[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

TERA Benchmark 32 vs 64 bits - Comparison

2»

Comments

• I personally can't tell the difference. But did have to turn my brightness down a tad.

• The update works really well for me.
    Originally installed on w10 x64 b1909 and worked great.
    Just updated to w10 build 2004 an hour ago, looks like the game works fine on it as well.
    Minor issue with choppy audio.

The performance boost is absolutely insane, at least double, possibly triple the FPS.
    I even saw the FPS hit 225 while flying over an area at high altitude (because nothing visible except my character and terrain)
    My FPS simply isn't an issue (or something I can blame) anymore.

It's finally making good use of the GPU as well, my 2080ti was running up to 50% thermal and appeared to be frequency limited.

One issue I am having trouble explaining is the much greater use of memory resources?
    In general, textures are what occupy's the bulk of a games memory demand and these haven't changed, so why has the memory demands?
    Is it loading every texture twice for some reason? Maybe it's pre-caching a lot more.

It's nice to return to this game and see such an impressive update!

• edited August 16

@leopilderiversama said:
    32 bit at least worked, this 64 bit patch is pure garbage

Don't see how anyone will still be using a 32-bit system these days, fewer and fewer games runs on 32-bit. And that's facts no one lives in the past anymore, When Technology advances sometimes old things just cannot run on modern hardware anymore and sometimes at a point of not running at all it all depends on the game of course. Tera ran on I think 1 core? I am hoping it can use more now because personally im rocking a Intel Core i7-6700K and overclocked and get poor speeds (Not the overclocking fault all games ran fine) due to the client not using more of my resources. So you see the problem here, No matter how power the PC is if it's not using more cores being a cpu bound MMO it ain't gonna go any faster.

I had to beef up my CPU for Guild Wars 2 (Being cpu bound) to handle the extra players in Lion's Arch as it really was laggy on my old PC, GW2 uses more cores but as older my other PC got the slower the game gotten because my hardware could not keep up anymore.

That's how I see things in MY perspective.

• edited August 16

i opened a ticket Wednesday and i got 2 meme replies in 2 days despite i describeb in detail and updated the ticket (and from time to time) all my attempts and what i did .
    let's just say: wanna switch from 32 bit to 64 bit? ok, no problem. i agree no one lives in the past anymore, but ffs , with this switching i cannot play and i wasted days and days to find a solution and i'm still unsettled.
    i tried all the possible i could. so the problem is not from my side.
    and if it works for you, ok it's good but if it does not work for me or others players after trying on 2 different desktops in 2 different houses, "maybe" there's something wrong that needs an urgent maint from bluehole\ krafton or whatever manages this game,
    all i have to do is download the game, maybe do a launcher repair or updating some drivers, NOT the infernal cycle i'm having in these days due to their full-blown incompetence. and all for a game that worked perfectly before this dripping patch full of vomit came out!
    64 bit was NOT so urgent or necessary (considering all the unresolved bugs this game has). and when i read somebody who trolls me about this crap is happening to me, i wish they could pass on their skin what i'm talking about.
    just my 2 cents

• RonLawRonLaw ✭✭
    edited August 16

lololol
    Bench marks mean nothing

• TrialMacameauTrialMacameau Does it matter ? cuz DDOSing is a crime punishable of Prison ✭✭✭
    edited August 16

@leopilderiversama said:
    64 bit was NOT so urgent or necessary (considering all the unresolved bugs this game has). and when i read somebody who trolls me about this crap is happening to me, i wish they could pass on their skin what i'm talking about.

Oh trust us, everyone wanted 64 bit since like years ago you weren't just here to catch the bus.

• We want 64bit but not with 2022 set up. Tera make good with 64bit but do bad with optimization. You can run fine in open or trash dung like AQ/DAN but try run RRK with full graphiic on second boss :)

• AraseoAraseo ✭✭
    > @Konatta98 said:
    > We want 64bit but not with 2022 set up. Tera make good with 64bit but do bad with optimization. You can run fine in open or trash dung like AQ/DAN but try run RRK with full graphiic on second boss :)

Did you mean Red Refuge or RK-9 on max graphics?

Cuz I played both on max graphics and no FPS loss or stuttering.
  • 32 bit I had to play with video settings 0.

64 bit I can play with max video settings.

Good change.

• ErikWErikW ✭✭

Memory use on Windows can be misleading. When a 64-bit version uses more memory versus 32-bit it is sometimes simply because it can. Windows virtual memory has two choices when programs load new data from files. One choice is to replace something already cached in memory, and the other is to increase the amount of cached data. There is also a separate file data cache versus program images and memory used for programs.

Part of that is controlled by the "working set quota" for the program. That quota determines how much of its code and data a program can keep in memory. The rest can (not necessarily will) be replaced when Windows loads code or data for other programs or the file cache. A program can't simultaneously access more memory than its virtual address "window" and that is limited to around 3GB on a 32-bit application. Working set quotas are limited for 32-bit applications. So it is quite possible that a 64-bit application might have a working set of 8 GB and appear to be using more memory than a 32-bit version. In fact it is using exactly the same amount of memory, but Windows can keep more of the data in RAM and avoid reading the disk again to retrieve the data.

Using more memory is not necessarily a bad thing. 64-bit versions of programs tend to have larger memory requirements for the instruction code, but that is usually not the largest memory user of a game program. Along with the larger size instruction code, processors are optimized for 64-bit execution and the code may run faster even though it takes up more space in memory.

• ErikWErikW ✭✭

I haven't noticed a big performance difference between 32-bit and 64-bit but I didn't expect that. A lot of the performance is determined by the hardware bus and that has been 64 bits, 128 bits, 256 bits depending on the chip-set. The greatest performance improvement that I expected was from more caching of game data in memory. That is primarily the performance advantage to 64-bit. There is also an advantage for some instructions that execute faster in 64-bit mode.

Very few programs (even games) really need 64-bit. Programs usually don't need simultaneous access to that much data, and they can remap their 32-bit virtual address space or load new data Windows file access is smart enough to know that it can remap physical pages with cached file data, so a larger address space only saves a little bit of processing to update the page mapping table.

64-bit mode has more secure handling of errors and exceptions and is less vulnerable to exploits. Crashes aren't more or less likely on 64-bit.

I was disappointed that my 64-bit Windows 7 laptop doesn't run Tera anymore. The bug causing X and Y to be ignored on my controller was the worst problem that I had, and I only got a work around by reading suggestions posted in the forum by other players. The growling while moving bug is annoying but I can still play the game.

I don't understand why the 64-bit game doesn't run on Windows 7 64-bit for me. Nothing changed on my laptop computer. The game doesn't even launch and that is puzzling because I wouldn't expect the startup screens to use any advanced graphics processing incompatible with my graphics chip. I suspect that there may be some requirements the game checks for and then it simply exits if they aren't met. It would be better if it displayed a message saying that the graphics card is not compatible. Even better, it could display the graphics features that are missing.

I hope the company taking the reins for Terra will work to improve the help for those of us with Windows 7 or older computers. The graphics card requirements could be a lot more specific, listing the required graphics features and modes. Errors because of incompatibility could be better if they actually told the user that was the problem and provided enough details to know what is required. The worst thing that a program can do is simply close with no error message displayed at all.

It's unrealistic to expect everyone to upgrade to Windows 10 just to run a game. People are just going to move on to other games rather than spend money upgrading their operating system (if they even can) and the programs that they use. Windows 10 broke a lot of backward compatibility for programs and that makes it a more expensive upgrade in terms of the other software. And Windows 10 also broke hardware compatibility with some otherwise still high performance hardware. I'm one of the people who can't update to Windows 10 on my current desktop. I have about $4,000 invested in my desktop because I use it for programming and running virtual machines with other operating systems. So, I won't be upgrading to Windows 10 until I get a new computer.

If it was my company running the game servers, I would work really hard to make it compatible with as many Windows 7 64-bit computers as possible. Even a little effort there could keep a huge number of players. If the publisher won't promise to help with that, then I wouldn't even consider buying the rights to run game servers. You don't buy something to resell right after it has been changed to have an even smaller market.

• MidokuPastaMidokuPasta ✭✭✭✭

The most annoying thing about 64 bit is how often my wolf's sound effects glitch out and it's just this weird surround sound mix of Growls and howls and echoes which makes my ears hurt. Outside of that, I don't have any issues with it ( Outside of the error code I originally got which I fixed)

• dragonmu12dragonmu12 Israel ✭✭✭

there is not even a comparison to what it was before,now im running dungeons on 100+ fps on preset 3-4,before 30-40 fps on preset 0-1,so yea.. 64 BIT MADE The game Alot Better!

• @dragonmu12 said:
    there is not even a comparison to what it was before,now im running dungeons on 100+ fps on preset 3-4,before 30-40 fps on preset 0-1,so yea.. 64 BIT MADE The game Alot Better!

It's going to be difficult to tell how much of the performance increase is due to other software changes and how much is due to going from 32-bit to 64-bit. It's quite possible that all of those performance improvements could have been done in the 32-bit version, but they've stopped doing any further development on that.

Along with that performance improvement, it seems that some graphics cards or chips no longer support the game. Some of us have lost the ability to play the game even with reduced settings on some computers. I've got two computers that I was using to play, and now only one of them is able to start the game.

What is disappointing to me is that a number of bugs from the 32-bit version still remain unfixed. The empty Vanguard Quest list is one of the most annoying, especially if you aren't an Elite member with an easy way to get to Ghilleglade.

I guess we'll have to see what happens with the game in the future. The company that takes over the game will have a list of problems to resolve right from the start. When you have to know and use the work around for more than a few bugs in order to play the game it can drive away players.

• Konatta98Konatta98 ✭✭
    edited September 1
    > @Araseo said:
    > > @Konatta98 said:
    > > We want 64bit but not with 2022 set up. Tera make good with 64bit but do bad with optimization. You can run fine in open or trash dung like AQ/DAN but try run RRK with full graphiic on second boss :)
    >
    > Did you mean Red Refuge or RK-9 on max graphics?
    >
    > Cuz I played both on max graphics and no FPS loss or stuttering.

Who do Red Refuge or RK9 normal :bruh:, i mean Rampaged RK9 or RK Extreme Mode, full graphics on second boss with x5 sphere (wtf forum ban b.a.l.l.s.)