Constantly freezing and crashing, trying to fix for months
So I have been playing Tera for approx 6 months, and ever since day 1 I would constantly get game freezes and crashes when in towns (ie Highwatch or Velika) about 90% of the time. The other 10% would be in caimen raids for example.
I have done my research and believe me when I say this, I have exhausted it ALL!...
Details of the "freezes and crashes" are simply this.
The game would freeze, background sounds and music still running but getting broken up, and the inevitable crash would follow if I left it untouched for a min or so. If I would ctrl-alt-del in an effort to bring up task manager and cancel out again, most of the time it would unfreeze and I could continue on until the next freeze/crash (more than once every game if I stayed in the same area). Sometimes I am not so lucky and the game will crash to desktop without and error message, but sometimes with the "out of memory error" that we have all heard about.
Details of my rig
i78700k co 4.8 aio liquid cooling
64gb ddr4 3000mhz ram under xmp1 profile
500gb m2 nvme ssd (os/c:)
2x 250gb sata ssds (t-force), one of which holds my steam and all it's games such as Tera
MSI radeon Vega 64 reference (oc)
Other details that probably don't pertain but who knows
240hz freesync gaming monitor
Soundblaster AE5 dedicated soundcard
Focusrite external audio interface that powers my AT2020 xlr mic
Peripherals such as a razor gamepad (yes I tried to disconnect due to the researched memory leak) no change; and my arcade stick for SFV (tried the same troubleshooting, same result).
Now, I have tried everything I can think of including but not limited to...
-disabling all oc
-installing on main nvme ssd (with and without steam)
-disconnecting gaming accessories
-modifying the ini file
-setting up a graphics profile for Tera via my radeon software (to try and limit cpu load)
-installing process lasso and disabling hyperthreading for Tera specifically
-swapping out memory sticks
-dropping in game settings (relieves some memory, but the issue would eventually surface)
-forcing dx9 and use of all cores via steam launch options
-adding exceptions through anti virus (windows defender), and also disabling the anti virus and firewall entirely
-and I am sure I am forgetting a lot of other troubleshooting attempts that I have made.
Of all the research I have made, I have become very aware that "memory leaks" have affected lots of users, but situation seems to be a bit more rare.
I found one other guy who was experiencing the same thing but with a gtx1080 instead, leading me to give up the idea that it might be AMD related.
I don't even care about the low fps in areas as I know that is our sufferage due to the game being a 32bit application for god knows whatever reason.
I just wish I didn't have to sit there and squint in anticipation of the game freezing and crashing every time I try to play.
*of note, I could be out doing quests etc and be okay for hours, but when I hit town (which we all do in mmos) is for the majority of the time...when sh;t hits the fan...:/
I can go to channel 2 in highwatch for example and be decently okay for most of the time (will still freeze/crash once in a while though), but at that point I am an outcast and basically playing a single player game.
I can do dungeons with a party and usually be okay, actually it almost never crashes in dungeons (very minimal although it has happened), I can do even a good amount of raids (where the fps tanks hard) and still hold without freezing (but again it can happen and has, even today).
I just gotta say that again, most of the time, it is in either highwatch or velika (so far), I can literally reproduce the issue whenever I want by simply stepping foot inside of those zones, or pushing a raid hard.
Any ideas out there? I am stumped! I love the game, but this stuff is really getting to me because I feel like I have to push it aside because I can't play it