[PS4/XB1] We will be entering into maintenance downtime on 11/18 at 6pm PST. For details, please visit the following thread: http://bit.ly/teraconsolemaintenance

State of the game?

Hey everyone,

I used to play Tera a lot, I've got a sizable amount of 60s and one or two 65s. I was considering playing again but I wanted to know how the game was doing. So...I'll start with a few basic questions and I hope someone can help me :open_mouth: . How's the population? Is the game in any way p2w? Is the newer content fun/engaging? How are the new classes (ninja/fist lady)? How is the class balance and is the leveling system from 1-65 the same as it was, easier/harder? Any comments you might wanna add are welcomed, just wanna know how the game is doing overall I guess.

Thanks <3

Comments

• rip, well you confirmed most of my fears. I stopped because things felt like they were going down hill and apparently the downward spiral continues. Thanks for the feedback! :)
  • TWMagimayTWMagimay ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chleo wrote: »
    rip, well you confirmed most of my fears. I stopped because things felt like they were going down hill and apparently the downward spiral continues. Thanks for the feedback! :)

You shouldn't listen to the salty. The population is decent considering we are a couple weeks away from the next pacth(which is when Tera, just like any other game, gets more active and then it goes down over time). P2W is not a thing in Tera and never was. Depends on when you last level, but, odds are, it's easier. Nobody can tell you how the new content is/will be as whether it's engaging or not depends on what you fancy. Brawler(the fist lady) got pretty nerfed, they are at the same level if not below lancers right now. Ninja is still at the top but we are getting some interesting class changes soon so that might change.

At the end of the day, nobody can tell you if you'll enjoy it or not. It's free, give it a shot. Or just believe what strangers on the forum tell you. Your choice.
    Troyzerk wrote: »
    @TWMagimay I did say All-in-All if you can't resist playing TERA by all means go ahead.

Did I say you didn't? Doesn't change the fact that you blatantly lied up to that point.
  • Tenshi1Tenshi1 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand why everyone complains that this game is P2W. You only pay for cosmetic things. MES drop from dgs, CCBs and ses drop from BAMs on IOD now, and there's a new reward system that if you're at least tier 2 you can get some blessed enigmatic scrolls. You gear up through the game, bot by buying stuff. The only aspect that is p2w is the lootbox dragons with the crit buff, which I do NOT recommend doing the lootbox unless you have $$$ to spare.

Honestly I find the end game dgs fun for the most part. Call me a weirdo for saying that but to each their own. I mean, everyone knows how devastated I was about the iod revamp, still am, but nothing's gonna keep me from paying a game I really like.

I just really dislike how hard the enchanting is. That said though, I didn't pay any of my in game money and my ninja has +12 slaughter full set and it took like a week or two.

As someone said, don't listen to the salty. I'm enjoying the game and always will, best of all it's f2p.

Also ninja is really fun xD
  • Troyzerk wrote: »
    Heavy P2W right now because pvp is the biggest reward in the game right now and is dominated by a small small small small handful of people.

Since when do you have to pay to do battlegrounds?

I've been playing the game for well over two years now, and I'm not into pvp at all. Still I do fine and have never spent a cent on Tera. I have four 65ers in full Slaughter, and with the next patch am going for some VM gear for the first time. Without battlegrounds, without paying money.

As with any f2p game, what you don't invest in money, you have to invest in time though. Having said that, there's still a lot of ways besides battlegrounds to get a good amount of gold. If you know what to do, you can get fairly rich fairly quick. I never was much into the gold grind though, I enjoy managing my guild above all else, I don't need BiS gear to do that and have fun.
    Mid tier gear is still enough to run ALL content, especially if you have a guild or friends, and don't have to rely on doing matching for instances. You'll get your grains of salt there whether you're BiS or not, I'd say. Skill still is more important than best gear. I have a guildie in Imp gear who's been the laughing stock of the party in DMNM one time, and that was through LFG, not IM. None are safe. ;)
  • I don't get why people would either go full support for tera or totally against it, and then try to kill each other in the comments because they differ in opinions :(

I haven't been active for the past week or so and only log in when it's CU:V time but I can answer your questions i think~

How's the population?
    **The population is a bit low atm but that is expected because we are at the end of the patch, but on the other hand, it is lower than normal as well because i know a lot of people, that has been upset with the current patch (no in game dragons, CU:V just recently worked, Rally quest abuse, etcetc) and is on break or left the game for good. So I would say both the answers from above are right in a sense :+1:

Is the game in any way p2w?
    **Again, both the answers from above are correct and it just depends on how you see it. TERA has always had in game methods to do everything, there's nothing p2w players can get that f2p players cannot. On the other side, TERA has always has this constant switch of gear and endless grinding for f2p players for months, which p2w players can just get in a day. They also recently developed a mount that increases crit power, which p2w players can ofc get, while f2p players need to grind it out once it actually is implemented in game. So I would say it's f2p in a sense that you can do what paying players can do, but a bit of p2w just because of how long it would take you to get stuff if you don't pay :confounded:

Is the newer content fun/engaging?
    **I have cleared all the contents except DSU, but DSU isn't here anymore so i cleared all? yay? :dizzy:
    Anyway, this is my own personal opinion, and you might find it different so i suggest you try it out yourself. I personally like how the new dungeons are, SSHM for example isn't jsut one of those afk-dps style of dungeon, its one where you actually need to dodge, and keep dodging. I love those kinds of dungeons so i'm saying they are fun, but then again, different people, different opinions. A good player for example can find it boring and not engaging at all (It takes my everything to clear it though rofl)

How are the new classes (ninja/fist lady)?
    **Ninja is currently "overpowered" compared to the other class as it can easily deal the most dps, BUT, BHS is planning to make Ninja the norm for dps, in other words, every other class is gonna get buffed to ninja level soon enough, so i guess that makes it Ninja is normal and every other dps is underpowered :dizzy:
    Brawler i believe will get nerfed, but, they arent bad either. I believe they are meant to deal 80% of a normal dps so its a huge boost to the party c:
    ~Not sure about PvP but brawlers are extremely wanted in PvP and Ninjas can stagger lock people forever

How is the class balance and is the leveling system from 1-65 the same as it was, easier/harder?
    **I was actually surprised when i came back to the game after a short break like 5 months ago! I would say levelling is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay easier now than before. As someone above said, new classes can pretty much faceroll everything in there, i believe old classes with avatar too though xD and if i remember correctly, hardest point to level before was lvl 58-60, now it's like 1.5 LoT :expressionless:

Any comments you might wanna add are welcomed, just wanna know how the game is doing overall I guess.
    **Yes! I suggest you try the game for yourself and find out for yourself <3
    Everyone that will post here will post their opinion, and their opinion can be different to you, everything i wrote here is based on what i see and what i experienced, so really, the best way to find out i guess, is to play it yourself. ^-^
  • Don't listen to Troyzerk, he is just another forum troll.

Population might be declining, but I never have any problems finding a party for dungeons, even for harder ones. Background queues are bad, but there are other reasons contributing to that (no lowbies, no party queues in cs, new dumb kumas bg with highest rewards etc.)

I dont think tera was ever strictly P2W and now the P2W aspect is even more declining, every dngn is easily doable with the second best gear which is not super hard to get for a casual player, and if you want to be the best of the best you have to either be very dedicated to the game or skip some grind with cash, but I wouldnt call this P2W. Also, for pvp they made it so the best armor is a mid tier set which is not hard to get.

The funness of new content is very subjective and it's up to you to decide. New content can be coming slow sometimes, so I like to take a break from the game at periods like now, but new patch will come soon and hopefully the game will get more lively.

I think that ninja is a very well designed class, a lot of cool moves but also provides counterplay options, it's only their damage numbers and that op hitbox of double cut that puts them on top of other classes, whereas brawlers was the worst thing that happened to tera, on the launch they were beyond broken, and after many nerfs they are still one of the most op classes both in pvp and pve, but more reasonable now.

BHS promised to spend this year working on the old classes to bring them all in line with ninja dps in pve, but sadly they are taking classes one by one, so it's prob not gonna be anytime soon until the classes are balanced out.

Leveling is very easy now and game is mainly focused on end game.

So all in all I would say that the game is in a decent state, even if there is a lot of good parts and bad parts about it, it ultimately depends on what do you value the most, so I would suggest you to give it a try and see how you like it.
  • jebbushjebbush
    edited October 2016
    Troyzerk wrote: »
    Low population. The population on TERA is about as high as the games male character population.. if you want good numbers there it is.

Heavy P2W right now because pvp is the biggest reward in the game right now and is dominated by a small small small small handful of people.

The new content is laggy with massive fps drops as usual. Only engaging if you ran FWC on your computer with no problems.

Ninja is overpowered as all [filtered].

Brawler is complaining they aren't good enough because of the lancer having more ability to support allies.

Class balancing from level 1-65 is left to fate sir... any old classes need teamwork. New classes faceroll 5 man dungeons by themselves with no healer. And it will not be adjusted. AT ALL. Although leveling up from 1-65 can be done in a matter of 4 hours now.

Extra Notes: All the old classes are are apparently being reworked to be made "better". This might add some population back if they don't [filtered] on the classes some more and accidentally nerf them instead of buffing. Like they did to the berserker class.

Old classes are getting some extremely sketchy upgrades. The sorcerer is the only class out of the entire revamp that pretty much was guaranteed anything. The rest of the classes were very unnoteworthy things. a vague boss monster and elite monster damage for all classes except ninja, and then that is about it. They didn't really acknowledge the shortcomings or issues of any of the old classes except the sorcerer.

OH! forgot to say they are still ignoring players about optimization of the game.

All-in-All if you can't resist playing TERA by all means go ahead. But I wouldn't suggest touching the games log-in screen anymore until at least next year. No more microtransactions. Nothing. Just play the waiting game until the "old classes are revamped". See what BHS and EME have in store for us and let them deliver first before you go playing the game and dumping your cash into it. Word is they aren't really planning to revive or take good care of TERA but instead just kinda use it as a cash goat to fund other games.

Mind you this is coming from someone that paid people to clear/carry him in SSHM, also tries to "buy" people in game for their service for a "lifetime", so take what he says with a large grain of salt.

Edit: He also use to be in the server i play on, but as of late I haven't seen him on or he just namechanged/xfered to another server. Also he plays zerk so thats why he says they're gimped because he cant play his class properly.
  • Here's from view about the CSOG

Population - Like every patch: start of patch = highest then it dwindles down and by the end of the patch it's lower because no content to run other than those preparing for the next patch (stocking up credits, etc),

P2W - It's still the same as when you left, cash shop offers you Costumes, skin, mounts and consumables. Only thing new is the Dragon mount with crit power passive against monsters (strong but atm pretty sure the buff is still broken). IMO it's not P2W really, I mean you can get alks/mes/ses from cash shop faster if you don't want to spend time grinding for those and rather just swipe away. But, in-game you can already obtain those items WAY easier through BG credits. I mean- EU TERA is what P2W is, OP elite buffs (something NA Tera does not have) and they limited the supply of necessities in-game so people have to use the cash shop.

New contents - I can't say all of them are fun. Depends on the individual(s) I guess.

Brawler and Ninjas - They're both strong while brawler over the time has gotten nerfed little by little so the class isn't crazy strong (though because of their kit, it's kind of working and kind of not). In PvE, some people prefer brawler since a good brawler can keep a good uptime in dps and aggro with debuffs, while some prefers lancers for the support buffs (so it matters which party prefers what). Ninjas are basically faceroll due to not having lots of skills and their basic chain skills are basically really quick in cd and also high base damage for a lot of their skills which leads to those high DPS. Both class in pvp are good, brawler got nerfed a lot in PvP (most of their combo blocks and ground pound) but in 1v1 they are still able to 100-0 you if they have enough attack speed. On the other hand a good ninja can stagger lock you but due to the fact that they're squishy and can be countered by other classes they're alright but they're just annoying to go against.

Class Balances - Well, new classes are always on the higher spectrum because of FoTM, and any older classes are which ever class are getting buffed. With revamps coming soon, it'll be sorcerer that will be one of the top DPS due to their skill changes and their effects. Archer's revamp will be after Sorc but it will come...SOON.

Leveling from 1-65 is a breeze now with the addition to Kuma BG, boring but worth the trouble of doing it while you do dungeons because you can grind BG credits and by the time you're 65, you can probably use those credits to buy something. You'll take about a day if you no-life the leveling alone.
  • TWMagimay wrote: »
    Did I say you didn't? Doesn't change the fact that you blatantly lied up to that point.

You are the only one lying here about how the population is "decent", both in numeric and qualitative terms. The population is not decent.
    Brawler is still very much broken. They won't have a chance at being balanced until ground pound pull is removed and the bugged knock-up is removed. p2w is heavily present in game compared to 2 years ago. +15 pretty much guaranteed the game will be p2w, and the game will always be p2w until +15 is removed and the new gears must be balanced like it was before: best gear = 3% better than 2nd best gear.
  • EndevaEndeva ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Chleo wrote: »
    rip, well you confirmed most of my fears. I stopped because things felt like they were going down hill and apparently the downward spiral continues. Thanks for the feedback! :)

@Chleo
    Tera is F2P, you can confirm yourself and not rely on a single skewed viewpoint.
  • DvsvDvsv ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    *Population: At least on AV, it's very low atm and it was very meh even when ninja patch hit NA. I think NA Tera got from 30K players to maybe ~3K on a 1.5 year time span. EME should just merge everything on just 2 big server next year, a PVP and PVE one.

*P2W factor: I rly think it's p2w or at least heading that way.
    It's not about "we can buy or grind everything in-game", it's more about "How much time we need to put to farm in-game as a 100 % free player vs a full P2W player".
    And atm, maybe it's like U$300 = 500+ Hrs worth of grinding?
    Now we need to farm mounts just to boost our dps (it was only a cosmetic thing when i started), as a free player we can't even farm dragon mounts in game (and even when/if they fix, it's another 200-500 Hr grind coming for "free players".).
    If ppl still think this game is not P2W: Go ahead, make a full +15 imp toon w/ 2x dragon mount, 20 crit inner and everything maxed without spending a single dime in this game. Idk if it's even possible as a 100% free player, maybe if u waste 12Hr+ a day and even then, there'll be new VM gear by the time the toon is done..

I can't care less if "mid-tier +12" is enough and bla bla, the fact is, if i can't gear a full BIS toon as a free player, then there's content locked behind a p2w wall...

I was a hardcore 100% free player and the most i could gear was a +15 previous patch VM , +12 VM gloves and rest mid-tier, just the +15 VM weapon alone was enough tor burn all of my FOD/MWA resource (i.e: 2 months of farming). A casual P2W player can gear much more than me and if u're a casual free player, just quit the game after 1~2 month and don't bother w/ anything better than mid-tier +12.

Now tbh i rly think a subscription model like WOW is the most fair system for everyone.

Perpetual class balance issues: I'll not argue anymore, this is just BHS's line of thought, they just think that if there's a insanely OP class every patch everyone will reroll and that's more EMP sales. They can't care less about gaming experience.
    Even if they fix and buff everything arround Ninja DPS, there'll be a much more broken class next year and everything will be messed again, and we gonna see the same "old class balance promisses"..

Tera will be never a remotely balanced game, period..

Imho, for a new or returning player: Just look elsewhere...

edited October 2016
    TsuTsunEmi wrote: »
    TWMagimay wrote: »

You are the only one lying here about how the population is "decent", both in numeric and qualitative terms. The population is not decent.
    Brawler is still very much broken. They won't have a chance at being balanced until ground pound pull is removed and the bugged knock-up is removed. p2w is heavily present in game compared to 2 years ago. +15 pretty much guaranteed the game will be p2w, and the game will always be p2w until +15 is removed and the new gears must be balanced like it was before: best gear = 3% better than 2nd best gear.

I guess nobody wants to play with you so it looks empty. My guild is very much alive and kicking, LFG is constantly going and even my DD's get swift queues. Some parts are more dead than others(like CS) but that has nothing to do with population.
    I'd also like for you to explain to me why I know so many people with multiple +15 chars who never spent a cent on the game if +15 is p2w. How can we be winning without paying if paying is a condition to winning? The paradox is real....
    At this point I won't even bother asking what you win when you pay. I'm not interested in another 3 pages of "but it's p2w because you win something when you pay but I won't say what it is but it does exists, for realz".
    Dvsv wrote: »
    And atm, maybe it's like U$300 = 500+ Hrs worth of grinding?

You are really bad at grinding. Pro tip: BoL on a lvl 65 char is not how you make gold in Tera.