[PC] We are aware of issues surrounding the event EP booster, and are working to resolve this. Currently, we are working towards having this fixed on Tuesday, 02/25 in a hotfix maintenance. We will have further details as we approach this fix. Thank you for your patience and understanding!

One more question...why are we being censored?

And why does it censor certain words but not other ahem obviously "explicit" words?

Comments

• TsukasaKunTsukasaKun ✭✭
    edited December 2019

Because it's not a good filter. They very rarely are. In the case of this one, any capital letters bypasses it. Several words aren't caught. And the censor should be outright removed - especially if it was enabled in error. Or should have an off-switch that doesn't require third-party tools/mods.

• Rox mentioned in Discord today that they've contacted BHS to ask them how to turn it off, because it wasn't intentional from their point of view. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

• Thanks for the heads-up, counterpoint. Had a feeling it wasn't intentional. A bit of a slip-up by BHS while building the various regions seemed more likely than EME intentionally having it turned on.

• TJKatTJKat ✭✭✭

You think EME - the company that won't let us have signs because of what some people might type on them - WOULDN'T intentionally censor chat in their M rated game?

• I mean there should be a clientside option to filter swears
    dunno about completely removing colorful language

• MargaretRoseMargaretRose ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maldicion159 said:
    I mean there should be a clientside option to filter swears
    dunno about completely removing colorful language

I agree.
    However, I see no issue with a few curses.

• edited December 2019

@TJKat said:
    You think EME - the company that won't let us have signs because of what some people might type on them - WOULDN'T intentionally censor chat in their M rated game?

There did used to be a chat filter a very long time ago (when the game first launched and for the first few years). At one point many years ago, the old system changed to a new one which I suspect is the one that got accidentally turned on now, and then I think they turned it off because it didn't work well.

You're not wrong in that the net reason is probably the very same: when people use colorful language in chat, it results in more offended people sending in support tickets, which take more time for support staff to triage and resolve (if action is needed). (Even though the game is rated M, there's still a code of conduct for chat.) By reducing the opportunities for people to post offensive comments, it reduces their support tickets. Obviously taken to an extreme, you get certain games that don't even have chat at all and just use stickers or whatever, and that's clearly not the goal here. But that's the general logic of why we don't have signs and why they might put a chat filter if it actually helped more than it hurt.

In any case, this chat filter and its sudden activation were not intentional, so hopefully it gets turned off soon.

• TJKatTJKat ✭✭✭

I'm a little curious when have we NOT had a chat filter? I don't know if it's suddenly gotten stricter, but I've been getting messages filtered for silly things for years now. Like, go type "Awww" in chat (no quotes), and you're apparently violating the rules of conduct. That one specifically I can testify has been filtered from chat for years.

• SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭✭

@TJKat said:
    I'm a little curious when have we NOT had a chat filter? I don't know if it's suddenly gotten stricter, but I've been getting messages filtered for silly things for years now. Like, go type "Awww" in chat (no quotes), and you're apparently violating the rules of conduct. That one specifically I can testify has been filtered from chat for years.

You can thank RMT sites for that one. That's also why they get increasingly nonsensical in format: to circumvent those filters.

Now, the term "suck" getting censored, that's just peculiar.

• TJKatTJKat ✭✭✭

That's just the one that came to mind since it regularly comes up for me. But I've had some really strange words get filtered over the years. I wish I could remember which words they were, but I do remember once having a euphemism for some crude term get censored, yet the actual crude term itself wasn't.