[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

Accumulated Event Login Bugged...again...debugging information

Hello,

This is the 3rd accumulated login event in a row that I can't see. I saw it the first day of the event, then after some reset, it has been gone. Of course, I will submit a ticket because the support staff are pretty understanding and very helpful. This is just to see if others had thoughts on possible causes of this? I don't use any mods, or anything outside of the vanilla Tera. My girlfriend who plays across from me through the same router/ISP does not seem to have this problem.

One point that was brought up in the discord, is that perhaps I was on during one of their resets. Currently we'll be looking at the reset that happens at 5pm PT. Then perhaps the one at 12am PT. If anyone has information or thoughts, please feel free to share.

Thanks,
Davri

Comments

  • +1
    Fishing alot, through resets.
    I got the first day then it disappeared T-T

    However my friend who hardly got on at all yesterday, and didn't get the vanguard completed to even get the first one ended up having it disappear on her today as well. I don't think she was on during the reset so it doesn't appear to me that this bug has anything to do with being logged in during reset...
    We both play on steam.
    Dunno what else to add...

  • DavriDavri ✭✭

    Thank you for the feedback. I've empirically confirmed with other people that fishing or being online through multiple resets is NOT causing the calendar to disappear. I'll have to think of other possibilities.

  • It seems to be account specific. 3rd time happening to me on this account, my other accounts appears to be normal.

  • DreadweaverDreadweaver ✭✭✭
    edited May 9

    Don't see either. Again and again and again I have to write tickets to support and send screenshots and prove that I logged, did vanguards, and I have nothing.... I just don't get why is it so hard to either 1 fix it at last, or 2 make something else!

    EME making issues every time, what should happen so you'd understand that it DOESN WORK????

  • edited May 9

    @Dreadweaver said:
    Don't see either. Again and again and again I have to write tickets to support and send screenshots and prove that I logged, did vanguards, and I have nothing.... I just don't get why is it so hard to either 1 fix it at last, or 2 make something else!

    EME making issues every time, what should happen so you'd understand that it DOESN WORK????

    They're not "making" the issue; this event is in the game proper. For most people it does work, but for a small group of people it doesn't, and so far no one has figured out why it doesn't work just for that group. All the things I've tried testing myself have failed to reproduce the bug so far. I know it sucks but if you can just contact support with evidence and they provide you with the whole set of items (which I understand is what they were doing) then you honestly have it a bit easier (since you don't have to worry about logging in every day and doing a vanguard to get the full set). If the volume of people impacted got high enough that this solution was no longer feasible for support to handle, then it'd be more efficient to do a different type of event, but they clearly haven't crossed that threshold yet.

    If anyone has any ideas of what triggers this, and it's something that's somehow reproducible, that'd be really great. (It doesn't seem to be related to the computer or connection or installation (or timezone), since people with multiple accounts may have one broken and others working fine. It doesn't seem to be related to being online at specific rollover times like 0:00 UTC or 7:00 UTC when the event resets. It doesn't seem to be related to whether you're in the game a lot or a little (or if you restart the launcher daily) because of the group impacted there are people in both camps...)

  • DavriDavri ✭✭

    @counterpoint said:

    @Dreadweaver said:
    Don't see either. Again and again and again I have to write tickets to support and send screenshots and prove that I logged, did vanguards, and I have nothing.... I just don't get why is it so hard to either 1 fix it at last, or 2 make something else!

    EME making issues every time, what should happen so you'd understand that it DOESN WORK????

    They're not "making" the issue; this event is in the game proper. For most people it does work, but for a small group of people it doesn't, and so far no one has figured out why it doesn't work just for that group. All the things I've tried testing myself have failed to reproduce the bug so far. I know it sucks but if you can just contact support with evidence and they provide you with the whole set of items (which I understand is what they were doing) then you honestly have it a bit easier (since you don't have to worry about logging in every day and doing a vanguard to get the full set). If the volume of people impacted got high enough that this solution was no longer feasible for support to handle, then it'd be more efficient to do a different type of event, but they clearly haven't crossed that threshold yet.

    If anyone has any ideas of what triggers this, and it's something that's somehow reproducible, that'd be really great. (It doesn't seem to be related to the computer or connection or installation (or timezone), since people with multiple accounts may have one broken and others working fine. It doesn't seem to be related to being online at specific rollover times like 0:00 UTC or 7:00 UTC when the event resets. It doesn't seem to be related to whether you're in the game a lot or a little (or if you restart the launcher daily) because of the group impacted there are people in both camps...)

    Yes, thank you. I meant this thread to be more about debugging ideas for this problem. Although, yes, it is very frustrating; this is also the 3rd event in a row that it has happened to me. But like @counterpoint said, the support staff are incredibly helpful. Like counterpoint said, something like this seems to be embedded in the event code itself. Thinking out loud here: one question I would ask the developers is: how are different accounts treated for an event like this? I would expect all accounts to be treated the same with an event such as this in the code, but this bug suggests otherwise. In particular, are there accounts where this event has to be rolled out to manually/differently?

    If server->account is not the problem, then maybe each account where this happens is deleting the front-end of the event. But I would need a debugger on the game to look at this. I've seen Null pointer references come up in Tera before, so I wouldn't be surprised if my account is throwing an exception when the event code tries to load, so it doesn't load completely. Of course, the million dollar question, is what is causing such an exception to be thrown. I cannot see the server logs.

  • metagamemetagame ✭✭✭✭

    Davri said:
    how are different accounts treated for an event like this?

    things that immediately come to mind when differing one account from another would be stuff like:
    elite status
    founder status
    account creation date

    the best thing you can do is send in a ticket pointing out that you aren't able to get any rewards. if you can include an unedited/cropped image showing that you don't have access to the "accumulated login event" selection in your menu, they'll just manually send you all the rewards from the event.

    it's worth noting that they'll only do this during the event, so you can't contact them afterwards to claim rewards from a previous login event (i tried this and was not successful).

  • I've seen another game try to bring out new functionality to their already existing store. When that got released, it was causing a lot of errors and spammed the servers with repeated calls - the game essentially DDOS'd itself. Since they were getting so many errors, it essentially slowed down all services to the point where the store stopped functioning for some people - if it can only handle so many requests at a time it starts to discard some requests if the rate is too high. Is it possible that the calendar is doing something similar?

  • edited May 11

    @Oicwutudidthur said:
    I've seen another game try to bring out new functionality to their already existing store. When that got released, it was causing a lot of errors and spammed the servers with repeated calls - the game essentially DDOS'd itself. Since they were getting so many errors, it essentially slowed down all services to the point where the store stopped functioning for some people - if it can only handle so many requests at a time it starts to discard some requests if the rate is too high. Is it possible that the calendar is doing something similar?

    I don't think so because, for the people who this is affecting, it's 100% consistent and it's tied specifically to their account. If they have a second account and login under the same conditions, chances are it will work. So I think as was said above, it must come down to some sort of property or setting related to the affected accounts themselves, but no idea what it is.

    (FWIW, my account is Elite + founders + created back at original launch, but no luck reproducing. I guess we can try to gather these data points from others impacted, but I'm not sure we'll find anything we can see on our side. It may well be some setting that's deep in the database.)

Sign In or Register to comment.