K-TERA Dev Note (Q1/2 2020 Roadmap)

Official Dev Note

Hey I haven't seen anyone post about this yet so I figured I'd share my poorly google translated TLDR of a recent K-TERA Dev Note.
Basically all of these changes are slated to be added in K-TERA in the first half of 2020. (So probably the later half for us.)

Seems like some pretty nice changes to look forward to.
There might be an official translation of this Dev Note later but for now I guess this can work.

TLDR

PVP

• Significantly lower the cost of purchasing PVP equipment
  • Improve battleground rewards significantly
  • Adding "PVE Rewards"
  • Special Reward for 2020 season Rank players ("Dedicated Equipment" Like Exarch Mask?)

Questing/Dungeons

• Exodor Quests - Increased rewards (experience and skill experience)
  • Dungeon status and rewards overhauled to match the new equipment

Gear

• Gold gear drop rate from boxes and dungeons increased
  • Added New items for Equipment Damage, Disenchant Prevention, and Random Stat Rerolling obtainable as drops in dungeons

Balance and Skills

• Something about diversifying playstyle (Maybe making physical and magical stats less black and white?)

Performance and Optimization

• Matching system overhaul
  • 64-bit client support

Overall these changes seem pretty nice. I'm looking forward to an official translation or at least one done by someone who's a lot better than I am lol.
I did skip over a few things that I wasn't sure on. If I missed anything important or read anything wrong definitely let me know so I can change it :+1:

Comments

• Have to admit that, with the amount of weird legacy stuff in this old code, I'm extremely (but pleasantly) surprised about the 64-bit change. They're not promising a full rework or anything, so I'm not expecting it solve all the performance issues, but even just the increased ability to access memory would probably help smooth out a lot. Believe it when I see it, but a good step.

• I think that nobody wanted to publish it because they know EME will alter the patch to make the game more hardcore or current players have found a way to ruin everyone's experience (again).

apart from "Performance and Optimization" the rest will surely be ruined.

• still waiting for that big pvp comeback

• SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭✭

@PP597W94LA said:
    I think that nobody wanted to publish it because they know EME will alter the patch to make the game more hardcore or current players have found a way to ruin everyone's experience (again).

Let's be fair - back in the "golden age" the customizations here and there were largely well-received (such as the PvP tournaments). If anything, this is a combination of a reluctance to evolve with the landscape with the removal of various tangential things for whatever reason.

For example: why is it taking this long to finally get 64-bit support (assuming the translation is accurate)? Also, when was the last time there was an art contest: the ninja release?

• AnungAnung ✭✭

"64-bit client support", this sound interesting besides the pvp changes.

• @SageWindu said:
    Let's be fair - back in the "golden age" the customizations here and there were largely well-received (such as the PvP tournaments). If anything, this is a combination of a reluctance to evolve with the landscape with the removal of various tangential things for whatever reason.

For example: why is it taking this long to finally get 64-bit support (assuming the translation is accurate)? Also, when was the last time there was an art contest: the ninja release?

It's almost all because, as the game got smaller (for many reasons), the size of the team working on it shrunk, both at BHS and at EME. It used to be that we had a community team of three people just working on TERA PC (back when we had PvP tournaments, etc.). With no community team, there's no one to organize tournaments, art contests, etc. (There were art contests since ninja, by the way, but not in the last year or so.) On the dev side too, the team is much smaller than it used to be, which is obvious if you look at pace of updates these last few years (and the increased emphasis on more grind with less). You can play a bit of a "chicken-and-egg" game with all this and say that it's because less resources were invested that the game has been shrinking, but the truth is more messy. This is definitely not to defend the decisions they made that contributed to getting the game to this point (a lot of which I wholly disagree with), but it's basically why things are the way they are.

I'm guessing that the engine improvement might be the byproduct of work they are also doing on A:IR (since it also runs UE3), so probably they have an engine team working on this for all their UE3 products, including TERA. Don't know that for sure of course, but it'd make sense that their company would leverage engine work across multiple games and not all of a sudden decide now to just improve TERA PC at this point in its lifecycle.

• AnungAnung ✭✭
    edited January 26

@counterpoint said:

@SageWindu said:

It's almost all because, as the game got smaller (for many reasons), the size of the team working on it shrunk, both at BHS and at EME. It used to be that we had a community team of three people just working on TERA PC (back when we had PvP tournaments, etc.). With no community team, there's no one to organize tournaments, art contests, etc. (There were art contests since ninja, by the way, but not in the last year or so.) On the dev side too, the team is much smaller than it used to be, which is obvious if you look at pace of updates these last few years (and the increased emphasis on more grind with less). You can play a bit of a "chicken-and-egg" game with all this and say that it's because less resources were invested that the game has been shrinking, but the truth is more messy. This is definitely not to defend the decisions they made that contributed to getting the game to this point (a lot of which I wholly disagree with), but it's basically why things are the way they are.

I'm guessing that the engine improvement might be the byproduct of work they are also doing on A:IR (since it also runs UE3), so probably they have an engine team working on this for all their UE3 products, including TERA. Don't know that for sure of course, but it'd make sense that their company would leverage engine work across multiple games and not all of a sudden decide now to just improve TERA PC at this point in its lifecycle.

God hear your words buddy LOL, I really want to see an ue3 optimization.

• @SageWindu disse:

@PP597W94LA said:
    I think that nobody wanted to publish it because they know EME will alter the patch to make the game more hardcore or current players have found a way to ruin everyone's experience (again).

in fact, even with 64 bit support, it should not make the community play again.
    even the current tera players do not want to play everything is AFK using elin dance.

there are several ready that should make this 64 bit support useless.

1. toxic game end community
    2. elitism in DG PVE
    3. RNG completely broken
    4. market black with extremely high price.
    5. random ban making the banned person's friends leave the game and with bonus speaking ill of the company and game.

and so on.

honestly the basics of this game is already broken 2% chance that some new player will stay in the game.

• @counterpoint disse:

@SageWindu said:

it just looks like a "meaningless defense".

bluehole and En masse, who left tera aside, invested all the money earned from the "golden age" in failed games (or games that they themselves failed because they don't know how to control the community).

instead of investing money in tera even though they know they have 20,000,000 accounts, they are willing to spend the rest of the money on A: IR that can be a bankrupt game since it uses UE3 they still had enough money to pay a team to create a game from scratch

unfortunately they preferred to bet on a game that nobody knows anything about (more so that nobody asked for) who tries to revive tera who had 20,000,000 accounts.

• another thing that caused the ruin of tera was the fact that there are several serves.

1.en masse and gameforge created serves to separate the community
    2.en masse (I don't know if the gameforge did too) created 2 for PS 4 and Xbox.

and several serves that separate the community, this only works if it were like the fortnite that e 1 serves connects to the pc, ps4 and xbox.

• I've got a Korean TERA account. I'll have to test and report back once these "optimizations" launch.

I wouldn't doubt that there's been some help from the A:IR team with these changes as well. I believe that a pretty good portion of the current TERA dev team also worked on Black Desert. I'm sure everyone feels that there are more parallels between TERA and BDO than ever before for better or worse.

One thing that BDO did impress me with however is their relentless efforts to improve their game's engine. Whether that be with optimization or graphically, they definitely put a lot of effort into it; even if their focus was often misdirected. One of the more impressive things that I saw was when they managed to shrink the entire game client down to a little over 20GB. Maybe not what everyone asked for but it was still quite a feat.

I think 2020 will be a good year for the game at least from a development perspective. On the publisher side though, En Masse barely exists in TERA anymore. It will be interesting to see where things go with their more hands off approach.

• AnungAnung ✭✭

@DeusFurta said:
    I've got a Korean TERA account. I'll have to test and report back once these "optimizations" launch.

I wouldn't doubt that there's been some help from the A:IR team with these changes as well. I believe that a pretty good portion of the current TERA dev team also worked on Black Desert. I'm sure everyone feels that there are more parallels between TERA and BDO than ever before for better or worse.

One thing that BDO did impress me with however is their relentless efforts to improve their game's engine. Whether that be with optimization or graphically, they definitely put a lot of effort into it; even if their focus was often misdirected. One of the more impressive things that I saw was when they managed to shrink the entire game client down to a little over 20GB. Maybe not what everyone asked for but it was still quite a feat.

I think 2020 will be a good year for the game at least from a development perspective. On the publisher side though, En Masse barely exists in TERA anymore. It will be interesting to see where things go with their more hands off approach.

So, the 64 bit client optimization is real?... honestly it's hard for me to believe that we are going to have it, but if it's true, DUDE finally.

• JerichowJerichow ✭✭✭✭

@PP597W94LA said:

@SageWindu disse:

@PP597W94LA said:

in fact, even with 64 bit support, it should not make the community play again.
    even the current tera players do not want to play everything is AFK using elin dance.

I mean with posts like this it's basically a self-fulfilling prophecy, but I digress.

Assuming this is actually correct Just the fact that Tera is getting 64-bit client support is a great thing that's going to help a lot of people still playing, or those honestly just waiting for the game to run more smoothly. This has been something the community has been asking for almost half a decade, so even though it is YEARS late, I'm still happy to see it.

There have been people saying for a long time that if BHS released a patch that just fixed engine optimization issues and client-side problems, people would be happier about that then getting your typical patch of 2 more dungeons cycled back into rotation with beefed up numbers. And quite frankly, I agree.

There's obviously a plethora of things on a list a mile long that BHS could do to revitalize TERA, but at this point, it's an aging game and popularity for it won't ever reach anywhere near what it used to be at. Even going the extra mile for sake of conversation, with a massive engine overhaul, or even a complete update to UE4, optimization for non-korean levels of latency, completely non-gender-locked classes, a total rework of crafting and a dozen new dungeons all with unique bosses and mechanics, and a legitimately coherent story that makes the lore make sense... Unless they relaunch TERA as either an entirely different game, or TERA 2, then people aren't going to bite. As it is, they're just tired of this game.

Regardless of all of that - this is a good first step and if it really is 64-bit support, I'm willing to reinstall TERA to check out how in handles on various hardware.

• just an illusion.
    if you had supported 64 bit in the "past" it might even work more now everyone who likes mmorpg can play WOW classic, black desert and ff 14 and this year the launch of phantasy star online 2.

why did they go back to the game? being that the same game with the same story with only 64 bit

and even if it comes back, the game is broken in the community.

I can even see several players returning to play and being kicked in the PVE because they have a weak or bad set.

the return of the elitist player I send everyone who returns to the game looking for a guide and not disturbing their game.

the player returns and seeing the black market broken with extremely high item value.

many already dislike En masse so they hardly ever went back.

it is no use just think on the positive side you have to see the negative side too.

• AnungAnung ✭✭

Honestly I just want to see the 64 bits optimization, I could care less if the game is going to catch the attention of new/old players, it surely wont, but I mean, who cares at this point of the story?, just play Tera while you can buddy and don't sweat it too much, cuz we all know that the game is managed by potatoes.