Dislike button

I was going to add this one to my combo thread but I see this one so many times as I scroll through posts that I think it deserves special attention. People are flagging a LOT of stuff that I believe doesn't break the TOS, so I assume, as others are saying, they are using flag for a lack of dislike button. Isn't flag meant only to report TOS abuse and illegal stuff? Are the mods being bothered by all the flags by now? If yes to both of these, then a dislike button should be added if the forum structure allows it. No idea how hard it would be to add, or if work is being already done for it because of all the false(?) flags.

I'll add more stuff to my combo thread later as I find it. Cheers!

Comments

• VenpaiVenpai ✭✭✭
    this might just be me, but i am already seeing flagging as becoming the new downvote of this forum. would it be possible to make it required to actually say why you're flagging it in the first place. and i don't mean ticking spam or abuse, but actually giving a brief comment on why it is. i would really hate to see this forum turned into "oh you were flagged a lot i don't want to listen to ur opinion" because that'll be the new hostile.

or at least stop putting a number next to the flagged button. i don't know why it's there in the first place. seems pointless. all we really need to know is if we have reported the comment already or not.

obviously the forum staff has to review these reports regardless, so if it's just people being salty it probably won't matter, but it's just something i'm seeing happen already and would hate to see carried over onto this forum ^^
  • IMO, a more sensible solution would be to make the flag count not public (and optimally add a popup menu to pick which rule they broke with the post)
  • Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I'll work with Spacecats to come up with a solution.
  • NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geletron wrote: »
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I'll work with Spacecats to come up with a solution.

Thanks for listening. Much appreciated.
  • YamazukiYamazuki ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I'll work with Spacecats to come up with a solution.

If it's just for reporting purposes then have it be invisible for everyone. (The amount of flags)
  • JasonLucasJasonLucas ✭✭✭
    I don't like of this idea (a dislike button). It's easy push a button when you don't like of something, but point what you don't like and say something constructive that can make it better is really hard.
    EME could put a warning in to flag button to let people know that, if they improperly use it they can be also punished.
  • NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    JasonLucas wrote: »
    I don't like of this idea (a dislike button). It's easy push a button when you don't like of something, but point what you don't like and say something constructive that can make it better is really hard.
    EME could put a warning in to flag button to let people know that, if they improperly use it they can be also punished.

That's the problem, some people just don't bother with explaining why they don't like something and, in the old forums, they could downvote/dislike whatever at the press of a button. Here there's no such thing, yet usually the people who want to dislike or downvote without commenting why will look for another way to do so, and instead what you see is tons of posts with flags, which were never meant for that. THOUGH maybe just a warning about the flag being used as a downvote can be enough for who knows how many users. Anyway. The staff is already aware of the issue with flagging, at least, and it's now in their hands to either set up something like a downvote button (a function the old forum already had anyway) or as you proposed, a warning about flagging. Whichever they do will hopefully reduce the number of wrongly flagged posts.
  • Quick update: I've hidden the number next to the flag link. Spacecats will continue to send out warnings to and/or ban people who are abusing the flag tool.
  • VenpaiVenpai ✭✭✭
    Quick update: I've hidden the number next to the flag link. Spacecats will continue to send out warnings to and/or ban people who are abusing the flag tool.

thank you for hiding the number! i think that is really going to help a lot.