[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

So, what is to come of TERA?

Comments

• JerichowJerichow ✭✭✭✭

I'm kinda shocked here, not at EME but at people who thought EME would be at all different even in their dying breaths. "Radio Silence" has been their standard operating procedure for years now - that very same behavior that likely played no small part in ending their company.

Honestly, people getting mad or surprised that EME for not saying anything - whether legally gagged or not - is simply beyond me. This has been how EME has operated since 2015-2016, doing the absolute smallest required amount of work humanly possible to get things done, while saying the fewest words possible. Sometimes even at the detriment of not explaining things fully, or at all.

As someone who's job was created by the transfer of services from one company to another just like this - I can understand the radio silence though. It's a legal matter. I've been on the new publisher's side of things, and I'm willing to bet money if this is anything like what happened at my job, anyone not directly involved with this transfer only knows about it through hushed gossip between employees.

EME said things would happen in October - it's October. We still have 28 days left for it to still be October, I'm not going to panic.

• @Jerichow said:
    IWe still have 28 days left for it to still be October, I'm not going to panic.

its possible they wait until october 31st. halloween is best way to announce new mysterious publisher or reveal there wont be any at all

• JerichowJerichow ✭✭✭✭

@kubitoidNew said:

@Jerichow said:
    IWe still have 28 days left for it to still be October, I'm not going to panic.

its possible they wait until october 31st. halloween is best way to announce new mysterious publisher or reveal there wont be any at all

No lie, I could see a big Halloween event to kick off new ownership being a thing. It'd certainly be a way to get things off to a running start. I know if I was in charge of taking over a game in Tera's situation, that'd be on my radar as something of an adrenaline shot for the community/game to get it back on its feet.

• tisnotmetisnotme ✭✭✭✭

unfortunately the way i see it the longer this goes on the harder it will be for the new publisher
    as its not a new game so its harder to re entice players in to it
    even with the die hards that have moved on to either other games or other publishers of tera
    so the dwindled player base with the trouble of getting new players in can cut deep into profits for any new developer causing reason to justify further expenditure in to their market area base

• JerichowJerichow ✭✭✭✭

I disagree. Tera has been in a bad spot for years now, yet if you really dive into many of the issues it had, it was mostly publisher-related outside of your typical issues like uninspired bosses for new dungeons, class imbalance, etc.

Just about everything else was something old EME was capable of, and would have fixed way back when. Boring dungeon? Better loot and/or dungeon-running event. Delay in content drop from BHS? Communication with community + event(s) to tide over the wait that didn't involve just buying lootboxes. Problem with crafting materials change in a new patch? Fixed with adjustments to the in-game stores.

I'm just saying - people left not because Tera was bad, but because they had problems with EME and the way they behaved. Downgrading servers, toxic CM's that didn't even play the game, no communication for months on regular issues, yet they were perfectly willing and able to come down on an entire community of modders trying to help the game with a DMCA because of a few bad apples they weren't really associated with. I'm not arguing that some people are gone for good, and that we'll probably never hit 2,000+ average concurrent players ever again; but I would bet my bottom dollar there will be people coming back simply because EME is no longer in the picture.

Why do I know this? I'm one of those people.

• EJECWCWG55EJECWCWG55 ✭✭✭

@Jerichow said:
    I would bet my bottom dollar there will be people coming back simply because EME is no longer in the picture.

Why do I know this? I'm one of those people.

• MargaretRoseMargaretRose ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jerichow said:
    Downgrading servers

woah woah woah!
    when this happen? I only remember when they UpGrAdEd SeRvErS

• MargaretRoseMargaretRose ✭✭✭✭✭

btw really nice communication~
    guessing it's ending just as bad eh?
    we getting a few days notice? :disappointed:

• MaulclawMaulclaw ✭✭✭
    edited October 5

I'm really hoping it's Gameforge at this point. This game is dead, and I doubt the shift in publishers will do any good to the current situation in terms of population. I would rather have all of the western releases under one client and publisher rather than have NA vs. EU all over again. I was one of these people who strongly opposed Gameforge due to their track record... but honestly, I would rather they just take TERA NA for themselves and be done with this.

• @Maulclaw said:
    I'm really hoping it's Gameforge at this point. This game is dead, and I doubt the shift in publishers will do any good to the current situation in terms of population. I would rather have all of the western releases under one client and publisher rather than have NA vs. EU all over again. I was one of these people who strongly opposed Gameforge due to their track record... but honestly, I would rather they just take TERA NA for themselves and be done with this.

I can't see it being Gameforge. Tencent doesn't own them or a piece of them. They will keep it with someone they can take a share of the profits, if any.

• edited October 5

@Fyrehawk13 said:

@Maulclaw said:

I can't see it being Gameforge. Tencent doesn't own them or a piece of them. They will keep it with someone they can take a share of the profits, if any.

Krafton (and their investors) get a share of the profits regardless -- that's how the publishing arrangement works in this kind of case. It's not like a publisher "buys the rights" and then keeps all the money, it's a revenue share agreement. The fact that Krafton and the new publisher are still finalizing contract negotiations suggests that they are still trying to agree on the exact details of that split.

• ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont know what's happening at EMEs and this new publisher side but player base population is on a really tight spot. I dont know if we will recover from this if news are not shared any time soon.

• edited October 7

I posted this in Discord, but for those who are checking this thread for news too, EME product manager SingleBear (a.k.a. GuffyBear) had some comments in tonight's stream indicating that they hope to release some official information about the transfer this week, with information about the new publisher as soon as it's officially cleared for release.

For those who want to watch the relevant sections of the stream:

The whole thing starts here:
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/762956789?t=3h35m48s

Some more isolated spots in that segment with useful comments:
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/762956789?t=3h41m15s
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/762956789?t=3h43m30s

As explained earlier, take this as only "guidance" for now -- he does clarify that when they can post the information officially, it'll go up in all the official places, so these comments on the stream are not a substitute for official news, just comments while waiting for it to be approved for posting officially. It's good as a bit of an inside look at what's going on.

A late reply to this too, for whatever it's worth:

@Jerichow said:
    I'm kinda shocked here, not at EME but at people who thought EME would be at all different even in their dying breaths. "Radio Silence" has been their standard operating procedure for years now - that very same behavior that likely played no small part in ending their company.

Honestly, people getting mad or surprised that EME for not saying anything - whether legally gagged or not - is simply beyond me. This has been how EME has operated since 2015-2016, doing the absolute smallest required amount of work humanly possible to get things done, while saying the fewest words possible. Sometimes even at the detriment of not explaining things fully, or at all.

If anyone actually wants the real "inside scoop" as to why this happened, I highly recommend the interviews done with prior EME CEO Kimmander and also with prior CM Circuits on the same channel. You have to understand the business talk a little and read between the lines, but I really found it surprisingly candid, not necessarily flattering, and super illuminating about what actually happened these last few years to cause the change. Obviously this means little to people who don't really care about the why and just care about the end-result... but if anyone really is interested in "how the sausage is made" the interview series is highly-recommended viewing.

• JerichowJerichow ✭✭✭✭

@counterpoint

Thanks for the head's up on that. And regarding the interviews, if you have a link I'll give it a listen or read. You're right, in that it probably won't change my opinions much, but if I see something that demonstrably proves me wrong, I'll stand corrected on it.

• @Jerichow said:
    Thanks for the head's up on that. And regarding the interviews, if you have a link I'll give it a listen or read. You're right, in that it probably won't change my opinions much, but if I see something that demonstrably proves me wrong, I'll stand corrected on it.

I actually don't think you'll be proven "wrong" exactly -- at least not about the effect/result -- but it was really interesting to see the factors that contributed to the situation from their point of view. For example, why did they eliminate the community team, resulting in less communication to and engagement with the playerbase? Why weren't they able to push the developers to make more changes based on player feedback in our region? What was preventing the product managers from taking "direct control" over the games to "fix the problems" themselves? (The interview with Denommentator also covers this, as it's something he tried to do with ZMR, despite it being too little too late at that point.) What do they think needs to be done differently to prevent these kinds of situations from occurring, and what were they trying to do to address this before this decision was made? These are the among the points/questions that were discussed in the interviews and -- I think anyway -- really helps paint a better picture of what was actually going on from their point of view.

One thing I can say with confidence, having interacted with a lot of EME staff over the years, I never considered them either lazy or disinterested in any of my interactions with them (despite some of them sometimes having brusque mannerisms in public). As a rule, they all put in super long hours to try to do whatever they could within their capacity/constraints (a key point), and some of the specific projects I worked with them on (like revamping Fashion Coupons, Emporium, etc.) had them put it even more hours above and beyond their full-time duties to finally see it through (after years of nagging from me and others lol). But in the end, people judge the result not the actual effort spent, so if people's perception is that they were lazy and just doing the bare-minimum (or less), that's still the company's fault. Kimmander acknowledged that, given that players had that perception, they didn't succeed at what they were trying to accomplish and should have done better, although obviously it's one thing to say that now.

Another thing I can say clearly is that, when you see the degree of communication with things like Closers and TERA Console, the issue here really isn't any "pattern of lacking communication" from EME on the whole. There's a very specific issue with TERA PC, and if you read between the lines in these interviews, you can start to see a picture of what that might be.

Like so much in life, reality is full of shades of grey -- good intentions trying to solve one issue that end up causing another issue, problems stemming from other sources that couldn't be fully addressed, differences in personal opinions/perspectives among the people involved that weren't properly communicated/worked out at the time, and on and on. (The whole conversation about metric-driven decision-making and the "wall" between Product Management and Community was really enlightening but also extremely frustrating for a lot of us. When your managers are focused entirely on the metrics because they don't know how to "quantify" fun or happiness...)

Anyway... yeah. Most of the interviews are on Twitch or on the Youtube. It looks like the Kimmander one is down at the moment probably for editing.