[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

reduce ram usage?

is there any way to reduce the insane amount of ram usage that tera uses now?

Comments

• Buy more RAM i have 32GB runs like butter

• What insane amount? I have 8 gb ram and that is enough for the game.
  • KsandriaKsandria
    edited August 12

The question isn't whether or not your ram is enough, but how much the game uses. Out of those 32GB, 16GB or 8GB, Tera consumes 88%-100%, this is not normal for a game that is 8 years old and runs on an old engine. It is an insane amount and they need to fix this, otherwise whatever is left of this community will shrink to half, because they are making it difficult for people to play it. I am running a 16GB ram pc with an i7 7700 CPU, my rig works on 90 Degrees Celsius and between 14-16 GB RAM in use. This isnt some AAA game, get off your ignorant high horses captkirk91, educate yourself on how games should be made and optimized. If you need examples - Overwatch is a 4 year old Blizzard game that runs perfectly on 144 FPS, 60 degrees CPU and barely any RAM usage, however Tera can't even hold 60 FPS and wants to fry eggs on people's computers.

• GatokatzenGatokatzen ✭✭✭

A game like Tera should be using 4 or 6gb game nothing more, really weird that cannot run with 8gb ram

• LuceidLuceid ✭✭

well when tera launched it just needs 4 ram.
    but after 8 years the game was so poorly optimized that it is now asking for more than 12 rams.

and look that the graphics are still the same as 8 years ago.

tera has aged badly.
    hahahahahahahahahaha

• all games these days have high RAM usage... Its no different. And if your PC is running at 90c then there's absolutely something wrong with your cooling. Just tired of all the complaining. Buy a console if you do not want to spend good money on a PC

• It is actually very different for most games. Please, do show me an actual example where a game is using all of your RAM. And yeah, my PC is running at 90 degrees since the update, don't think its a me problem though. How come I didnt run at that temperature before the update? Because 64 bit allows now for more processed info and so on so forth, that's still not the point. You don't make an old game with old textures, models,etc. up-to-date with requirements that games of the past few years have. If I am buying a new PC, its definitely not going to be for this trash of a game. So whether or not you like people complaining or not, if you are a game developer/publisher you kinda have to cater to your community as well, especially when your product is dying. Just saying.

• ImarabbitdawgImarabbitdawg ✭✭
    edited August 12

64 bit update wasn't nearly as bad as i was expecting, game peaked at 5.5gb ram for me so far, often at 2.5-3gb, CPU usage is around 10% in dungeons, and 35-40% in Highwatch, no more FPS drops at all, didn't really check GPU load as TERA never used GPU much before but its around 40% now, VRAM usage went up for 700-800mb to 1.3gb~.

Ryzen 7 3700x, 1660super, 2x8gb, playing at 1080p, CPU sits around 38c, GPU around 48c.

• I just can't get over how fast the game loads. As for it running hot, my laptop does get really hot, but I figure that's par the course for most laptops.

• Tera uses 5.6GB of RAM on my PC.
    Ryzen 9 3950X (16 Core 32 Thread), RTX 2080 Super and 32 GB of 3200mhz RAM (Might upgrade to 3600 or 4000mhz RAM). Seems to run fine.

• kamizumakamizuma ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12

idk i have 16gb ram but tera only uses 6gb lol

i5-6600k and gtx1060

my cpu and gpu are both under 50 degrees c

time to get better cooling if you're at 90 lol

• Update: Ive reduced the RAM usage to 10 now, GPU to 50%, but the pc still runs 90 degrees, peaked 101 today at Highwatch Medium Ch.1. The only option that worked so far was undervolting (runs at 80 degrees\wouldnt recommend anyone doing it, unless they know what undervolting is, if it will void their product warranty, how to do it safely (I had help with it, otherwise Id never had done it)) and limiting thread usage from Task Manager from 8 to 4 (lowers FPS to 60). I post this so it may hopefully help someone else.

• @Ksandria said:
    The question isn't whether or not your ram is enough, but how much the game uses. Out of those 32GB, 16GB or 8GB, Tera consumes 88%-100%, this is not normal for a game that is 8 years old and runs on an old engine. It is an insane amount and they need to fix this, otherwise whatever is left of this community will shrink to half, because they are making it difficult for people to play it. I am running a 16GB ram pc with an i7 7700 CPU, my rig works on 90 Degrees Celsius and between 14-16 GB RAM in use. This isnt some AAA game, get off your ignorant high horses captkirk91, educate yourself on how games should be made and optimized. If you need examples - Overwatch is a 4 year old Blizzard game that runs perfectly on 144 FPS, 60 degrees CPU and barely any RAM usage, however Tera can't even hold 60 FPS and wants to fry eggs on people's computers.

First if your cpu hits 90 degrees its still in the safe zone for a 7700, throttle starts at 100. It is completely possible that your cpu is not correctly set in bios, is it overclocked? I ask because if you dont know how to undervolt then maybe you dont fully understand how to OC. Id suggest you get a different cpu cooler or maybe just clean the one your using or maybe replace the paste.

I would like to see a screen shot of task manager with tera using over 8gb of ram, pics or it didnt happen. Im sitting in HW channel 1 preset 6 @ 2560 x 1440 @ 71 fps with tera using 4.7gb of ram while typing this watching netflix and forum rant.

Tera literally got optimized, now im not a game developer and my guess is that you are not either, min requirements are min requirements you can tweak and so forth to make it work but cant really complain about what the games min requirements are.

• NaileenNaileen ✭✭
    edited August 13

Well.. Not sure that RAM is a real problem.
    I have a laptop, usually it goes 65-70C for CPU and around 65C for GPU when I'm playing. 8 GB RAM, i5 7300HQ, 1050 Ti - game works just fine. According to task manager game uses 4 GB of my RAM, not more. Idk why (maybe cuz I'm rarely visiting HW where I can meet a lot of people in one place). Anyway dungeons works fine for me on max graphics preset and all effects enabled - 60 fps stable (playing gunner). One thing that upset me a little is automatic texture downgrading like it was with old 32 bit client, but I guess it will be fixed sometime.
    Sooo... Game get a really good optimization now. I'm glad to see it, it needed that for a long time already

• CezzareCezzare ✭✭✭

@Naileen said:
    ... One thing that upset me a little is automatic texture downgrading like it was with old 32 bit client, but I guess it will be fixed sometime.

For a moment I thought I was the only one to notice this! xD Indeed, the game in general seems to run smoother regarding animations and effects, however, I've experienced sudden freezes when it tries to load several elements at once, or casting a skill for the first time, for example. Also, there's this automatic texture downgrade even at maxed out graphics presets and with the character just idling with no NPCs or other players around. I remember this happening too back in 2013 or so, with a PC using the bare minimal specs.