[TERA Console] Maintenance to deploy the v86.01 update is scheduled for Monday, September 14 at 7 p.m. PT. Patch notes: http://bit.ly/terac_v86
[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

I feel that most people who don't hate EME at this point are fooling themselves

into thinking that somehow if they stay positive that EME will save TERA.

Comments

• SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭✭

Before this topic is inevitably locked (Aside: no offense to you, counterpoint. I legit think you do good work.), "hate" is a strong word. I'm pretty sure most people don't hate EME (at least not to the same extent as, say, EA or Konami), but people are getting increasingly frustrated with their shenanigans.

I know this much: if EME does Gift Boxes again and we get another elin-only outfit as a bonus, I'm doing everything I can to drag their name through the mud.

• the people in the other en masse game so they don't like their attitude.

• JerichowJerichow ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

I wouldn't say I 'hate' EME personally... however, the ever growing track record of things they've done over the past couple of years have gotten me to the point that I genuinely have zero faith or respect for them as a company anymore. To me, at this point, they're as god awful and harmful to gaming as EA, Activision, and Bethesda. Some of their staff might be pretty good (looking at you Counterpoint), but as a whole, given the decisions EME as a company, and some of their staff individually have taken - I wouldn't lose a minute of sleep if the company went under.

And to be honest - as far as I'm concerned, they did it to themselves. From the years of complete radio silence, to the countless hollow and empty, "we're listening" posts, to the decisions they've made to push people into the cash shop harder and harder (gem boxes as an example), to the removing of double vanguard rewards that were in place for years with the spineless excuse of it being an 'event' that they just decided to end. All the way up to posts like one of the final nails in the coffin for me - [mod edit: removed personal staff call-out] And then all the way up to the entirety of the DMCA fiasco just made me realize that NA Tera would probably be better off handled by another company at this point.

I actually hope Tera follows what happened to Kritika, that it ended up failing through EME, only to be relaunched in NA without them. Even if it costs me all of my characters and progress, for me, it would be worth it if it meant Tera got a new start with another, far more capable and reputable company. This may not be applicable to others who have invested thousands into this game, but for me, I can stomach the loss if it means Tera gets another fresh start.

• I don't hate eme, but I don't respect them either. they never really listened to our complaints, and many times they would ban people in the forums if they spoke out against something. blaming everything on bhs or giving us an excuse like you would a toddler didn't help things. also they stopped being active on the official eme forums and moved to other places for us to find out information. I didn't like spacecats nor his attitude at times, but he at least was in the forums instead of depending on player council members ( I have no problems with counterpoint, he has done a better job than our cm's ). I know there are rumors going around about maybe a tera 2 , but I have to say if it is a real thing, I hope we get someone else running it for na. someone that will listen to the players hardcore and casual players alike. eme was great, but it seems like they just stopped caring over the past few years. I hope they change and go back to caring again and then maybe people will not hate them and come to respect them again.

• @Jerichow said:
    To me, at this point, they're as god awful and harmful to gaming as EA, Activision, and Bethesda.

@allofspaceandtime said:
    I don't hate eme, but I don't respect them either.

Agree with both of you but these two sentences really summarized my feelings for them.
    (And yeah, a big thank you to Counterpoint.)
    I understand EME have done some positive changes, but compared to everything else, it can feel empty or just get overlooked.
    I feel more upset at BH, but EME doesn't feel that far behind.

• edited December 2019

@Jerichow said:
    I actually hope Tera follows what happened to Kritika, that it ended up failing through EME, only to be relaunched in NA without them. Even if it costs me all of my characters and progress, for me, it would be worth it if it meant Tera got a new start with another, far more capable and reputable company. This may not be applicable to others who have invested thousands into this game, but for me, I can stomach the loss if it means Tera gets another fresh start.

The irony here is what happened with Kritika is that it's being published directly by the developers (so basically "cut out the middleman"). But the biggest thing that's been happening here these last few years is that they've left more of the decision-making to the developers. These are the same developers who, as we know, took the game itself in the direction we've gotten (endlessly grindy, painful expensive RNG progression, gating progression so you can pay to bypass, "expansions" that add no real content but grind, etc.). So if what actually happened with Kritika happened here, I feel confident in saying that it'd only get worse.

IMO, what's needed is actually the complete opposite: to invest more resources into the EME staff and allow them to take a more hands-on role in the direction of TERA PC -- to take ownership of all the problems the game has and solve it themselves without regard to the game developers' bad ideas. EME needs to pay full-time people just to focus on TERA PC gameplay and QoL improvements (not console, not the "EME Platform", not TERA cash shop) and to deliver what the players in our market want. But obviously this is a business decision that has to be made at the C-level, and I'm sure there's pressure on them from their Korean venture capital investors to do more with less, decrease costs, increase profitability, and start leveraging economies of scale (so that their company can sustain itself beyond the shelf-life of any one given game and becomes a multi-purpose game publishing pipeline). As players, we're in the middle of this and IMO we're losing. But the biggest reason we're losing is a combination of both factors: EME investing less in TERA PC (and so pushing more on the BHS dev team), and the BHS development team taking the game in a direction many of us dislike. If it weren't for the two together, I don't think we'd be in this situation.

Having worked with a lot of the "boots on the ground" workers at EME, I know that they are trying to do the best they can given the constraints they're under. I do not hate those people (although I don't envy the situation they're in). But I think it's hard to overstate the impact of the change in corporate resource allocation over the game's lifetime. The staff we have are shared between TERA PC and Console (all global markets, incl. NA, EU, Japan), and many of the shared resources they used to rely on have been cut (e.g. community team), and so that's why they have to rely on the developers' judgement for the visionary direction of TERA PC. So if you're looking for an arrangement where you're being listened to more, I really don't think you want the Kritika arrangement here.

I need to mention very clearly, I am not EME staff, and my opinions above are my own based on my observations over many years. I don't know what goes on at the boardroom tables anymore than anyone else, so the above is just conjecture.

Anyway, aside all this, as others said, I have to lock this thread for being against the rules. I also have to edit out some call outs/personal attacks against specific EME staff, which are also against the rules. It is possible that this thread might be deleted, but I won't delete it at this time.

This discussion has been closed.