The easiest way to remove the elistimo is to ban all players who kick players from the pt unjustly.

but never the en masse will ban these players from the game because it must be themselves who are keeping the game alive by putting cash on tera and if they were banned that would be a big problem for the game.

the community can try to do 2 thing

1. changes the head of these elitist players, but we all know that it is useless to try to do so because the years they are used to being elitist.

2. players avoid writing "that people only know
       is crying just because it was kicked from pt "or" be don't want to be kick pt just search as class, skills, dg and boss works "

it only pushes people away because it gives the impersion that the game is too complicated.
    She just goes after an easier and more toxic game to play.

• @Christin disse:

@Jerichow said:

@CornishRex said:

Frankly I have never in my life seen anyone get kicked in a leveling dungeon (that wasn't afk of course) and I've leveled well over 50 characters over the 4 years I've been playing. Much less seen anyone get kicked for gear? Or not knowing mechs? In a leveling dungeon. I wonder what was the case in reality, perhaps he meant a lvl 65 dungeon but he said he got to 64 so that's weird as hell.

I have - it's pretty awful. Was running KC right at the border of leveling dungeons and starting to get into actual gearing dungeons, and after the first boss two people started trying to kick the archer that didn't keep up in DPS. I accidentally misclicked to kick the first guy but wrote it off as a mistake. After they did it again to the person who replaced the first guy - I refused to kick them and asked to just finish the dungeon. They just trolled the party (and didn't recruit because one was party leader) - and just kept throwing up the kick vote for the next 40-ish mins until the last random decided to leave - few seconds later, I was gone too.

I sent in a pretty lengthy and scathing report for the two players but honestly I would bet money that it never amounted to anything. The problem is, that one run alone set the expectation of how the end game is for two new players, and then for me, an at-the-time +2yr Lancer main - that queuing in this game outside of a static has devolved into just toxic elitists who would rather spend an hour trolling a random party than to just finish the last boss of a dungeon a little slower because someone wasn't as sweaty, tryhard as them.

So in that regards - I fully agree with the review, being kicked for the most pathetic and arbitrary reasons by openly vocal and hostile toxic elitists probably does more damage to this game's population than a lack of content. My only regret is that I don't get to see the faces of these cancerous people when they get the notice that Tera is shutting down. That moment when they realize the game they so openly prided themselves on, with borderline hostility towards anyone 'lesser' than them is shutting down would be hilarious to watch, if only because we all know that it was their antagonistic, better-than-you attitudes they shoved in every newer player's faces was a key driving force in the downfall of this game's player count.

Again, having kicking limits would have worked here. Each player should only be allowed to vote to kick twice per day or something like that. That would stop stuff like this from happening. Maybe limit players to 2 kicks per day and if a player gets kicked 5 or more times, they get a 24 hour cool down. That would also stop players from trying to pull stuff. Again, it's tough to make everyone happy, but yeah, having some limits would at least make people think before kicking.

I don't think it helps at all
    The only thing that happens is that it looks like guild along with several strong players and ignoring the weak and new.

creating themselves the same pt with the same strong guild members ignoring the rest.

• NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭

MMOs nowadays are representing the clash between players who want to be pre-informed in order to be as efficient with their time as possible, and players who would prefer to discover on site, which was a practice done since before the dawn of internet gaming. Toss trolls and carry seekers in between these groups as well, and we have our current MMO salad. As an older gamer, I used to pick sides before, but after sitting back and observing, I now believe that none of the approaches is actually bad or evil. They both have their low points and high points.

Problem here is, that when a party is formed, those in it usually don't know what the person next to them brings to the game session. And so of course, salt flows freely when it's discovered that player X wants a certain thing from the session and has a certain skill on it, but player Y wants something else and brings a totally different skill set. In simpler modern words, someone who wants to rush the dungeon and knows it like the back of their hand will be at constant odds with someone who joined for the first time and wants to experience every detail of said dungeon. Neither of them will stand the other guy.

And a note here. Mind that not everyone who doesn't read guides is joining dungeons to get carried. There may be a bunch of lazy ones who seek that, but there may be others who really want to learn on the go and don't want to be spoiled by guides or videos. After all, part of gaming is that sense of discovery, self learning and finally conquering. Or at least that's how gaming was back then when I started in the 80's...

So for now, all I can say is to search for like minded people and get yourself what would be called a "static" party if possible. That way you will always know what to expect from the other members and share your goals.

• @Christin said:
    I could care less at how "professional" of an MMO player he is. Kicking is part of a game, and the only way not to get kicked is be geared and know what you're doing. Kicking is part of MMO's, so if he is such a professional, he should be able to get over it. Alos, if he is such a professional, why didn't he go over a guide of the dungeon instead of crying over being kicked, because he was such a noob? He even states in the video that he didn't know the dungeon, but how is he supposed to learn? Guides buddy.

And no, I don't really have a lot of sympathy for people that don't even bother to look up guides or videos, then, go into a dungeon totally expecting to be carried and hand held the entire way through. Sure, they may not know all of the mechs, but when they gotta hide behind rocks but just stand there and die, you can't blame a team for getting annoyed. Most of the players that gripe about "elites" are simply players that feel they deserve to be carried through until they can "learn". Plus, even telling players the mechs in the dungeon doesn't work half of the time, because so many of the players don't speak English.

Maybe they should add training dungeons where players can go in and learn the mechs, solo versions of every dungeon or let players run dungeons with NPC's. Of course, they'll be trashed for hand holding like they did with the intro, but at least it will be some way for people to learn. Not sure what else they could do.

There is no excuse for kicking in sub-65 dungeons. Especially not because of gear.

Also, both of them are veterans of TERA. Learning dungeons haven't changed save for the removal of Sigil Adstrigo. I highly doubt that they are incompetent enough in those to justify a kicking.

• CornishRexCornishRex ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

@Waitress said:

@Christin said:
    Interesting video until he practically starts crying over getting kicked from a few dungeons. Only alternative is to not allow kicking, so yeah.
    @AlbedoBloodfallen said:

Oh reading these comments just drove me nuts lol. Another ex player here that pops up from time to time to state very obvious things.
    I too started at first beta, p2p, etc. Back then we didnt HAAAAAAAAAAAVE to read guides and THAT is the point!!!!!!!!!! lmao.

I'd say it's more like a newer gamer generation thing where none of them want to explain anything. None of them want to get to know anyone, everyone wants to play solo and think that they're the only person that matters. Years ago, MMOs were about teamwork. No, not in the sense that you all already read some guide that someone else typed out for you telling you exactly what to do so you don't have to use even one brain cell. You just charged in and figured it out together how it works. Sure, maybe someone in group saw a video about it. But it was NEVER this mandatory thing that it is these days where if you admit that you didn't spend 3 weeks researching the ins and outs of every single dungeon in a game you're literally trying for the first time then you get yelled at and kicked. If that was the situation, I wouldn't have played for 4 years lol.

It doesnt even make sense anyway. If I'm going to a new store in town, I don't google the owner, their family, the etiquette-I just go shopping!!! and that's how playing MMOs used to be. and that's why they're dying now. Because people went from enjoying to play and learn together to getting visibly upset and shaken at even the idea of not only having to interact with someone but to even have to interact with someone who didn't study before downloading the game like they were apparently supposed to. I feel like this entire generation has no idea what it means to explore anymore. If they don't have a guide telling them which way to wipe their behind, they're just not gonna wipe to avoid "wasting time" doing it wrong lmao god

So yes, a lot of players are at fault too. Don't act innocent and like all newbies are supposed to impress you from the jump.
    If people weren't rude to each other you'd have more players and that's that on that.

I believe it also heavily depends on the content. Old dungeons used to be more self explanatory and mechs were much easier to explain. Nowadays I'd have a hard time explaining some bosses in a concise way. You didn't need to read guides back then because dungeons really, really were more simple. At most there were a couple of mechs per boss which were fairly simple and only required you to pay some attention to what's going on.

And yes, players are at fault. Friendly communities still exist in tera. But some newbies insist on using ims to learn which is quite the risk. I always explain mechs in ims if needed don't get me wrong, but there are guilds that would gladly go on an exploring adventure with you even today. Just go look at the guild advertisements in tera discords, there's a decent number of friendly and casual/learning guilds trying to get members. Randoms in ims are 50/50, some will have fun wiping for 2 hours and trying to clear, some won't. You can't expect everyone to want to "explore" with you when they explored that dungeon over 200 times already, sadly. That's why there are means of clearing dungeons other than ims such as making friends, joining guilds, making learning lfgs etc. But that requires some work and patience. As for the toxic players, I wish that could change but man some people take games too seriously today. I don't know why they have high standards in ims, just as I don't get why newbies expect everyone to teach them in ims. There's two sides of the coin and both have some self-reflecting to do.

• FainallFainall ✭✭✭

I have played this game a year and a half now. Not nearly as long as some, but long enough. I don't mind working and learning something, but I also look upon this as what it is...a game. Games are supposed to be fun. I shouldn't have to read a book, watch a feature length movie 3 times and take 25 pages of notes to learn each dungeon. Especially when many of them are ever changing. I want a challenge, not a second job. That is the part on EME. On the community side, it is pretty rough here. I have a geared char that I have learned about. I know how to play it. Am I ever going to be at the top of my class? Probably not. Am I a little above average? I think so. Tonight I was in a dungeon. I got laughed at and made fun of for doing something wrong with my class. I asked what exactly was wrong? I have read guides, I have done what other really good players for my class have told me to do. But it's never good enough. They said I need to read a guide. Ok well...first of all...show me a guide that isn't outdated. And what am I even looking for? If you make fun of people and don't tell them what they are doing wrong how are they supposed to fix it? When you combine these two things, the desperate need to be perfect in every dungeon right from the start by endless off game studying, and the toxic nature of elite players...it's not fun. So I sat and I thought about this for a while. I went and hit that cancel subscription button as a result. I like the game, I like the aesthetics, (except for as other players have mentioned, the dreary map areas after certain levels) but I realized it's just not fun anymore. I think his assessment in the vid is spot on sadly. People complain the game is dying and they blame EME. While I do think things could be done better by them, I also think so much of the dying of the game is the player base itself. If you don't want it to die, and have people to play with, you shouldn't treat them like garbage when they are legitimately working and trying to do the best they can. There comes a point where they think why am I here?

• well it's kind of hard to want a guy who is playing for a maximum of 2 weeks to have equipment and abilities of a player who has more than 3 years of play.

elitist just want to do pt with other strong player.
    plus all elitists forget that for a player to become a strong veteran in 1 game, he must first be a beginner in the game first.

most likely when the game could not be saved, these elitists will change the way they think, but it will be too late

• FainallFainall ✭✭✭

@Waitress said:

@Christin said:
    @AlbedoBloodfallen said:

If I could like this post 100 times I would! lol I was leveling a nubby alt yesterday and got to Necromancer's. It really struck me (once again) at how people in a party don't get that it's not just about them. The que popped, I went in instantly. One person loaded in right beside me, the other person was already 3 rooms ahead having killed everything. Cause why would you want to wait for the rest of your party right? They don't deserve that exp from the first few mobs. As long as you can run ahead and solo everything who cares about the other people in your party. /endsarcasm Honestly if I could find just a few more people with your mindset, I might actually be inclined to stay on the game. But you my friend are a dying breed.

• @Waitress said:

@Christin said:
    @AlbedoBloodfallen said:

I liked your comment haha basically you told these two idiots the truth.

• TJKatTJKat ✭✭✭

@Fainall said:
    The que popped, I went in instantly. One person loaded in right beside me, the other person was already 3 rooms ahead having killed everything. Cause why would you want to wait for the rest of your party right? They don't deserve that exp from the first few mobs. As long as you can run ahead and solo everything who cares about the other people in your party. /endsarcasm

What blows me away is that this behavior is bad for the person in a rush too. You get, what? A 400% boost to xp when the full party is IN the dungeon. In leveling dungeons, the xp you get from mobs IS significant, so it makes no sense to rush ahead like that.

• edited October 2019

@Waitress said:

@Christin said:
    @AlbedoBloodfallen said:

First, Cringe. Second, NO. You whining about generations adds nothing to the conversation. The fact that you already said that guides are out there proves you had the opportunity to learn it and you voluntarily turned it down. It then follows to show that your attitude is the problem. Tera is an old game and unlike in the 80s or whatever irrelevant date you want to throw out like it means anything, many people already know the dungeons and don't want to facilitate "Exploring" or whatever you want to call it.

Guides are not mandatory, but ignoring them of your own volition is your flaw. Elitists didn't block you from looking at a guide. YOU chose not to look at it and then whine on the forums. For someone who has time to play games as long as you had, looking at a guide for an hour or so doesn't seem too hard, but then again, your being very hyperbolic in this.

Yet again, you feeling something doesn't make people who just want to get their dungeon runs over and not wait around while you "explore" in the wrong or make them some generational problem. You say you think the generation thinks everything is about them but turn around and expect people to give you THEIR time while you "explore".

Your little hyperbolic rant about "3 weeks researching a dungeon" means that you are unwilling to learn in an effective way and expect the party to suffer because of YOUR attitude.

Your red herring analogy about a store in town is not in any way like a mmo dungeon.
    With a store, most of the time it's only you shopping.
    With a party in a mmo there are other people besides yourself.
    For someone who says the new generation is only thinking of themselves, your analogy says a lot.

As for you saying people don't want to waste time and wipe for doing it wrong, there is nothing wrong with that. Who in their right mind would want to wipe and waste time just because someone intentionally decided to not look up a guide?
    You're being entitled. Stop it.

• FainallFainall ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

@AlbedoBloodfallen said:

@Waitress said:

@Christin said:
    @AlbedoBloodfallen said:

First, Cringe. Second, NO. You whining about generations adds nothing to the conversation. The fact that you already said that guides are out there proves you had the opportunity to learn it and you voluntarily turned it down. It then follows to show that your attitude is the problem. Tera is an old game and unlike in the 80s or whatever irrelevant date you want to throw out like it means anything, many people already know the dungeons and don't want to facilitate "Exploring" or whatever you want to call it.

Guides are not mandatory, but ignoring them of your own volition is your flaw. Elitists didn't block you from looking at a guide. YOU chose not to look at it and then whine on the forums. For someone who has time to play games as long as you had, looking at a guide for an hour or so doesn't seem too hard, but then again, your being very hyperbolic in this.

Yet again, you feeling something doesn't make people who just want to get their dungeon runs over and not wait around while you "explore" in the wrong or make them some generational problem. You say you think the generation thinks everything is about them but turn around and expect people to give you THEIR time while you "explore".

Your little hyperbolic rant about "3 weeks researching a dungeon" means that you are unwilling to learn in an effective way and expect the party to suffer because of YOUR attitude.

Your red herring analogy about a store in town is not in any way like a mmo dungeon.
    With a store, most of the time it's only you shopping.
    With a party in a mmo there are other people besides yourself.
    For someone who says the new generation is only thinking of themselves, your analogy says a lot.

As for you saying people don't want to waste time and wipe for doing it wrong, there is nothing wrong with that. Who in their right mind would want to wipe and waste time just because someone intentionally decided to not look up a guide?
    You're being entitled. Stop it.

Playing a game IS wasting time. It's not like you are out there finding a cure for cancer or solving world hunger. But I am curious about something...do you have fun while you are playing Tera? Actual fun the way you should have while wasting time and playing a game? Do you smile when you play this game Albedo? Because you are always so serious and so vitriolic to people who don't take it as serious as you. You do understand that it's exactly this type of attitude that drives people away from Tera right? You can be all serious and blame people for not wanting to read guides and go off game to learn things, but a day will come when there will be 3 people left on this game because of this type of attitude. Is that what you want? Or can you possibly try to see other points of view sometimes? Not everyone has the same goals as you. Some people just like to play the game for FUN!

• SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

@AlbedoBloodfallen
    Okay, I'm lost. Some people just want to, you know... play the game and not have to do extra research. How is that being entitled?

I can't believe some of you guys. "He's whining about getting kicked he shoulda read a guide lol" No other game community I've been in, MMO or otherwise, has this invisible rule about looking up guides. Worse yet, even if someone does go the extra mile and does advanced research, they can still get kicked, shunned, and ostracized for their mistakes because there's not an insignificant amount of people who demand perfection in everything.

And, of course, that's before we get into the fact that reading about a dungeon is not the same as actually experiencing it. I've been in parties where we read guides for literal days on end and it still took 2 hours for our first clear.

Everyone reading this, if nothing else, think about this: what other gaming community almost demands that you do advanced research to play the game and do you honestly think that's good for both the game and the players therein?

Edit: Some words.

This discussion has been closed.