Anyone else having a hard time with loot boxes from the Black Friday sale?

2»

Comments

• MargaretRoseMargaretRose ✭✭✭✭✭

@counterpoint said:

Ultimately, if people really want to send a message, they have to stop buying lootbox items at all even with gold. But yeah, I guess odds of that happening are pretty slim, so...

Indeed.

• @counterpoint said: I actually think EME's rates are higher than that (probably somewhere in the range of 2 or 3%). But when you don't disclose the odds, what's the conclusion people can be expected to come to...?

Having just played and completed TERA (Asia) on X1, it says most boxes are 2% and some are 1%. That version didn't have En Masse involvement I don't believe, but even so those rates seem accurate from my experiences on PC. The rates directly from the devs can't be too far off from what we have here, since they probably just dictate to En Masse what to make the rates.

Over the Black Friday sale I had what I consider an average TERA lootbox experience. The only lootbox item I went for was the Ultracorn/Megasus mounts. I bought around 140 boxes and got 5 mounts (1 Megasus and 4 Ultracorn) for my characters.

• TJKatTJKat ✭✭✭

It's not just EME - or even video games for that matter - but a lot of businesses in a lot of different industries seem to be going with the "get as much money from our CURRENT consumer base as possible" model. On the surface, this may seem like the way to go, but it's very short-term focused. Long term it does nothing to grow the consumer base, rather it just keeps making it smaller. It becomes a vicious cycle of using a shrinking consumer base to justify unsavoury business practices that drive more consumers away and further shrink the consumer base. TBH, I think we're to the point where "voting with your wallet" doesn't work anymore, it only further justifies gouging us even more.

• edited December 2019

@DXM said:

@counterpoint said: I actually think EME's rates are higher than that (probably somewhere in the range of 2 or 3%). But when you don't disclose the odds, what's the conclusion people can be expected to come to...?

Having just played and completed TERA (Asia) on X1, it says most boxes are 2% and some are 1%. That version didn't have En Masse involvement I don't believe, but even so those rates seem accurate from my experiences on PC. The rates directly from the devs can't be too far off from what we have here, since they probably just dictate to En Masse what to make the rates.

Over the Black Friday sale I had what I consider an average TERA lootbox experience. The only lootbox item I went for was the Ultracorn/Megasus mounts. I bought around 140 boxes and got 5 mounts (1 Megasus and 4 Ultracorn) for my characters.

FWIW, the rates aren't common between the regions (each region makes their own boxes with different contents).

Your "average experience" is pretty similar to my own experience, but that suggests a rare rate of 3.5%. So that's why I tend to think it's probably closer to 2-3% than 1-2% here.

But anyway, regardless of what it is, the fact that it does get posted in the regions where the law requires in and it hasn't killed the game there shows that there's no reason for publishers to fear it.

• SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭✭

@counterpoint said:

@DeusFurta said:
    My advise is, especially for loot box related items, buy it with gold instead of EMP. Let someone else suffer trying to open boxes. As long as the drops are tradeable, En Masse will get their money and you will get your item.

While I understand what you're saying, offloading the risk to someone else isn't really going to solve anything or save anything over the long term. I guess maybe it reduces your personal stress/frustration at a bout of bad RNG, but the price you pay will be more than the average you'd spend on opening lootboxes yourself over time, and the extra profit just goes to the sellers (providing further incentive).

Ultimately, if people really want to send a message, they have to stop buying lootbox items at all even with gold. But yeah, I guess odds of that happening are pretty slim, so...

I was at a panel at Magfest a few years ago that talked about this.

Long and short, even though you've stopped buying lootboxes, someone else still is. Depending on how many boxes those other people are buying, they can actually offset the boxes not being bought by other people, ergo minimizing or even negating any potential profit losses.

So... what can you do? 🤷

• ChristinChristin ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

@counterpoint said:

@Christin said:
    You're not the only one feeling like this, and there are plenty of other players that most likely have spent their last dime on this game. From players that bought $250 for a mount that ended up getting dumped on broker [...]

You've mentioned this in a bunch of threads now, but FWIW, people spent $250 to get 35000 EMP and as a bonus they got a dyeable outfit and a rare mount. No one should have thought the mount or the outfit would be "worth $250" -- they still have the $250 worth of EMP to spend on whatever they want.

The argument about lootboxes I totally understand (as mentioned above), but this one is just some weird sort of misunderstanding if people are actually upset about this.

Actually, it was a big selling point for that huge pack to get a an exclusive mount. Yeah, you can buy a lot smaller pack of EMP and still have the EMP, so to say "Well, they still got the EMP." is a bit cold-hearted. Are you seriously sitting there saying everyone bought $250 worth of EMP just for the EMP? Yeah, and the mount turned out to be dumped all over the broker along with that dyeable outfit. Everyone knew the outfit wasn't going to keep its value, but to have the mounts drop like that is ridiculous. Just another perfect example of how little EME really cares about the players that they let something some people paid big bucks for just tank on the broker. Your defense of that really doesn't help much.

• edited December 2019

@Christin said:

@counterpoint said:

@Christin said:
    You're not the only one feeling like this, and there are plenty of other players that most likely have spent their last dime on this game. From players that bought $250 for a mount that ended up getting dumped on broker [...]

You've mentioned this in a bunch of threads now, but FWIW, people spent $250 to get 35000 EMP and as a bonus they got a dyeable outfit and a rare mount. No one should have thought the mount or the outfit would be "worth $250" -- they still have the $250 worth of EMP to spend on whatever they want.

The argument about lootboxes I totally understand (as mentioned above), but this one is just some weird sort of misunderstanding if people are actually upset about this.

Actually, it was a big selling point for that huge pack to get a an exclusive mount. Yeah, you can buy a lot smaller pack of EMP and still have the EMP, so to say "Well, they still got the EMP." is a bit cold-hearted. Are you seriously sitting there saying everyone bought $250 worth of EMP just for the EMP? Yeah, and the mount turned out to be dumped all over the broker along with that dyeable outfit. Everyone knew the outfit wasn't going to keep its value, but to have the mounts drop like that is ridiculous. Just another perfect example of how little EME really cares about the players that they let something some people paid big bucks for just tank on the broker. Your defense of that really doesn't help much.

They were literally "gifts with purchase" -- they're bonus items.

Besides, what exactly do you expect them to do to make sure the mount "retains its value on the broker"? They're still exclusive to that bundle. What people are selling them for is a reflection of how desirable they are to other players, and the apparent fact that more people bought the $250 bundle without caring about the mount than you seemingly hoped. Are you saying they should have given people less of a reason to want to buy EMP so that the mounts would remain more rare to the people who bought it, and thus more desirable?

Again, there is so much legitimately wrong to complain about... I don't know why this is taken as a sign of the end-times in the midst of everything else. It makes no sense.

• ChristinChristin ✭✭✭✭

@counterpoint said:

@Christin said:

@counterpoint said:

@Christin said:

They were literally "gifts with purchase" -- they're bonus items.

Besides, what exactly do you expect them to do to make sure the mount "retains its value on the broker"? They're still exclusive to that bundle. What people are selling them for is a reflection of how desirable they are to other players, and the apparent fact that more people bought the $250 bundle without caring about the mount than you seemingly hoped. Are you saying they should have given people less of a reason to want to buy EMP so that the mounts would remain more rare to the people who bought it, and thus more desirable?

Again, there is so much legitimately wrong to complain about... I don't know why this is taken as a sign of the end-times in the midst of everything else. It makes no sense.

Once again you just twist everything and then add in some random point to deflect the real issue(less of a reason to buy? smh). I'll be sure to tell the people that feel burned by the entire Black Friday event that they should just stfu, because you feel they have nothing legitimately to complain about. Just wow. You act like this to so many people on here yet if anyone posts anything about you, you label it as a "personal attack". Oh, the irony of it all.

TBH, I don't really care what they do anymore. The smartest thing they could have done would have been to buy up those mounts, so they wouldn't have dropped to be utterly worthless. Of course, they don't do that, because they can't even stand to play their own game let alone log on to buy up some mounts so people that spent a lot of money on them don't feel like a bunch of fools, but who cares. They spent money on this game, so yeah, they should feel like a bunch of fools right? On one hand you say that people that spend money are supporting the game, but on the other hand it's alright if they end up regretting it within hours of their purchase. Whatever. You and the other brain surgeons at EME seems to know everything anyways. You all have done such a great job so far that as soon as summer was over, the pvp server became dead and new players constantly complain on the pve server that dungeons won't pop. Yeah, applauds all around! Certainly whatever you're doing is working out really great!

Well, moving on now. Not even going to bother to comment on the other threads as it's obvious nothing ever goes anywhere anyways. You simply placate everyone on here and then proceed to explain to them why their complaint or issue isn't really BHS or EME's fault at all. Same rhetoric, different day.

• edited December 2019

@Christin said:
    The smartest thing they could have done would have been to buy up those mounts, so they wouldn't have dropped to be utterly worthless. Of course, they don't do that, because they can't even stand to play their own game let alone log on to buy up some mounts so people that spent a lot of money on them don't feel like a bunch of fools, but who cares.

I don't think EME directly intervening in the player market to artificially inflate demand by buying up all the supply is really solving anything. I'd even border on calling that unethical since it interferes with the fair chance for F2P players to get mounts at a price determined by actual player supply and demand. (If the people who bought the EMP don't want the mount, that's a better opportunity for other players who do want it to get it.) The fact that you bought the EMP based on a prediction of the rarity/value of the mount is basically a speculation game you played, and you don't always win that kind of speculation. And yes, you still got the mount + the costume + 35000 EMP (which is a better $:EMP ratio than is available at almost any other time of the year), so I honestly don't think you were shortchanged. I'm not saying that people who feel that way should "stfu"... but I'm saying that your argument about the problem and the proposed solution isn't very convincing. I highly doubt that I'm a harder person to convince than the EME staff would be.

You simply placate everyone on here and then proceed to explain to them why their complaint or issue isn't really BHS or EME's fault at all.

Sometimes I think it clearly is EME or BHS's fault, and when it is, I say so (and typically explain that I've already raised the issue to them or will do so). Other times, I explain why I think it's BHS/EME's fault but there are circumstances that make it this way (which is usually because the issue has already been brought up). Other times when I legitimately don't think it's anyone's fault, I'll say that too. But I try to say something whenever possible so people don't feel like no one's listening (even if it isn't the answer they want to hear).

What's the alternative? Do nothing and let people argue into the void with absolutely no feedback about whether there argument carries any potential weight or not? Lie and pretend like people's feedback is valid to make them feel better when I know full well that their arguments are flawed or there are circumstances preventing the issue from being addressed? I've been carrying on exactly the same way for as long as I've been on this forum (even back when Minea was still around). If people truly think that my being here is the cause of EME no longer taking interest in the forum, I can step down and leave it to the fates. I don't need to be the punching bag for people's frustration that EME isn't paying a community team anymore and no one has the time/responsibility to monitor the forum.