[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

OK this is rediculous

13»

Comments

• Heruvim wrote: »
    Failforge=enmasse

you clearly didnt play a failforge game.

I did, i played Tera eu before coming here, and now it became the same [filtered].
  • You have to be really thick to buy loot boxes and not sell the emp to get your desired item of broker. Well anyways, I wish you good luck in getting a dragon, I guess.
  • Ray676 wrote: »
    there's no scam involved

Prove it

Even if EME pulled out actual log data that demonstrated it was statistically sound and the code that showed it was using a valid pseudo-RNG source and with no other biasing factors, people could still say "they're lying; they doctored the numbers; that's not the real algorithm" etc. etc.

There is no evidence that it is anything more than standard pseudo-RNG. But even so, humans are wont to see patterns where they don't necessarily exist. No one will ever be convinced even by any empirical evidence provided by EME. (And even if they underwent a third-party audit, some people would still suspect it if it doesn't agree with their preconceptions...)

All this being said, I have always said and maintain that the fact there's no fail-safe algorithm is really bad, and the fact that it's even possible someone could spend $400 and not end up with their coveted item is crazy. But in TERA, it is possible with the system they have right now. It should not be so. I will always say: post the odds, and implement a spending cap to get the rare. It's the right thing to do, IMO.

Out of here with your logic, this is an MMO only RAGE belongs. ;)

More seriously though, even if you post the odds, people will misread what those numbers mean. For example, if I say the odds of getting a dragon mount from a box are 1:1000, your faith in humanity will be destroyed when you realize how many people will buy 1000 boxes and then complain they didn't get one. Most people won't look at it as they have a 99.9% chance to not get a dragon from a box, regardless of how many boxes they get.
  • When they advertised the ghost and diamond dragons would be available in the shop... Silly me.. I assumed it would actually be available to purchase. To see them only in the Loot Boxes was a tremendous let down. If they are going to advertise and get people excited for something, they should make it reasonably available. I have seen too many who have had to pay more than $100 and still did not get it. For a game that claims to be F2P, that is insane. Then, to make this part of the release more frustrating, the make the F2P version completely unavailable.

It is their choice to do things how they see fit, but if they are going to make promises, then make it so complex or expensive many can't take part, they will loose patrons simply through disappointment. If there is a problem with it, let us know why. Use the Patch Note function to keep people informed.
  • KetothKetoth ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Draqsko wrote: »
    Ray676 wrote: »
    there's no scam involved

Prove it

Even if EME pulled out actual log data that demonstrated it was statistically sound and the code that showed it was using a valid pseudo-RNG source and with no other biasing factors, people could still say "they're lying; they doctored the numbers; that's not the real algorithm" etc. etc.

There is no evidence that it is anything more than standard pseudo-RNG. But even so, humans are wont to see patterns where they don't necessarily exist. No one will ever be convinced even by any empirical evidence provided by EME. (And even if they underwent a third-party audit, some people would still suspect it if it doesn't agree with their preconceptions...)

All this being said, I have always said and maintain that the fact there's no fail-safe algorithm is really bad, and the fact that it's even possible someone could spend $400 and not end up with their coveted item is crazy. But in TERA, it is possible with the system they have right now. It should not be so. I will always say: post the odds, and implement a spending cap to get the rare. It's the right thing to do, IMO.

Out of here with your logic, this is an MMO only RAGE belongs. ;)

More seriously though, even if you post the odds, people will misread what those numbers mean. For example, if I say the odds of getting a dragon mount from a box are 1:1000, your faith in humanity will be destroyed when you realize how many people will buy 1000 boxes and then complain they didn't get one. Most people won't look at it as they have a 99.9% chance to not get a dragon from a box, regardless of how many boxes they get.

just a funny thing and mathematical comment about this:

Imagine a box with a jackpot where the chance is 1/infinity.

After Infinity tries you will have only 63,8% chance to get at least one jackpot - 36,7% to not get the jackpot
    After 2 x Infinity tries you will have only 86,4% chance to get at least one jackpot - 13,6% to not get the jackpot
    After 3 x Infinity tries you will have only 95,0% chance to get at least one jackpot - 5% to not get the jackpot
    After 4 x Infinity tries you will have only 98,1% chance to get at least one jackpot - 1,9% to not get the jackpot
    After 5 x Infinity tries you will have only 99,3% chance to get at least one jackpot - 0,7% to not get the jackpot

This show that in average there is gonna be 1 in 150 people will not get the jackpot even after opening 5 x more boxes that the jackpot box ratio.

Ps. If anyone want to know the math behind that, just ask and i will glad post here
  • rexoerexoe ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    "justdropingthishere" go to 1:34 we have been warned so many times but people still not learn
  • HazgazemosHazgazemos ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Pay for sadness, Pay for Disappointment, this is Tera's true form. :)
    Loot boxes are like scratch off tickets. Do a few at a time, over time. If luck wasn't with you after the first 10 tries, it has abandoned you. Spread it out, like 2 a day. RNG is based on planet alignments and solar flares. Geez, stop after the first 10 fails. Learn that today is not lucky day. Try again later.
  • rexoe wrote: »
    "justdropingthishere" go to 1:34 we have been warned so many times but people still not learn

This video is the best thing I ever seen, this made my life 1000% times better.
  • edited September 2016
    It's not a scam... it's gambling. There's a slight difference.

The reason why RNG boxes exist is because players keep buying them. It's simple as that. Want RNG boxes to cease? Then STOP BUYING THEM. Of course, this won't stop whales from dropping thousands and thousands of dollars though, which is probably who these boxes were targeted for.

Just buy the mount. If you have boxes then sell them to naive players whom sadly don't know any better.