Locating TERA install if upgrading to EME Launcher (Updated)

This came up in Discord so I wanted to make a post here just in case.

If you are still using the old TERA Launcher and need to upgrade to the EME Launcher, after you're finished installing the new launcher it will ask to locate your current TERA install folder. The folder you need to choose for this to work is the subfolder called "Client" inside your current "TERA" folder. Don't pick just the "TERA" folder (where the old launcher is) because it won't work; expand the TERA folder and pick the one called "Client". Then it should detect it and allow you to run without reinstalling (although it might ask for an update).

Hope this helps someone avoid an unnecessary reinstall.

(Edited for clarity.)

Edit 2:
It seems that if you follow the forced-upgrade process inside the old TERA Launcher, it says that it will uninstall the old TERA Launcher, and it's as part of this process that it can delete your old TERA install. So the way around this is, instead of doing the in-place upgrade when prompted, instead just download the EME Launcher directly from the web:

https://eme01.enmasse-game.com/installers/eme/EnMasse-Minimal-Installer.exe

After installing the launcher separately (without going through the upgrade process), then you'll be able to simply link your existing TERA install and keep playing from there. The instructions above about finding the Client folder will apply.

Comments

• This is happening to me, but I have a folder that says En Masse Entertainment, the sub folders say Launcher and Tera. I have no other Tera folders so I can't find a drop down box that says Client.

Was everyone suddenly forced to switch over to the Enmasse launcher today?

• edited October 2019

@Concepcion30 said:
    This is happening to me, but I have a folder that says En Masse Entertainment, the sub folders say Launcher and Tera. I have no other Tera folders so I can't find a drop down box that says Client. \

Try expanding the TERA folder and see inside there if you have a Client folder. You should, unless your TERA is actually installed elsewhere. (If it's installed elsewhere, you may be able to figure it out by "Open File Location" on the shortcut.)

Was everyone suddenly forced to switch over to the Enmasse launcher today?

I don't know, but from what people are saying on Discord it sounds like maybe.

• ChristinChristin ✭✭✭✭

Yes, we are all forced to use the new launcher now. Everything worked for me, because all I relocated to my desktop was a shortcut to the exe file.

If you try to use the old exe file, the play button just directs to installing the new launcher.

• I don't know where my Tera is installed, there is no client folder drop down box. Unless it got overwritten by mistake I don't know. The only thing I could find in a search was an EmE diagnostic folder. Does that mean I have to reinstall? =/

• ChristinChristin ✭✭✭✭

@Concepcion30 said:
    I don't know where my Tera is installed, there is no client folder drop down box. Unless it got overwritten by mistake I don't know. The only thing I could find in a search was an EmE diagnostic folder. Does that mean I have to reinstall? =/

How did you originally install the game? Was it through the website or was it through Steam?

• @Christin said:

@Concepcion30 said:
    I don't know where my Tera is installed, there is no client folder drop down box. Unless it got overwritten by mistake I don't know. The only thing I could find in a search was an EmE diagnostic folder. Does that mean I have to reinstall? =/

How did you originally install the game? Was it through the website or was it through Steam?

I don't have steam, so the website.

• go to your En Masse Entertainment folder the sub folders say Launcher and Tera. Open your Tera folder and "Client" folder should be in there.

• edited October 2019

If I remember correctly, the default install location is in the C:\users\public\ folder. Either under "Games" in there or under "En Masse Entertainment" in there. I have installed in a custom place on my machines so don't remember for sure, but I think that's the case.

Once you find the En Masse Entertainment folder, TERA should be in there, and inside there should be the Client subfolder that you need to choose.

• LancerJivaLancerJiva ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Mine is stuck updating at 20.64%. Haven’t used the new launcher let alone kept it updated . I’ve had it installed just refused to use it as it makes my pc lag.

Edit: nvm seems it finished updating
  • I don't know if I should wait for support to get back to me or just reinstall the game. The heading goes, Games, En Masse Entertainment, Launcher, Tera. When you click on Tera the expand button is greyed out, there is no client under there. Sorry I can't post the screen shot to show you.

• NilkemiosNilkemios ✭✭
    edited October 2019

I had the new launcher install in the Client subfolder and it doesn't work, the launcher won't even boot up, it'll just show the icon at the bottom of my desktop, and then it goes away and nothing happens. Seriously, what was wrong with the old launcher that we had to be forced to a new launcher that's apparently worse than the old one?

Edit : Apparently restarting the computer got it to work, somehow. I am still annoyed by this forced change for a launcher that I don't really need, as I don't play anything else from En Masse besides Tera now.

• edited October 2019

@Nilkemios said:
    I had the new launcher install in the Client subfolder and it doesn't work, the launcher won't even boot up, it'll just show the icon at the bottom of my desktop, and then it goes away and nothing happens. Seriously, what was wrong with the old launcher that we had to be forced to a new launcher that's apparently worse than the old one?

Sorry, don't install the new launcher inside the client folder, but when it asks you to locate your existing TERA install, that's when you select the Client folder. This is after you install the launcher in some other folder.

@Concepcion30 said:
    I don't know if I should wait for support to get back to me or just reinstall the game. The heading goes, Games, En Masse Entertainment, Launcher, Tera. When you click on Tera the expand button is greyed out, there is no client under there. Sorry I can't post the screen shot to show you.

This suggests that most likely TERA is installed somewhere else on your PC, but I'm not sure where. You could try doing a file system search for TL.exe to try to find it.

• @counterpoint said:

@Nilkemios said:

Sorry, don't install the new launcher inside the client folder, but when it asks you to locate your existing TERA install, that's when you select the Client folder. This is after you install the launcher in some other folder.

@Concepcion30 said:
    I don't know if I should wait for support to get back to me or just reinstall the game. The heading goes, Games, En Masse Entertainment, Launcher, Tera. When you click on Tera the expand button is greyed out, there is no client under there. Sorry I can't post the screen shot to show you.

This suggests that most likely TERA is installed somewhere else on your PC, but I'm not sure where. You could try doing a file system search for TL.exe to try to find it.

I had to reinstall, a search for TL.exe found nothing. I don't know what happened, I'd been playing the game fine yesterday morning. Then come afternoon when they forced the new launcher on everyone, game vanished. Oh well, guess I only missed out on completing the second half of my dailies. And now I have to turn off sound and all the other crap that is suddenly turned on again.

• I posted a new update in the opening post based on a further understanding now of why this is happening. The new forced-upgrade process also uninstalls the old launcher, and it's that which can delete your old TERA install. So the way to avoid this is to just download the EME Launcher directly from the EME website first and don't even do the upgrade/uninstall at all. Then you can point to the folder as I mentioned.

I realize that by now a lot of people have already done it and it's too late... but I hope this helps someone.

• But now I have another problem. I had hit the auto log in button, and now it doesn't give me the option to switch to my other account. I'm so tired of it all!