[TERA PC & CONSOLE] One week left in Summerfest, Part 1: Festival of the Sun! Part 2: The Beach Bash kicks off August 11. Participate in Summerfest activities to earn tokens redeemable for costumes, consumables, mounts, and more! Details: https://bit.ly/tera_sf20

Exodor mobs should feel more rewarding to farm for how tanky they are

You created this cool new archipelago only to fill it with mobs who 95% of the time drop skill advancement experience and Duranium gear the other 4.9% of the time.
I'm the kind of player that likes to spend an hour running in a circle, killing groups of Exodor mobs again and again, to see if I can get some interesting stuff, but the good stuff like Feedstock, Tokens or Gear are such rare drops that it feels very unrewarding. It's just such wasted potential. Not to mention that BAMs have exactly the same problem. They're the hardest open world BAMs to kill outside of global ones like Cerrus, Ortan, Hazard and some named bosses, yet you almost always only get skill advancement experience. Are you trying to force people to do party dungeons that much? Is that such a big goal?

Comments

• @Glaiver said:
    Are you trying to force people to do party dungeons that much? Is that such a big goal?

Honestly, the answer is probably yes. A big reason is because "profitable" open world grinding (like you're talking about) encourages botting. They already kinda/sorta created a problem like that with fishing. They occasionally make open world mob kill events, but they're time limited. But besides that, they need a critical mass of people to do group content to be viable, and group content is also limited (to control the speed/pace of progression, and sadly, to sell adventure coins...). They've used vanguard requests to provide a middle ground for this in some cases (kill mobs, get a reward, but only a limited number of times per day), but in general open world mob drops aren't going to be that lucrative.

• NilkemiaNilkemia ✭✭

@counterpoint said:

@Glaiver said:
    Are you trying to force people to do party dungeons that much? Is that such a big goal?

Honestly, the answer is probably yes.

There is no "probably", the answer to that is a definite yes.

The introduction of Kaia's gear, these Warlord accessories and the constant disparity between rewards from dungeons and other content has shown time and time again that Bluehole never learns, and continues to favor dungeons to the detriment of all other content they have or could have in this game. They have all but made clear that if a player can't do the dungeons, or doesn't want to, they're screwed, since not only are the best tiers gated off completely, they can't even progress through the lower tiers at a reasonable pace either.

The special bosses that dropped the weapon and armor boxes were the only thing keeping Exodor worthwhile, and while those had problems too, Bluehole once again "solved" the problem by making it even worse, making the bosses now "random spawns" that might show up if you slog through the enemies where they would normally be...which of course never happens. And since the boxes would likely just drop Duranium and/or Azart gear, both of which are generally considered garbage by this point, why waste time on that?

Their continued attempts to incentivize and favor dungeons are a big part of why Tera is in this rut now. I don't know if the KR audience enjoys that, but the point is that it doesn't work over here, especially when most of the game discourages partying to begin with yet forces you to do it to make any real progress later on. There is plenty of content (The Ace dungeons, the IoD BAM tokens, Guardian Legion missions for examples) that has been just left behind that could be changed to provide some alternatives to progress, yet they refuse. I can only guess that deep down, they realize that if there were viable alternatives, most people wouldn't bother with their precious dungeons.

And thus, as a consequence, Exodor, a flying archipelago, something you'd think they couldn't screw up, is just another zone that most don't want to bother with.

• @Nilkemia said:
    Their continued attempts to incentivize and favor dungeons are a big part of why Tera is in this rut now. I don't know if the KR audience enjoys that, but the point is that it doesn't work over here, especially when most of the game discourages partying to begin with yet forces you to do it to make any real progress later on. There is plenty of content (The Ace dungeons, the IoD BAM tokens, Guardian Legion missions for examples) that has been just left behind that could be changed to provide some alternatives to progress, yet they refuse. I can only guess that deep down, they realize that if there were viable alternatives, most people wouldn't bother with their precious dungeons.

Honestly though, one of the biggest pieces of feedback they got from the "era" that tried to introduce solo alternatives to group content was specifically that people didn't like them moving away from dungeons (and that people felt that the "best era" of TERA was back when it was all about dungeons). Many people commented at the time that, given that TERA is an MMO based on the traditional RPG trinity, solo content advantages DPS players and makes progression more tedious/annoying especially for healers. A lot of people said that moving away from group content was itself the step back (and why "TERA is in this rut now"). I'm not necessarily saying that's my personal opinion entirely, but it was definitely a commonly-held view, and one that the developers themselves reflected in their comments about changes they made. So I sort of feel like it's an "it all depends on who you ask" sort of issue. Part of why I think Exodor ended up in this current state is because it was created initially in that era focusing on solo grinds, but they then decided to shift back towards an emphasis on dungeons, so it's in this unhappy middleground that seems somewhat wasteful.

Personally, I still feel that one of TERA's biggest problems in these last years is that they've lacked a really cohesive vision for what TERA is, who it's for, and what players should expect. They tried to be a sort of "big tent" where they absorb gameplay ideas from many other games (in the last few years a lot from BDO, for instance) as a sort of "we can do that too" move, but it didn't really "gel" into a package, and they don't have enough staff to really keep all the plates spinning in all the different aspects. So as a result, things went in waves and it felt like the whole focus/emphasis of the game was shifting to different things. This inevitably pleases no one because the people who liked x now find that they're neglecting x to do more of y but they don't like y, and then new players who liked y get disheartened when the focus shifts to z or back to x. In an ideal world they'd have enough people on staff to keep everything in full balance (PvE solo, PvE group, and PvP), but yeah...

• GlaiverGlaiver ✭✭

I just enjoy doing things on my own, but getting only skill advancement exp from Exodor mobs really kills any highest level mob farming. Sucks.

• On a side note, make reputation rewards great again.

• ArydAryd ✭✭

>

Honestly though, one of the biggest pieces of feedback they got from the "era" that tried to introduce solo alternatives to group content was specifically that people didn't like them moving away from dungeons (and that people felt that the "best era" of TERA was back when it was all about dungeons). Many people commented at the time that, given that TERA is an MMO based on the traditional RPG trinity, solo content advantages DPS players and makes progression more tedious/annoying especially for healers. A lot of people said that moving away from group content was itself the step back (and why "TERA is in this rut now"). I'm not necessarily saying that's my personal opinion entirely, but it was definitely a commonly-held view, and one that the developers themselves reflected in their comments about changes they made. So I sort of feel like it's an "it all depends on who you ask" sort of issue. Part of why I think Exodor ended up in this current state is because it was created initially in that era focusing on solo grinds, but they then decided to shift back towards an emphasis on dungeons, so it's in this unhappy middleground that seems somewhat wasteful.

Personally, I still feel that one of TERA's biggest problems in these last years is that they've lacked a really cohesive vision for what TERA is, who it's for, and what players should expect. They tried to be a sort of "big tent" where they absorb gameplay ideas from many other games (in the last few years a lot from BDO, for instance) as a sort of "we can do that too" move, but it didn't really "gel" into a package, and they don't have enough staff to really keep all the plates spinning in all the different aspects. So as a result, things went in waves and it felt like the whole focus/emphasis of the game was shifting to different things. This inevitably pleases no one because the people who liked x now find that they're neglecting x to do more of y but they don't like y, and then new players who liked y get disheartened when the focus shifts to z or back to x. In an ideal world they'd have enough people on staff to keep everything in full balance (PvE solo, PvE group, and PvP), but yeah...

Kind of correct, but also very wrong. It's hard to get a consensus on the matter because of Tera's extremely high turnover rate. I played in that "era"... and dungeons like Kalivan's etc, were the go-to, mostly because they made it a lot easier for beginners to get into the dungeon scene. The problem is that this idea isn't fostered, and instead we have some kind of "dungeon rotation" which is probably the least satisfying thing about Tera on whole. They've tried to reinvent this game so many times that it's nothing of what it used to be (except RNG progression, that has not and likely will never change).

Here's a pro-tip; You take the dungeon list as it is right now. You realize that RK9 and RR are 68 dungeons, and MC is a 65 dungeon. You (instead of rotating out dungeons) begin to remove mechanics, or stabilize mechanics (instead of having 3 random options for a mechanic it's always the same 1 mechanic) in the higher tiered dungeons. For example, FA/VF should be "entry level" level 70 dungeons. The mechanics should, by now, be predictable via the in game system, and easily avoidable upon your first entry. (Meaning beginners shouldn't be worried about losing.)

One of, if not the biggest complaints that I've heard about this game is it's ever-changing nature; Dungeons rotate (still stupid), Gear shifts, Events are either the greatest thing ever, or garbage in entirety. You want to keep botting down? Invest in protection from botting. There doesn't need to be a "middleground of unsatisfaction", buff the ever loving crap out of Exodor farming. I'd even go so far as to say Feedstock and Gold should be common drops from regular Exodor mobs, then give BAMs multiples (5 stacks etc), with rare drops of Advanced Feedstocks.

As I look at the dungeon list, I don't see a level 70 3 starred difficulty dungeon. Which means none of the level 70 dungeons are "entry level"... which means people are forced to run RK8/RR for progress until they learn the intricate mechanics of VF/DA/FA... And even when they do, those dungeons will likely get rotated out for "new" dungeons in a month or two. It's the stupidest system I think I've ever witnessed in an MMO. Except for Enchantment dropping. That's beyond stupid. And if it exists at all, enchantment costs should be next to nothing. That's a whole different tangent, but I feel it is related because the only real way to make gold in this game is still to buy EMP and sell it, or run dungeons.

Maybe, while we're talking about it, they buff Guardian Legion to give 1000 gold per box as well as the gems and scrolls.

• GatokatzenGatokatzen ✭✭✭

Exodor BAMS are the most shameful bams on Tera history, level 73 ones and friends are too easy. old island of dawn 65 ones are more dangerous.