[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

Is the game terribly boring for new players?

Got a friend into tera recently, so I made a new character. Stepstone Isle was fine but getting off... I was really bothered by the immediate teleportation scroll to Bulwark Camp. Maybe it's just me, but it feels INCREDIBLY lazy. We leveled up so fast that we skipped Popolion altogether. She got pretty bored and I felt bad because, this wasn't the Tera that I knew. Assuring her that, "this used to be so much fun back when we went to this other area first" didn't exactly make things any more enjoyable for her.

Sure, she's still giving the game a chance, but....If I had begun playing TERA with how things are now I probably wouldn't still be playing, two years later.

I know that we've had some pretty interesting updates recently, so I wonder if they will ever revamp the now-forgotten areas like Lumbertown, like when they remade the starting area?

Personally I think it would be AMAZING if they actually went through and took the time to compleeeetely redo the entire story mode. Tera has so many amazing, gorgeous areas, it's a HUGE game - because people are SKIPPING those areas, it's a darn shame.

My hopes are (surprisingly) high for BHS though, I hope they do go back and slowly revamp the story quests... for the sake of keeping the game interesting.

Comments

• vkobevkobe ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dont think, it is not like before fate of arun patch release, but we can have our fun for new player
  • Mmo is a niche game. It's not for everyone. However, I do agree TERA should be more friendly yet for newbies.
    Something like allow them to go CS again, give to them the low lvl weapon +12 and one or two costumes from cash shop. So them can feel strong and fancy xD.
  • Yes more exploring would be nice.
  • vkobevkobe ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes more exploring would be nice.

bad new invisible wall destroy this part, before we could, but since flying horse we cant anymore
  • BabbelsimBabbelsim ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I have to say I do miss the IoD beginning, then flying to Velika get your quest there and then of to Lumbertown <3

(I loved the IoD beginning island it was so pretty :3 )
  • Ghost915 wrote: »
    Got a friend into tera recently, so I made a new character. Stepstone Isle was fine but getting off... I was really bothered by the immediate teleportation scroll to Bulwark Camp. Maybe it's just me, but it feels INCREDIBLY lazy. We leveled up so fast that we skipped Popolion altogether. She got pretty bored and I felt bad because, this wasn't the Tera that I knew. Assuring her that, "this used to be so much fun back when we went to this other area first" didn't exactly make things any more enjoyable for her.

Sure, she's still giving the game a chance, but....If I had begun playing TERA with how things are now I probably wouldn't still be playing, two years later.

I know that we've had some pretty interesting updates recently, so I wonder if they will ever revamp the now-forgotten areas like Lumbertown, like when they remade the starting area?

Personally I think it would be AMAZING if they actually went through and took the time to compleeeetely redo the entire story mode. Tera has so many amazing, gorgeous areas, it's a HUGE game - because people are SKIPPING those areas, it's a darn shame.

My hopes are (surprisingly) high for BHS though, I hope they do go back and slowly revamp the story quests... for the sake of keeping the game interesting.

isnt this like the third time BHS revamped questing?

anyway was like this when game f2p and in 2013

Tera is not a casual game even though it advertises to be one

Second Tera is a game that only cares about endgame and not the Journey which is a common trait among most Korean grindy games.
  • TWMagimayTWMagimay ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes more exploring would be nice.

That's what GW2 is for. Different MMOs have different objectives and can be boring or interesting depending on what the player is into. Tera's thing is the combat, the story has always been lacking compared to games like Guild Wars and 9 Dragons.
  • See, I have the total opposite effect than this person.

They have revamped leveling to a degree that feels more on point rather than wasting time focusing on red/yellow quest alone. This is what drove my friends crazy leveling up back then. They came back during Ninja patch and leveled up a Lancer and Archer and they had a much enjoyable time since things are laid out much smoothly compared to before. They could follow the story quest if that's what they are after, but people have difference preference. They hated the traditional "talk to this NPC here and there" and just focused on the combat by grinding mobs and dungeons together.

To each of their own, there's no one solid conclusion to how people find the game "enjoyable" to them.

I think this is the perspective that BHS designers were focusing on with their changes. One of the common complaints about TERA ever since launch was that the questing system was boring and uninspired, so they've now made it so that you could basically level the entire way through dungeons and just focus on combat, and perhaps throw some PvP in the mix. They've also made XP boosts more accessible so that leveling by farming BAMs is also possible.

For people who enjoyed the gradual process of exploring the world through quests, then yes -- that has definitely been deemphasized now. But I think BHS took the feedback that this was a weakness rather than a strength, for the most part.

I suspect they will continue to streamline the questing system from level 23-60 to be more in the flavor of what you have now from 1-23 and 60-65.
  • The quests and level progression got stream-lined to the point that focused too much on getting to 65 instead of learning how to play your character, experiencing the setting/lore, following the (admittedly mediocre at best) story, exploring the various beautiful locations and scenery, and the traveling across the game world. The impression that of the Island of Dawn gave to new players was far more comprehensive and enrapturing compared to the hamfisted writing and pacing of DumbStep Isle.

The journey of the game is important. BHS overdid their streamlining and severely impacted TERA's ability to engage new players by trivializing all aspects of the journey to 65 to only a hurried rush.
  • for someone who is new to the game, I found this game is easy to level (spamming kuma)

after getting to lv59 i felt lost because I had too many quest and not sure where to continue...
  • SaxbladeSaxblade ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    The main quests in this game are 5-10x longer than Dragon Nest's in my opinion. I can't think of doing main quests on any of my other characters after being done with them on my warrior at lv63.

Main quests in Tera are ridiculously long and boring, but I did it as I was coming in as a new player back then. Now that I have resources to gear my characters in between leveling, I don't have to worry about main quests anymore.
  • I wouldn't say it's boring to newer player's.
    Sure, It has it's up and downs, what game doesn't?
    It has story | lore which you learn about thru questing and doing dungeon's.
    Leveling is fairly easy depending on your class.
    (Sadly, It's so easy to level a class that a lot of people don't take the time to learn their class.
    Let alone look into proper dps rotation's, glyphs, dungeon guides, etc)

But like most MMO's, It's just a Grind to Max Level and obtaining BiS gear.

It really come's down to the person playing and how much effort they put into the game.
    Let alone if they actually enjoy it or not.
  • YamazukiYamazuki ✭✭✭✭✭
    People play Tera for the combat. Exploration has nothing to do with the combat, and you aren't rewarded for it or encouraged to. Other games like GW2 you can basically level off just exploring, on Tera that is only done if you are actually interested in it.
  • It still took me several months to hit the level cap as I was playing the game on nearly a bi-weekly basis for 2 hours each gaming session before playing it seriously.

I didn't know all of my skills and which ones were the most powerful before I hit the lv cap, but with some common sense, some glyphs should immediately be a no-miss. Any warrior with common sense would immediately roll a CD reset glyph for Blade Draw.

I didn't know how to DPS or PVP at the level that I'm performing today until 2 months after hitting the level cap. I was kinda jocking off a bit being a casual just for a little while. I'm a semi-casual & competitive player, I don't try to downgrade players and try my best to help them out.

Dailies make the game incredibly boring for new players as they'll be doing them longer than VM players doing 3 high-tier IOD dailies. Most of the end-game content is barred off for them making it harder for them to even get to enjoy what the game has to offer because of the player meta that has existed in nearly every MMO.
  • AcendiaAcendia ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I feel the leveling was way more balanced in the past when we didn't have dungeons to run for every level, for example before Savarahs' Ascent or however it's spelled. You could do dungeons for a few easy level- but then suddenly hitting a couple level ceiling for dungeons and were forced to explore an area around your level to get next one available.

Oh and yes, Stepstone Island is one of the biggest mistakes in the game... What the hell is the point of making the beginning of the game instanced and lock away the possibility of friends playing the game together from the start? It's nothing compared to how beautiful and free IoD was.
This discussion has been closed.