[TERA Console] We will enter maintenance on 05/26 (Tue) at 7:00 p.m. PT, and have an expected downtime of 3 hours. For details, please visit the following thread: http://bit.ly/teraconsolemaintenance
[TERA PC] We confirmed that an issue with Civil Unrest persists, so Civil Unrest will remain disabled until further notice. Thank you for understanding.

Constantly freezing and crashing, trying to fix for months

Comments

• LapomkoLapomko ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

@5WG9CLR9R4 said:

@Lapomko said:
    I have 8700k as well but my is clocked to 5.0ghz and I don't have this issue. Did you try using a different motherboard or graphic card? You can rule out then your motherboard/graphic is not faulty. Try disconnecting all the extra hardware you don't need temporary like the dedicated soundcard etc.

It's not my mobo or any other hardware as every other game works great. The two conditions that separate Tera is the 32bit client and dx9, so it has to be something to do with that and communication with one or several of my hardware devices I suspect.

Logically, ram memory, or the video card is what I figure.

Did you do what I said by disconnecting all the extra hardware you don't need? If it runs fine on other games doesn't mean there's something wrong on your end that cause the game to crash. BHS won't fix the game specifically for you so you can blame the game all you want but you won't able to play the game. Reinstall the OS, check every hardware/software and move on if you are not willing to.

• @Lapomko said:

@5WG9CLR9R4 said:

@Lapomko said:
    I have 8700k as well but my is clocked to 5.0ghz and I don't have this issue. Did you try using a different motherboard or graphic card? You can rule out then your motherboard/graphic is not faulty. Try disconnecting all the extra hardware you don't need temporary like the dedicated soundcard etc.

It's not my mobo or any other hardware as every other game works great. The two conditions that separate Tera is the 32bit client and dx9, so it has to be something to do with that and communication with one or several of my hardware devices I suspect.

Logically, ram memory, or the video card is what I figure.

Did you do what I said by disconnecting all the extra hardware you don't need? If it runs fine on other games doesn't mean there's something wrong on your end that cause the game to crash. BHS won't fix the game specifically for you so you can blame the game all you want but you won't able to play the game. Reinstall the OS, check every hardware/software and move on if you are not willing to.

Honestly, as harsh as this is, it's kind of the only answer. This is some sort of computer-specific issue either related to hardware or software, and even if "every other game works" this is a very computer-specific issue. So the only way to troubleshoot it is to start eliminating causes including disconnecting all the things, reinstalling the OS, etc. If I had this problem, that's what I'd do. In the end, the developers can't run the software with a debugger on your personal machine to do a stacktrace of the crash, so...

• @counterpoint said:

Honestly, as harsh as this is, it's kind of the only answer. This is some sort of computer-specific issue either related to hardware or software, and even if "every other game works" this is a very computer-specific issue. So the only way to troubleshoot it is to start eliminating causes including disconnecting all the things, reinstalling the OS, etc. If I had this problem, that's what I'd do. In the end, the developers can't run the software with a debugger on your personal machine to do a stacktrace of the crash, so...

May be true, but the description of the problem sounds like a worse than usual reaction to the terrible memory issues Tera has due to be 32-bit. Just in this unlucky soul's case instead of Tera graphics reverting to potato mode, the game falls over dead. I'd bet good money if they updated the game to 64-bit so it had breathing room in memory again this mysterious issue would also go away. I'm not sure how large of a fortune I'd need to come across to bribe Bluehole into updating things that way though.

• @Erulogos said:

@counterpoint said:

May be true, but the description of the problem sounds like a worse than usual reaction to the terrible memory issues Tera has due to be 32-bit. Just in this unlucky soul's case instead of Tera graphics reverting to potato mode, the game falls over dead. I'd bet good money if they updated the game to 64-bit so it had breathing room in memory again this mysterious issue would also go away. I'm not sure how large of a fortune I'd need to come across to bribe Bluehole into updating things that way though.

This here^

This is why I refuse to reinstall the os.
    That's a typical "fix" for anything not directly related to a single game built on ancient formats.

This is quite obviously Tera not cooperating with my system. It's just that instead of typical issues, for some reason it decides to roll over dead. Whether it be related to my mobo, graphics, ram, montior, etc is not the point, it's Tera and it's "TERA-ble" coding.

I will just wait for some sort of 64bit client update, even if it means never playing the game again, due to the developers most likely remaining stubborn.

It's sad.

• edited October 2019

In the end, honestly, there's no guarantee that a switch to a 64-bit version of the Engine would fix this particular issue either, because we just don't know the true root cause. It's some machine-related quirk with the way it interacts with the game that most people don't have. Even in this day and age, a lot of games are still 32-bit (including probably some of the other ones that were tested and don't have this issue).

I'm absolutely not trying to "defend" the game's lousy programming, but these kinds of computer-specific issues are almost impossible to troubleshoot until the actual root cause is found, and it's not just "the game" or else it'd be happening to everyone. It's some unique combination... but who knows what.

• just started crashing for me when I switch characters a few days ago

• 5WG9CLR9R45WG9CLR9R4 ✭✭
    edited October 2019

@counterpoint said:
    In the end, honestly, there's no guarantee that a switch to a 64-bit version of the Engine would fix this particular issue either, because we just don't know the true root cause. It's some machine-related quirk with the way it interacts with the game that most people don't have. Even in this day and age, a lot of games are still 32-bit (including probably some of the other ones that were tested and don't have this issue).

I'm absolutely not trying to "defend" the game's lousy programming, but these kinds of computer-specific issues are almost impossible to troubleshoot until the actual root cause is found, and it's not just "the game" or else it'd be happening to everyone. It's some unique combination... but who knows what.

@counterpoint said:

No, I can almost guarantee that a 64bit client wold fix this game for me, and absolutely get it run better for everyone, except maybe the folks using older hardware.
    I mean sure, it might possibly have some sort of disagreement with something hardware related in my system, but again that would only exist because the game is not updated for current gen, so the point remains that it is in fact the game (in my case).

Again, it's the only game that has issues with my system, and it separates itself from the rest because of it being a dx9-32bit game.
    Archeage Unchained for example, has an updated client (64bit), and runs smooth as butter. Unfortunately though, I just don't really enjoy it as much.

• @Maldicion159 said:
    just started crashing for me when I switch characters a few days ago

Chances are that is something else if you have been fine up until this point.
    I was never able to play the game confidently as it would give me these errors from day 1.

• In addition, I could have sworn that some time ago I heard Korea got a 64bit client but it never made it to NA. Anyone?

• edited October 2019

@5WG9CLR9R4 said:
    In addition, I could have sworn that some time ago I heard Korea got a 64bit client but it never made it to NA. Anyone?

No, that isn't the case, unfortunately.

@5WG9CLR9R4 said:
    No, I can almost guarantee that a 64bit client wold fix this game for me, and absolutely get it run better for everyone, except maybe the folks using older hardware.
    I mean sure, it might possibly have some sort of disagreement with something hardware related in my system, but again that would only exist because the game is not updated for current gen, so the point remains that it is in fact the game (in my case).

32-bit DirectX 9 games are forwards-compatible and, as I said, still consist of the majority of games today, so I'm still not convinced this is the root cause, but anyway, given that you won't try any of the other steps mentioned, I think it's unfortunately done.

edited October 2019

@counterpoint said:

@5WG9CLR9R4 said:
    In addition, I could have sworn that some time ago I heard Korea got a 64bit client but it never made it to NA. Anyone?

No, that isn't the case, unfortunately.

Darn.

...and the only other step I haven't tried is reinstalling windows because that is quite obviously a far stretch and an obvious last ditch resort. I would expect that kind of reply from maybe some dude at a service line in india, along with "have you tried to disconnect the power and reconnect back in"... lol.
    Also, dx9 32bit games are nowhere near standard on current gen games...
    They are all 64bit/dx10-12, as far as AAA games go anyway.

edited October 2019

With everything said in this thread, I have come to conclusion that I can't blame just the fact that the game is dx9/32bit. It's not the only game I have played that was under the same structure. But this game has very very bad optimization on top of that fact.
    I can't help but keep trying to change this and that, reset this and that, and hope that it works. Very frustrating.

Thanks all for your help though

• edited October 2019

@5WG9CLR9R4 said:
    ...and the only other step I haven't tried is reinstalling windows because that is quite obviously a far stretch and an obvious last ditch resort. I would expect that kind of reply from maybe some dude at a service line in india, along with "have you tried to disconnect the power and reconnect back in"... lol.

This was after I suggested doing a clean boot and disconnecting all unnecessary devices, though, which if done properly should mostly result in mostly the same thing. And, at the end of the day, when you want to eliminate all causes, you have to be willing to try all the components systematically, and the OS (and all its installed software/drivers) is one of the components. I'd give it probably a 50% chance that if you tried it, it would probably work fine on a clean install. If it doesn't, then you know it's hardware-specific and you can focus your efforts on trying different drivers (or, worst case, taking out parts). In the end, this sort of systematic way of eliminating causes is the best way I know to deal with this sort of issue given everything else you tried. It was in no way a flippant callcenter answer.

Of course, you may decide it isn't worth this effort this game and that's totally understandable too... but yeah, that's why I was suggesting it.

edited October 2019

@counterpoint said:

@5WG9CLR9R4 said:

This was after I suggested doing a clean boot and disconnecting all unnecessary devices, though, which if done properly should mostly result in mostly the same thing. And, at the end of the day, when you want to eliminate all causes, you have to be willing to try all the components systematically, and the OS (and all its installed software/drivers) is one of the components. I'd give it probably a 50% chance that if you tried it, it would probably work fine on a clean install. If it doesn't, then you know it's hardware-specific and you can focus your efforts on trying different drivers (or, worst case, taking out parts). In the end, this sort of systematic way of eliminating causes is the best way I know to deal with this sort of issue given everything else you tried. It was in no way a flippant callcenter answer.

Of course, you may decide it isn't worth this effort this game and that's totally understandable too... but yeah, that's why I was suggesting it.

Yeah, I think that is where I am at this point.
    Basically decided that it isn't worth the effort of reinstalling os and drivers etc, my opinion as to why, is that I heavily assume that the chances of a software conflict are more minimal than the game simply not communicating with one or some of my hardware devices properly.

The fact is that this is the ONLY game I have these issues with, so the reality of it being a bigger picture (conflict with software and drivers as opposed to just be a game built with garbage optimizations), is very minimal at best.

I would say the most likely case for me here, is that the game doesn't like my AMD graphics card. I haven't seen anyone else using my specific card (Vega 64) during my searches for related issues with Tera. I have seen users with RX series AMD cards, but not Vega ones, and Vega cards use HBM2 memory. I wonder is it the memory on my card that Tera doesn't like (because it isn't optimized for current gen setups ie ensure compatibility with various hardware). Tera is very Nvidia biased according to the ini files.

I have literally spent more time trying to get the game to cooperate rather than being able to focus on the actual game.

This was a hard lesson learned for me as I spent a good amount of $ during my Tera gameplay via emp etc, so I am very foolish for that.

I will keep a close eye on this game still, while hoping that a client update is in our future. If not, well...it wasn't meant to be for me.

edited October 2019

So, as I continue to fixate on this really bizzare issue of mine, I can't help but start to rule out the graphics card.
    I just played today, several dungeon runs etc with no issue.
    It's simply in the cities, Highwatch and Velika "so far", with sometimes the odd raid and such.

I wonder if this something network related?
    Yes my ports are forwarded.

The thing is, I never see my actual signal disconnect via windows tab, and I don't see any network related error when I freeze and crash.

I don't have the ability to try ethernet as my modem is up two flights of stairs.

My question to you guys is if you have ever had a disconnect, did it emulate the issue I am having? Or was it much different?

Cities and raids have two things in common (people popping in and out).

I wonder if it's possible that Tera doesn't like my Killer 1550 wifi card?

I also thought that maybe this issue might be related to my 240hz monitor and freesync. Only because this is another circumstance that I don't think is very common out in the majority Tera player base.

But why that wouldn't pose an issue with all kinds of battle effects and numbers blasting everywhere (ie dungeons)...is beyond me.

Does anyone have recommendations on some sort of overlay I can use in game to monitor ping and cpu/gpu use etc?

and then there is this

A post I found in another forum relating to video ram. I guess it still could be possible that it isn't cooperating with my video card.

******"Tera uses maximum 4 GB of system RAM (although I usually don't see it going above 2-2,5GB under Windows 10) and 1 GB of video RAM.
    Probably this is happening because of the video RAM limitation set by the developers. When Tera released most video cards didn't had more than that amount of RAM and since then BHS wasn't changed the upper limit. I think the problem occurs more nowadays because we have a lot more costumes than we had in the past and in crowded areas it tries to load all of them and sooner or later it will run out of available video memory (the 1GB regardless of how many you actually have).
    You can even see it amongst the system messages on chat window, sometimes it says that texture resolution reduced due to insufficient memory or something like that. But it will crash eventually anyway."******

As cities and raids involve a lot of on the fly loading of costumes, skins, dance animations and what have you, this could be the case.
    The thread I pulled that post from, had several people in it that were stuck in the same boat as me (whether AMD or Nvidia). Not sure if they found a fix, got lucky, whatever, but there may literally be nothing I can do I suppose.
    Some of them just learned to live with it and avoid busy cities while playing on preset 0. I ain't about that life though...lol.

So essentially again, the reality is that the game isn't optimized enough for various setups. Some or most people get away with it, others are forced to play with minimal settings and avoid cities while gaming on there waaaaaay more that capable pc.

This discussion has been closed.