[PC] We are aware of issues surrounding the event EP booster, and are working to resolve this. Currently, we are working towards having this fixed on Tuesday, 02/25 in a hotfix maintenance. We will have further details as we approach this fix. Thank you for your patience and understanding!

Can't update to the new launcher

Hi. I am having an issue with updating to the new launcher. It allows me to initiate the update and creates a shortcut on my desktop but my issue is when I try to launch the game, it opens then closes on its own. I can see the icon on the taskbar but for a few seconds then it closes and never launches the game. I've tried uninstalling everything and reinstalling but it doesn't work. I'm not sure what I should do at this point. Has anyone had this issue? How can I solve it? Thank you.

Comments

• edited October 2019

Could you clarify: is this after you're in the launcher and when you click Play to start TERA, or is it when starting the Launcher itself?

If it's when starting the launcher, the main reason I know for this one is if you're using a VPN, which can interfere with the launcher's auto proxy detection settings. If you are using a VPN, you can try disconnecting from the VPN to see if it helps, or you can go into your Internet Options (search from the Start Menu) then -> Connections -> LAN settings -> uncheck "Automatically detect settings" -> press OK on both windows. If you're not using a VPN at all, it could be that some other program on the machine is interfering (a common culprit is firewall, security, or antimalware software) or there's some error starting the launcher. In that case I would try running the launcher in diagnostic mode as described here:

https://support.enmasse.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016324714

Once you start the launcher with this option, it won't solve it, but it will create a log file (as described in the link). You can send that log file to EME Support in a ticket and it will help them narrow down the issue.

If you're in the launcher and it's just that the game won't start when you press Play, the most common reason I know for that is some unknown or corrupt file that's blocking it. You can try running a repair from the Launcher options, but if not you may need to check that any previously-made changes are undone and readonly files are made writable again. Otherwise, this could also be caused by interference by some other program as well... but I think it's less likely assuming you were just playing TERA previously on the old launcher.

If all else fails, definitely send in a ticket to support as they have more advice for dealing with these sorts of issues.

• This is when I'm trying to start the launcher itself, I never even get to see what the launcher looks like because it closes before it fully opens, only the icon is visible. I don't use any VPNs, I'm in the US. What's weird is that the game worked when I had the old launcher just a couple of weeks ago but I was forced to update just recently. I've had this issue before when I tried to update to the newer one. Anyway, I've tried removing any extra security, antimalware, and firewall software that could be the culprit but it still doesn't seem to work. I haven't made any changes with the readonly and writable files at all, so what I'll do is try some minor possible solutions and if that doesn't work, I'll run the launcher in diagnostic mode like you said and send in a ticket. Thank you.

• @counterpoint said:
    Could you clarify: is this after you're in the launcher and when you click Play to start TERA, or is it when starting the Launcher itself?

If it's when starting the launcher, the main reason I know for this one is if you're using a VPN, which can interfere with the launcher's auto proxy detection settings. If you are using a VPN, you can try disconnecting from the VPN to see if it helps, or you can go into your Internet Options (search from the Start Menu) then -> Connections -> LAN settings -> uncheck "Automatically detect settings" -> press OK on both windows. If you're not using a VPN at all, it could be that some other program on the machine is interfering (a common culprit is firewall, security, or antimalware software) or there's some error starting the launcher. In that case I would try running the launcher in diagnostic mode as described here:

https://support.enmasse.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016324714

Once you start the launcher with this option, it won't solve it, but it will create a log file (as described in the link). You can send that log file to EME Support in a ticket and it will help them narrow down the issue.

If you're in the launcher and it's just that the game won't start when you press Play, the most common reason I know for that is some unknown or corrupt file that's blocking it. You can try running a repair from the Launcher options, but if not you may need to check that any previously-made changes are undone and readonly files are made writable again. Otherwise, this could also be caused by interference by some other program as well... but I think it's less likely assuming you were just playing TERA previously on the old launcher.

If all else fails, definitely send in a ticket to support as they have more advice for dealing with these sorts of issues.

I just ended up installing it through Steam. Nothing else worked for me.

• @Fogs said:
    Hi. I am having an issue with updating to the new launcher. It allows me to initiate the update and creates a shortcut on my desktop but my issue is when I try to launch the game, it opens then closes on its own. I can see the icon on the taskbar but for a few seconds then it closes and never launches the game. I've tried uninstalling everything and reinstalling but it doesn't work. I'm not sure what I should do at this point. Has anyone had this issue? How can I solve it? Thank you.

Hi, I had a similar issue...but it was only today that the old launcher did not ask for my password before showing the PLAY button. When I clicked PLAY...then i was told the launcher was already running {and to close the box} and use it.

Well i went to the Tera location on the drive, found launcher.exe file dated today ran it {for me double click}
    That started the new launcher and the new interface began to update...and the game worked fine...although my server seems to be down right now!....

I glad you got it to work with steam...cheers!