Saving Tera?(Long Post)

So the playerbase is obviously declining and it's a shame. Tera had alot of potential and still I haven't found a replacement. I know some people have their own new MMOs but that's not the point. The question im interested in is what could Tera do to save itself now? Keep you playing? Draw in more people? I've got a bit of a rant of my own thoughts I tried to keep organized.

Make a system similar to the old Vanarch system to help guilds, encourage non toxicity/helping players, and it's just more content. Not the same but something that would essentially do the same maybe just change what the Vanarch does.
Instead of needing to pay for guild wars make it something free you register for weekly that gives rewards. Helps guilds, more content, and encourages people to log in more often to help out it least on days it's going on. A different kind of guild fight might be better though. Maybe 2 or 3 times a week for a few hours theres a battleground or event where you take and control towers like a cross between FWC and the Crusades. Just something that satisfies the purpose and is enjoyable.
A guild shop that improves with guild accomplishments and activity.
A guild leaderboard either for overall participation or for a competitive type of guild battle.

Reintroduce PVP leaderboards.
A reason most people dont want to get into PVP is they say "Its all just seeing how long you can keep people stunned as you try to bring them from 100-0 in one go". I agree less CC effects in PVP would bring in more people to try. Obviously they want to make getting hit seem dangerous so if that is an issue maybe more dmg? Though that could hurt defensive classes. More pushback effects instead to make locks harder? Making CC effects hard to land could reduce complaints, add skill, and keep them rewarding. Just ideas.
Some people have issues with lag in duels especially in big cities. A quick arena you can go into temporarily with just 2 people to duel could be good. Tera's version of Final Destination. Maybe they could even have a spectator system. And/or you could make it a ranked thing.

I see a fair number of people complaining about classes being race locked but not anyone defending it. Personally I dont care too much and some is lore related like the Reapers and I'd prefer story ones to stay as they are however for the ones that arent excused more people WOULD play if they were not locked so it's worth mentioning.

Log in rewards or rewards for being active a certain amount even if you're just randomly occasionally getting an item in your inbox with a short thank you message a limited times a month so people arent afking to get them. You want it to make people happy but not make them feel they HAVE to login and play or they're falling behind.

In PVE more reactionary bosses and less mechanics based bosses. Both are good to have but Tera as an action combat based game stands out the best for its combat and should focus on that more.

You'll get some toxic comments but hold polls, contests, and have an open one way channel for people to just send ideas to you for new content they want in the game. People will see you care, you'll have more of an idea of what people want, they'll feel involved in making the game they want, and they are doing your job for you. Free labor lol. Give the winners or good ideas shout outs in recognition, maybe prizes for their characters and include their stuff in the game. Design a monster or dungeon contests could be SO COOL people would be tuned in hyped for Tera news updates just to have a chance at getting stuff in the game. Plus free employee design team scouting.

You might say I'm saying to try too many rewards and you'll be losing money. You will make SO MUCH more money having a game people will want to keep coming back to for years and sharing with friends than one that starves people for gold and gear exp for profits now. Grow and maintain the games player base and the money will come. Especially since everyone wants those skins haha. And you can always add content that isnt just power creeped gear so people need to keep buying stuff for an endless stat grind, but that adds new areas for people to work on self improving in the game. More content, more fun, no drawbacks aside from start up production for the updates. And the rewards dont need to be amazing just nice enough stuff that it encourages people to be active and try new content.
Endgame is just waiting for dungeons and trying to improve your gear down the linear path all your characters share. People leave cause they feel they arent doing anything/are doing just the same thing and therefore theres no point in staying logged in or even playing Tera at all. Which is why I'm moving for weekly/monthly(/yearly?) goals to work on, reasons to log in, and more stuff to do.

Anyways that's it for now. Obviously the game has ALOT of problems but I want to hear what they are and your ideas on how they COULD fix/improve things. Not that I think they will but discussion is fun.

Comments

• MargaretRoseMargaretRose ✭✭✭✭✭

It's like beating a dead horse at this point.

• kori83kori83 ✭✭
    edited October 2019

@Breach3440 said:
    So the playerbase is obviously declining and it's a shame. Tera had alot of potential and still I haven't found a replacement. I know some people have their own new MMOs but that's not the point. The question im interested in is what could Tera do to save itself now? Keep you playing? Draw in more people? I've got a bit of a rant of my own thoughts I tried to keep organized.

Endgame is just waiting for dungeons and trying to improve your gear down the linear path all your characters share. People leave cause they feel they arent doing anything/are doing just the same thing and therefore theres no point in staying logged in or even playing Tera at all. Which is why I'm moving for weekly/monthly(/yearly?) goals to work on, reasons to log in, and more stuff to do.

It's an aging game, almost 8 years now, no one is going to invest more money or effort into it. Be thankful we're still getting content updates.
    I'm gonna provide a couple of points here:

As an exclusively PVE player (hence I can't comment on the PVP side of things), Developer tinkering with the Endgame is what really killed it for me. Personally, I may not have been playing long, but I have seen and heard it all from various friends and cousins over the years. Wonderholme, Masterworking, Schisma, level cap 60, then 65, then 70... etc. the list goes on. With each new big patch, the game got progressively worse.

How to fix it? I don't know. Tbh, I doubt the Krafton team does, either. The game has a mind of it's own now, like the national Debt or an unwinnable war. No one person (or team) can provide an easy solution, without pissing someone off or drastically altering the existing situation. Sadly, there is no magic bullet, no one-size-fits-all patch to fix it at this point. It's gotten to where the only thing left is to eventually pull the plug.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, so I'm gonna say, for starters, the Developers really, really need to stop messing around with the Gear system. I don't like the current HO system, but, I can live with it.
    Come later this year, with the new Legendary Gearing System - it's gonna tank the playerbase even further.

This may stop the bleeding, but that might be all that can be done for this game.

And since you mentioned Log-in bonuses. Krafton really needs to fix the Calendar. FFS, it's been offline for 2 months now - it can't take that long to fix. Neglecting things like that, really shows they don't care anymore.

@MargaretRose said:
    It's like beating a dead horse at this point.

I couldn't agree more, the time for actually fixing the game was long past.

• FainallFainall ✭✭✭

What I don't understand about the new gear system, they said they wanted to make it easier to upgrade....ok well instead of a new gear system why not just adjust the rng/fail rates on the existing system? Wouldn't that have been simpler to code and more satisfying to the players? I kind of suspect they think new gear will get people playing again. Oh we have to do dungeons to get the new gear. But what they don't understand is with most people it has the opposite effect. You work for months on end to get to HO and suddenly sorry that isn't what you should have now, do it all over again for this new thing. No. People are exhausted, they don't want to start over.

• @Breach3440 said:

Make a system similar to the old Vanarch system to help guilds, encourage non toxicity/helping players, and it's just more content. Not the same but something that would essentially do the same maybe just change what the Vanarch does.
    Instead of needing to pay for guild wars make it something free you register for weekly that gives rewards. Helps guilds, more content, and encourages people to log in more often to help out it least on days it's going on. A different kind of guild fight might be better though. Maybe 2 or 3 times a week for a few hours theres a battleground or event where you take and control towers like a cross between FWC and the Crusades. Just something that satisfies the purpose and is enjoyable.
    A guild shop that improves with guild accomplishments and activity.
    A guild leaderboard either for overall participation or for a competitive type of guild battle.

Reintroduce PVP leaderboards.
    A reason most people dont want to get into PVP is they say "Its all just seeing how long you can keep people stunned as you try to bring them from 100-0 in one go". I agree less CC effects in PVP would bring in more people to try. Obviously they want to make getting hit seem dangerous so if that is an issue maybe more dmg? Though that could hurt defensive classes. More pushback effects instead to make locks harder? Making CC effects hard to land could reduce complaints, add skill, and keep them rewarding. Just ideas.
    Some people have issues with lag in duels especially in big cities. A quick arena you can go into temporarily with just 2 people to duel could be good. Tera's version of Final Destination. Maybe they could even have a spectator system. And/or you could make it a ranked thing.

I see a fair number of people complaining about classes being race locked but not anyone defending it. Personally I dont care too much and some is lore related like the Reapers and I'd prefer story ones to stay as they are however for the ones that arent excused more people WOULD play if they were not locked so it's worth mentioning.

Log in rewards or rewards for being active a certain amount even if you're just randomly occasionally getting an item in your inbox with a short thank you message a limited times a month so people arent afking to get them. You want it to make people happy but not make them feel they HAVE to login and play or they're falling behind.

In PVE more reactionary bosses and less mechanics based bosses. Both are good to have but Tera as an action combat based game stands out the best for its combat and should focus on that more.

You'll get some toxic comments but hold polls, contests, and have an open one way channel for people to just send ideas to you for new content they want in the game. People will see you care, you'll have more of an idea of what people want, they'll feel involved in making the game they want, and they are doing your job for you. Free labor lol. Give the winners or good ideas shout outs in recognition, maybe prizes for their characters and include their stuff in the game. Design a monster or dungeon contests could be SO COOL people would be tuned in hyped for Tera news updates just to have a chance at getting stuff in the game. Plus free employee design team scouting.

You might say I'm saying to try too many rewards and you'll be losing money. You will make SO MUCH more money having a game people will want to keep coming back to for years and sharing with friends than one that starves people for gold and gear exp for profits now. Grow and maintain the games player base and the money will come. Especially since everyone wants those skins haha. And you can always add content that isnt just power creeped gear so people need to keep buying stuff for an endless stat grind, but that adds new areas for people to work on self improving in the game. More content, more fun, no drawbacks aside from start up production for the updates. And the rewards dont need to be amazing just nice enough stuff that it encourages people to be active and try new content.

Anyways that's it for now. Obviously the game has ALOT of problems but I want to hear what they are and your ideas on how they COULD fix/improve things. Not that I think they will but discussion is fun.

I for one agree with you here, There isn't too much motivation. Once you have experienced all the combat, that's about it. The questing is droll at times even with the good lore. The crafting and gathering system needs a way to make gathering/crafting good. Gathering sucks and is semi pointless other than getting mats for certain recipies and gathering is not a good money maker unless you roll unethically. Most mats sell really low on the broker and are rarely used after unlocking some recipies. I know quite a few people that would love a gathering system that mattered.

• Ooh already comments. I got responses and more ideas here. Some kinda far out maybe too big definitely for now, maybe disliked, maybe dumb but that's brainstorming. Yeah there is no one solution, the game almost needs a COMPLETE overhaul but there are SO MANY things they can improve on they just aren't. They really are just waiting for it to die mostly. It would be a slow process fixing it. A little update at a time. Double Vanguard Legion reward events arent exactly calling new players. Teras been out for a decade and they have just been removing content. When the game came out it had dozens of millions of players and every year Youtubers still make "Is it worth it to play Tera in 20xx" and it still gets included in top 10 MMO lists. The comments are always full of people that want to come back or try it who do have fun at first but notice it's the same as it was years back but dumbed down with less stuff to do and less players than before so they quit again. People WANT to play Tera. They WANT it to be good. I feel like it COULD be saved it least for another decade or so but they would have to start like now if it's not already too late. If these players saw it revamped with new and exciting stuff and the things people arent fans of are fixed people will spread the word to new players it's worth trying and old players will come back in time. It least in my opinion it could have a second wind. If MMOs like WOW and Runescape still live then Tera with what it has and they dont could if treated properly. Im just mad the game kept going this way for so long they let it go to this. What do games like WOW have that Tera lacks is what the developers should look at.

YES to those who mentioned it I HATE how they keep just making gear to have higher levels to upgrade and increasing the character level cap. It is the laziest thing in the world and it invalidates older dungeons. It's not content it's something that makes you have to grind more which people DONT LIKE and it makes the content people already have mastered and are growing bored of because of it even easier. Power creep needs to be very slow while it's almost inevitable. It will not save the game but it will push away people who are sick of it as mentioned.

Also shout out to the gathering and crafting comment. Very true.

More open world things to do could also improve the game. Again make gathering it least decent. People seem to like fishing it least. People complain they only see people in cities. Area bosses stronger than BAMs that can drop good stuff maybe could be nice. Aggressive tanky bois like BAMs originally were supposed to be where you want a small party to defeat. Randomly spawning dungeons maybe like Rift Dungeons around the world would have people exploring. Random treasure chests spawning occasionally. Secret dungeons you cant queue for but can find like maybe a cave going to an underwater temple. It's an MMO so their locations will be spoiled in chat but still cool. You could make them appear on certain times to make it more exciting when open. Maybe incorporate a moon cycle system or something so it feels more like a real world and the secret dungeons could open at certain stages of the cycle. So not a certain time of day or week. People also love world events. People like in other games stuff where NPCs can get killed in certain towns if people dont defend them from an invasion and it matters when a raid happens on it. Alot of peoples favorite WOW "event" was the glitch that spread a virus through the world. People naturally built camps with healers to heal the sick, defenders cut down infected monsters, some people tried to SPREAD the disease, cities were quarantined by players. I'm not saying do a world wide thing but it least once try one event that affects the place with plenty of notice on a single town or area. Maybe make an add on to the map though I know it's a ton of work where events like raids would happen. Get a Defender achievement and prize for participation. And make it rarely occuring. If people like it you can go big and do one on Velika or something sometime. Get NPCs and siege weapons into it. PVE Corsairs. Careful of lag though if the participation in events problem turned into a too many want to show up problem it's an easier one to fix and better one to have.

I would like items that can grant skills other than the characters skills. Not necessarily combat ones. Just fun ones like scrying to make it more likely to gather something good like you predicted where good stuff is or to watch players or areas from afar for a certain time limit. An item that teleports you to one binded location. A ring that shoots fireworks. Grindable without powercreep. And a fun grind. Grinding for gold isn't exciting. Grinding for a rare drop is(not for everyone, I know I know) and this like I said avoids powercreep and people dont feel forced to participate to keep up.

A homunculus system like in Summoners War or the anime/etc Overlord where you can build a monster NPC for certain content. Individual or guild monster who knows just spitballing. Choosing their build and skills, leveling them up, making them with more powerful and rare items gtten from special bosses around the world on the map will make them stronger. Or a smaller battle pet sort of thing to build. Grindable without powercreep as they'll be for specific game modes. Game modes are the way to go for new content making irrelevant things relevant and more things to improve and grind for without just a higher level cap.

Just more kinds of builds in general. I know they wanted to mix PVP and PVE together in one set and people never have to think about anything but I want more of a difference in what my skills, armor effects, and weapons do. Thinking about it is fun. It adds depth to the game without excluding new people who arent sure what they're doing from having a good set. It's just somewhere deeper you can go down the rabbit hole. The freedom of going as deep as you want into the technical side without punishing you for not makes Disgaea a hit. You can keep your generic all around good gear Guardian+ but some rare dungeon equipment having less stats but unique abilities you can get from dungeons could be fun and its a way to get people to grind without just blatantly raising a level cap. It's not a feel bad update but promotes grinding and isnt DIRECT powercreep though there could be some small amount as a certain build could be better for specific things but that's NATURAL powercreep. Not forced blatantly raising numbers requiring a time sink to stay relevant. That's powercreep done right. Your character could also be more unique to you. Alot of work and balancing needed though before a release. Getting a rare drop and seeing what your weapon can do would be cool. We do have to be careful how much we change and how fast to keep things feeling like Tera but a system like that would take years anyways and again just spitballing ideas.
  • edited November 2019

On my point of view, that game is "dying" because the owners are dumb and greedy (and other problems).

• All nice stuff cost EMP, and great part of it can't be found on shop, then we need to buy it from other players for a niiiiice money.
    • Costumes are soulbound when used, then we can't even swap it between other characters from the same account.
    • Costumes have gender and race variations, but armors don't.
    • Bad ping with some places, what makes the skills CD and delay bad and PVP experience worse.
    • 51,8 f*ucking GB.
    • Bad advertising, like they don't want to lure new players and keep draining the remaining ones.
    • A lot of items to use on creations or the special shops, but not even the half of the needed space for all this on bank.
    • All that effot to use these items will be in vain after some updates, because some armor set stronger than yours will be released even for free on Returning Player Event.
    • Quests that doesn't explain where you need to go or what to to. Not even a simple clue on the map or quest info.
    • No more Kumasylum. I've trained to be a nice carrier (like, aways climb on the blocks on the first try) and was even good with the kumas, never surrendering. I loved Kumasylum.
    • Low new classes releases per time. (I would love a summoner class, like Mystic, but focused on summoning and able to create a army)
      * Ninjas can't run on water.

• Bad controller support. When I plug my iPega controller, only the directional sticks work fine and the other buttons be all swapped. Just a option to create and save profiles would be nice. I needed to buy a new xbox controller just for this game.

• Naming options on character creation pretty limited.
    • Character creation screen disconects from server if I take some minutes to choose some details, and I only notice that when applying the name, then I need to do all again from the start, faster on every try, till I finally skip some details (already wanting to kill the developers) and jump to the name confirmation.

Did you know what I feel the way the game is?
    I feel that even buying skins on League of Legends, where they mess with the champions during a rework and don't offer a refund option for the skins of that champion, is a better "investment" than spending even $1 on Tera. I only call friends who I know that don't like to spend money on online games, because Tera simply don't deserve it.
    I just enjoy creating new chars with new classes and leveling wile looking at the beautiful scenery, because the endgame is lame for me.