Tera in 2019. A review from MMOByte.

Comments

• well I already let my solution separate the elitist community from the rest of the players with a separate server.

There is not even a problem in the progress of the game understand this.
    problem and the elitist community that isn't letting newbies learn how the game works.

Only by this topic is already in the face that the novice and Casual community they can't stand the elitist community.
    and the same with the elitist community they can't stand the casual and novice community.

separate this 2 by server instead of stay here in this useless conversation.

• CornishRexCornishRex ✭✭✭✭✭

@PP597W94LA said:
    well I already let my solution separate the elitist community from the rest of the players with a separate server.

There is not even a problem in the progress of the game understand this.
    problem and the elitist community that isn't letting newbies learn how the game works.

Only by this topic is already in the face that the novice and Casual community they can't stand the elitist community.
    and the same with the elitist community they can't stand the casual and novice community.

separate this 2 by server instead of stay here in this useless conversation.

There is no need to separate though. Elitists already play inside their own statics and guilds. Some people in the more skilled community (it's sort of a rarity though but I've seen it happen) do let newbies learn how the game works, if you're open to learning and getting good they'll help you. If you want to stay casual the actual elitists will not bother you because they do not use IMS. There are also plenty of casual guilds you can join that will gladly help a new player grow and learn.
    What you want to separate is the newbies from the as*holes in ims which is not an easy task.
    You seem to think anyone casual is automatically a good person and innocent, which is simply not true. I often offer advice in ims and try to help people that are learning and sometimes people brush me off or act offended. People that kick from ims are not elitsts in most cases, they're either people that can't carry a run and thus are not good themselves, egomaniacs or simply disheartened and annoyed people that already went through a few hours of wiping in which case you can't blame them for kicking. Also, a new player should not learn dungeons in ims as I said earlier, there are plenty other ways to learn and have a good time without getting kicked or "harassed" by "elitists".

Separating the players when the game is already half dead is an insanely bad solution not only because absolutely nothing would be solved by it but because new people should just learn to use things other than ims. Why do you act like ims is the only way to learn and do dungeons? I'd really like to know because everyone in the thread seems to imply that with their posts.

• MargaretRoseMargaretRose ✭✭✭✭✭

Elitism 101:
    1. Kicking players that do not know mechanics nor basic english.
    2. Kicking players with incorrect crystals.
    3. Kicking players without damage. (No dps meter required, able to notice if, for example, a sorcerer is casting fireball continuously.)
    4. Kicking players unable to tank.
    5. Kicking players unable to heal.
    6. Etc.
    Basically, just spend 1h+ in a single dungeon for a possible disband.

Been there, done that.
    Not everyone is obligated to carry.

• FainallFainall ✭✭✭
    edited October 10

@Aluh said:
    What a bunch of cry babies, no wonder people don't Q for dungeons anymore, have to hold hands with them now a days.

And you don't think using a guide on how to do a dungeon isn't hand holding? All that a guide does is give you a walk through...it's a spoiler, a cheat...it doesn't mean you need to think and figure anything out on your own. Not to mention all the supposed "awesome players" who use third party programs that have it pop up on the screen exactly what they are supposed to do next. You haven't figured anything out on your own. You haven't learned this stuff, someone else learned it for you and you did what they told you to do. Stand here, shoot this, dodge that...

• Wait what
    Reading guides equates to cheating now? Damn.
  • ChristinChristin ✭✭✭✭

@Viennoiserie said:
    Wait what

Skipped over most of the rantings, but just had to add a little something to your cute replies. Don't even try to understand any of it, because it's nothing more than a bunch of adults acting like a bunch of spoiled children. They are the very reason EME and BHS allow players to kick in the first place. People work hard to create guides that these people are simply too lazy to bother to read. All they come up with is excuses and more excuses. I wish when I started, I could have been as lazy as them and not looked anything up, because I thought I was too good to be bothered with learning anything on my own. However, I am an adult and tend to act like one.

I do find it funny at how they keep calling everyone "elites" while literally stomping up and down and stating that they are simply too good to be bothered to learn a dungeon, and those so called "elites" should be eager to hand-hold them through. I've never been in such support of so called "elites" as I am now. Actually, I feel so sorry for them, that they have to put up with such spoiled-acting players.

In fact, this thread is a perfect reason why EME staff don't even bother to come to the forums anymore. No one bothers to give them much if any praise when they do good, and all that many here do is trash and have righteous meltdowns over the silliest of things. Yeah, demand they ban people for kicking players that demand to be carried. LOL Good luck with that.

• SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay, someone please help me with something.

I shouldn't need to read a guide just to play the game, and Styx (Stix?) mentions this in the video (around the 5:03 mark)! Let people play the game and learn on their own terms. People don't want to be carried (well, no where near as many as this thread would want you to believe) - let them make mistakes. Let them learn from those mistakes. As I said before, a guide should, ideally, come into play only when a person can't solve a problem on their own (and even that is debatable - if there's someone more experienced in my party, why should I not ask them for a tip or trick here and there?).

Is that REALLY so hard to understand?! Someone, anyone, please help me make sense of this.

Query: For you perfectionists: why are you not running statics if you're so worried about sub-optimal runs? That should be common [filtered] sense for you guys! You're willingly putting yourselves in unfavorable situations and then getting upset that you're in an unfavorable situation.

The lack of nuance and self-awareness in this thread is [filtered] amazing. And all because dude said he got kicked from a leveling dungeon that he was trying to learn.

• FainallFainall ✭✭✭
    edited October 10

@Viennoiserie said:
    Wait what

It's not cheating, it's just what a walk through used to be called...a spoiler or a cheat because you aren't figuring something out for yourself. You are looking it up online because you can't figure it out.

But using third party programs is cheating. I did a dungeon with a guy and he and I both said we had never done it before when we went in. He was calling out what is next on discord though. I asked him how he knew what was coming up if he had never done it before, he said it told him on the screen. I said where...he said I have a program that tells me what to do.

@Christin will you please show me where ANYONE in this thread has asked for a carry? No one is asking for that, why do you guys keep saying that. What we are saying is we want to use our own brain power to go into a dungeon and say oh look a boss is doing this...now hmm...what can I do to count act that and keep from dying, and defeat it. Don't you get the concept of thinking for yourself and figuring things out?

Also I am curious about you guide lovers...what do you do when a new dungeon comes out? Do you actually go try to figure it out or do you keep running old dungeons until someone enterprising figures it out for you and makes a guide to spoon feed you, so you can blast through it and not waste that precious time actually thinking for yourself and figuring out what you might have to do?

@SageWindu in answer to your question, I can't make sense of it at all. Other than people are self centered and don't get the concept that a party is supposed to be a team effort and they don't care about anyone else? Or that they are running a script and despite all their godly appearance don't actually know how to answer the question because they don't really know.

• CornishRexCornishRex ✭✭✭✭✭

@SageWindu said:
    Okay, someone please help me with something.

I shouldn't need to read a guide just to play the game, and Styx (Stix?) mentions this in the video (around the 5:03 mark)! Let people play the game and learn on their own terms. People don't want to be carried (well, no where near as many as this thread would want you to believe) - let them make mistakes. Let them learn from those mistakes. As I said before, a guide should, ideally, come into play only when a person can't solve a problem on their own (and even that is debatable - if there's someone more experienced in my party, why should I not ask them for a tip or trick here and there?).

Is that REALLY so hard to understand?! Someone, anyone, please help me make sense of this.

Query: For you perfectionists: why are you not running statics if you're so worried about sub-optimal runs? That should be common [filtered] sense for you guys! You're willingly putting yourselves in unfavorable situations and then getting upset that you're in an unfavorable situation.

The lack of nuance and self-awareness in this thread is [filtered] amazing. And all because dude said he got kicked from a leveling dungeon that he was trying to learn.

Bruh. How many times have I repeated that it's fine to learn on your own terms but don't expect everyone to let you learn from your mistakes for hours on end in IMS. IMS is not the place to explore, like I said, guild and lfg learning runs are a place where you can do it. Is THAT so hard to understand? I always help players, even in ims, if they say they're new. I'm never going to be the one to initiate a kick, and if I agree to a kick it's going to be after a couple of wipes and me apologizing since I'm a wuss. But even so the nice thing to do would be to clear with like minded individuals that have the same goals. I might be happy to help but what about the other 3 people in the party? Just be considerate and look at things from another persons perspective. I feel like I'm shouting into a void in this thread because everyone is still insisting IMS is the only way to do things and it's the end all be all in this game, when it's clearly not. So please, can we stop acting like it is. This thread is ridiculous because everyone is bickering about a dumb problem that has so many easy solutions I'm really failing to understand why this is happening.

• FainallFainall ✭✭✭

In the past 36 hours, this thread has really changed my opinion of players in this game. I have come to the realization that without guides and third party programs, there would be a whole lot less "pro" players. I am not sure some could even figure out dungeon mechs without guides. If all those suddenly vanished you would have to rely on others more.

@CornishRex I don't think anyone is saying they have to use IMS, it's just that in the video that is what he touched on so it became a topic for this particular conversation. I don't use it all the time, but sometimes I do. And when you do, you get what you get. Now for me, if I go into a dungeon I don't know very well or haven't done at all from IMS I always tell the party right up front and say if you don't want to deal with that feel free to kick me before we get started. Because I DO think about other people in the game and I DO realize it's a concerted effort in a party and not just all about me. I also do silly stuff like bring pots in case we don't have a stellar healer and things like that.

• edited October 10

This thread is becoming cyclic and may be locked sooner or later.

This isn't an issue we're going to resolve in this thread anyway. Suffice it to say, EME is not going to split the servers into "elitists" and "casuals," and even if they did it wouldn't solve the problem with IMS. And the issue with IMS is essentially a sort of cultural issue. Some people feel that veteran players should be accommodating to new players' learning process in order to encourage more people to enter the game (and, if you IMS, you get what you get; want guaranteed performance, make a static). Some people feel that new players should be accommodating to veteran players so as to value their time (so, if you IMS, expect to play well; want a learning party, make a static). And in the case of TERA, as an older game, the balance shifted so there are more veterans than new players, which is resulting in this spiral that (combined with the game's own systems) is making the game progressively less welcoming to new players (by placing more burden on the new players to catch up in knowledge and skill with veterans with insufficient in-game tools to get there).

Like I said, we won't resolve it here because both points of view have some validity and you can't force an attitude change across the board. Only the game developers can really change the underlying systems to try to address this disparity, but it's not a simple thing for them to fix either (plus, since it's a cultural thing, it may be that other markets aren't having the same degree of issue).

I will say that part of the problem is that this issue is polarizing, so it's hard to meet in the middle -- but I guess story of our times...

edited October 10
    @CornishRex
    To that I ask why do I NEED to join a guild just to "explore"? Why do I NEED to go through all these extra steps when all I want to do is play the game, enjoy the challenge, and enjoy the challenge of OVERCOMING that challenge? Why do I NEED to look up guides, videos, blogs, stream clips, and so on? And even then, no one has any guarantee that the run will be any better for it. It's better to just assume the worst, so then if it happens, you can just roll with it and continue on (mostly) unhindered (hell, the most fun I've had was a TS run where EVERYTHING went to crap. We didn't wipe, but man was it hilarious).

Really, from all this back and forth between the various people in this thread, it seems to be an issue with the design ethos of MMOs at large being at odds with how the average player wants to conduct their sessions (I think someone brought that up earlier?). We've all been in situations where we can't do our favorite dungeons because our usual running mates weren't online and the risks of finding a replacement outweighed the rewards. An easy way to fix this would be to retune the dungeons to have scaling difficulties; that way, a person who's not very sociable can still enjoy the game on their own and not be hounded by the community about "gitting gud". 2-man Rift's Edge Hard - let's go. :smiley:

Aside: Man, these forums are dildoes.
  • best thing to do and make a server for "casual" and another for "elitist"

any changes you make to the server will make one side angry right?

Making the game easier will make elitists angry because the game has no challenge.

Making the game harder will make casuals angry because the difficulty is insane.

just make the server "casual" easy for players to enjoy the game content "

and makes the "elitist" server difficult for players to have a challenge worth their time.

• AluhAluh ✭✭

If eme made a casual server, no one would play on it, you so called "casuals" would eventually get bored of the game and quit making eme lose profit, i understand new players are what keeps the game going, but if you separate new players from veterans most of the casuals will quit, casuals come and go, but veterans keep the game running, while you can lleisurely enjoy ur casual gameplay.

@counterpoint
    Remember, this all started from Styx saying he was kicked from a LEVELING dungeon for being NEW.

Again, KICKED from a LEVELING DUNGEON for being NEW.
This discussion has been closed.