[TERA PC] With anniversary concluded and our servers stabilized, we are re-enabling the Adventure Coin system, starting 10 a.m. PT on June 5 (Fri) with the scheduled Weekend Dungeon Highlight. Thank you for understanding.
[TERA PC] We confirmed that an issue with Civil Unrest persists, so Civil Unrest will remain disabled until further notice. Thank you for understanding.

Tera in 2019. A review from MMOByte.

Comments

• @allofspaceandtime said:

@PP597W94LA said:
    plus i think it creates a server only for "serious player" (server where only those who spend money enter)
    would send that "serious players" waste their time with "new players" who do not spend money on the game

they could always create a training server, where everyone there starts at level 65, not able to buy cosmetics, the dungeons are always open and it is a tutorial to help people learn the dungeons. then you can go back to your normal servers with your regular characters and be able to run with the elites

Well, the other way to do this (as seen in certain other MMOs) could be to offer a solo version of the dungeons with NPCs. That way you could do that for your first attempt and it gives you the chance to learn and explore by doing. Wouldn't necessarily have to be a requirement, but I think there is a fairly sizable audience who prefers to learn mechanics without the pressure of having to be perfect the first time. This wouldn't be to replace the team version at all (for people who say "lol solo content in an MMO"), but just another option for learning.

Not that I think something like this is on the table, but yeah, as this thread has pointed out, this is a problem that exists in many MMOs, but increases in severity as the content in question gets older.

• server test? it wouldn't work
    because there was still the gear set problem.
    The players are also kicked by the gear set and not just because they don't know the mechanics of dg.
    The only thing that changes is the fact that people talking to a novice player play the serve test instead of looking for a guide.

a test piece would work for those who like PvP
    Trying to create a limited serving as much as possible to be fair to everyone and giving the reward to the person independent of the server.

• The only thing I really don't see much of a problem would be create 2 server 1 for the "serious players" and others for the "casual" ones.

thus making any player elitist at PT in the "Serve" casual is transferred to the "serious player" serves and plays with other players who only play with "strong player".

Only problem would be the amount of player.
    This would give a new player a chance to enjoy the game and spend money on the game and if he wanted to be transferred to the "serious player" server just pay or ask him to transfer it.

• edited October 2019

@PP597W94LA said:
    The only thing I really don't see much of a problem would be create 2 server 1 for the "serious players" and others for the "casual" ones.

thus making any player elitist at PT in the "Serve" casual is transferred to the "serious player" serves and plays with other players who only play with "strong player".

Well, the whole problem with this is IMS, anyway, and even if you had two different servers they'd still meet each other in IMS. The answer would either have to be "the two servers have separate IMS pools" (which would result in longer queues, and you almost might as well just go back to standing near the portal to form parties like original TERA) or "one group or the other should just create static parties rather than using IMS at all" -- and you wouldn't even need two servers if that was the solution.

Besides that... there are a lot of people who think of themselves as a "serious player" when their performance is not up to par, and there are a lot of people who would classify themselves as "casual" but are actually quite competent (despite having less time to play)... so the line isn't so easy to draw if it's self-declared.

But in any case, if you're going down this road, the other approach would be to allow a selection in IMS to say if you're looking for a "learning party" or a "clear party" (though even here, self-declaration is a problem, and it'd slow the queues; you may have to not give people the choice until after runs or something).

• I honestly think what I said about a server for casual and another for serious players would be the best solution right now.

could it go right or could it go wrong? if we try we never know.

or we can let things go and as most here should know more and more people are leaving the game.

hope that the players in the game will be respectful and just an illusion just look at how the game is today I think it is impossible to have any kind of respect.

People are not stopping for any defects in the game (this they tolerated) are stopping because of the quarrel between the Elitist, casual and novice community.

For me and better try to separate them because casual and novice could live together without much problem, more elitist unable to live together with casual or novice.

• SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone mentioned Ace Dungeons, either in this thread or another. I think if there were more options like Ace Lilith's Keep (enemy damage output is tuned for solo play but everything else is the same), you wouldn't have so many people clamoring about "read a guide lol".

Run the Ace version a few times, gain knowledge, apply that knowledge in a party, the run goes faster and/or smoother, everyone's happy.

Of course, that still leaves all the other issues with the game (such as the subsequent loot distro upon completing that dungeon) but, you know... baby steps.

@AlbedoBloodfallen
    I don't recommend ingesting so much of said salt. Severe hypernatremia isn't exactly a picnic.

• FainallFainall ✭✭✭

@counterpoint said:

@allofspaceandtime said:

@PP597W94LA said:
    plus i think it creates a server only for "serious player" (server where only those who spend money enter)
    would send that "serious players" waste their time with "new players" who do not spend money on the game

they could always create a training server, where everyone there starts at level 65, not able to buy cosmetics, the dungeons are always open and it is a tutorial to help people learn the dungeons. then you can go back to your normal servers with your regular characters and be able to run with the elites

Well, the other way to do this (as seen in certain other MMOs) could be to offer a solo version of the dungeons with NPCs. That way you could do that for your first attempt and it gives you the chance to learn and explore by doing. Wouldn't necessarily have to be a requirement, but I think there is a fairly sizable audience who prefers to learn mechanics without the pressure of having to be perfect the first time. This wouldn't be to replace the team version at all (for people who say "lol solo content in an MMO"), but just another option for learning.

Not that I think something like this is on the table, but yeah, as this thread has pointed out, this is a problem that exists in many MMOs, but increases in severity as the content in question gets older.

This would be a great solution. As I and others have pointed out, you can read all the guides you want and watch a video over and over but until you actually do it, it's just not the same. Plus people just learn things in different ways. For some reading a guide might be just the thing to give them all the knowledge they need, for others they might forget what they read or panic when they get in there and not remember what to do. What do you do then, say hey can you guys wait while I read my notes since no one wants to yell back or in? Of course not, no one is going to want you to do that either because you will be wasting their precious time. It's amazing to me how precious everyone's in game time seems to be despite scores of people afking in HW or Velika. On every Tera video, guide or review I have watched the comments are always full of people who say the same things, I loved the game but I left because it wasn't fun anymore, gearing rng is too harsh, and/or the community ruined it. So the things people are stating in this thread are universal reasons why people have a hard time after 65 and leaving the game. There are just things that you SHOULD learn in the game by the game giving you some sort of training or instruction that is simply lacking. As far I can remember there was nothing that taught rotations, and I have played the game through doing all the quests on 3 classes. Or even said you needed to use rotations in order to maximize damage. Isn't that kind of a really important thing for new players to know? Because believe it or not, not all games require rotations either. Some are just button mashing as fast as you can.

• @counterpoint @Fainall
    The only thing that will happen is that all tera players will play solo and avoid the raids because the elitist players expect you to be a god at the time of the raid and to be quick and do massive damage.
    where is this going to be a good thing?

and something else do you know that means mmo? "Massive Multiplayer Online" any new player will automatically search for a handheld player who will want to play in group with other players because MMO games are made for several with other players.

ser for play mmo solo and better looking for a singleplayer game.

• and even if they create solo raid they would have to modify the raids so that certain classes can do solo by removing some raid mechanics as they are created to be made in PT.
    an example: 1 raid made for, 12 player 2 tank, 2 healer and the rest of DPS how would you change this to be accepted for 1 solo player?

And even if the solo player learns the mechanics of DG, would it not be difficult to do good teamwork?

Thing is, playing an MMO doesn't mean you need to interact with others. It just so happens that's the preferred option of the playing the game, at least according to the developers.

Warframe, Path of Exile, Dauntless, even Monster Hunter World (sort of) all qualify as MMOs in the sense that the game can contain upwards of several hundred people at once. The difference between those games and "traditional" MMOs like TERA is that you're not forced to party with a bunch of knobs - on both sides - for the sake of "lol go and be social" (which is why I have mixed feelings about the reworked storyline and the leveling dungeons therein, odd as that is considering it's exactly what I wanted).

This seems pretty important these days considering that a few people in this very thread that view that sociability as little more than a means to an end ("Just join a guild./Just make friends."). I've been on both sides of that and it's not a good feeling, I tell ya.

• CornishRexCornishRex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jesus this thread turned into another joke overnight

@CornishRex said:
    Jesus this thread turned into another joke overnight

Really, it became a joke the moment someone said "lol u got kicked git gud scrub" way back on page 1.

And that somehow not only invalidated the rest of the review (which I personally think is spot-on), but started this huge debate on player skill and game knowledge.

• NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭

My conclusion is still the same as a few years back. Both the dev and the players can do more if they want the game to get new, staying members. MMOs were to be done in a group, but companies saw that they could get some money from single-player-gaming minded people, and thus there's solo content. The problem with me is that the solo part of the game is incomplete and requires party play to gear up to reach the rest. I assume this is intended in order to try and eventually convince solo players to start playing in parties as well. But the whole placing on where solo and party content is have pretty much blurred the lines and confused the sense of the game, making the whole experience a roller coaster of content you MUST do to progress but some is solo and some is party. Many MMOs are like this so this isn't a Tera only problem.

The particular problem with Tera is when people have to do the party sections of the game and they are both used to easy pre-65 content and the lack of in game instructions. Then they meet with people who already know the content and want to be done with it quickly. A dedicated new player can and will find ample success in this game right now. But not everyone joining the game at this age is willing to do more than what the game itself tells them to do. And because people are people, some veterans will get tired and become toxic towards the non dedicated, and will rue the day they were forced into an IMS with a "lazy" player.

In the end, if you want to eliminate 95% of the toxic behavior and salt in this game, shut down IMS. If you want to eliminate 100% of it, shut down the game.

• 39HATFDXLY39HATFDXLY ✭✭
    edited October 2019

Im lazy and I run both end-game PvE and PvP, I dont mind teaching new players mechanics and I never kick people from PvP (or PvE) if I can help it. I don't think its everyone, but there are indeed some people that "want to only run with the best", I tend to try to avoid those kinds of people though and play for fun

• If you're going into a party for a dungeon you've never done before you should it least skim a guide for important details. Some mechanics in the game can just straight up kill you or your teammates if you're doing whatever you want and then they gotta use items to revive or get locked out from playing. It's just how some dungeons in this game are. You cant blame the team for getting upset at these things. However LFG exists where you can tag things like anyone welcome or experienced players only. I know tagging requirements in a LFG can be a slower queue than IMS but you also have to understand when your teammates arent specified you will get a variety of random people who often will feel they dont owe you anything. So expect it and be ready for it. It's just a trade off and part of IMS you shouldnt get salty about. Wait for LFG or do IMS and take what you get. And guilds do exist specifically for casual or serious players so joining them for dungeons helps. Also just saving in game friends you feel you can play more with. Tldr: Everyones to blame if they expect anything of others in IMS as you gotta know most people suck and you are also to blame for inconveniencing people if you are the the one neglecting a quick solo run through or a guide skim for life or death mechanics. Whatever happens though try being polite to your party to keep the game alive. Also if people arent nice to you then again most people suck and the world isnt nice. Dont let it get to you and play the game if you enjoy it. If you arent it's time to move on to whatever does make you happy. People being "mean" shouldnt influence you so much.
This discussion has been closed.