A Formal Introduction from DonkeyProphet

Hi Everybody!

My name’s Alex Mack (please submit half-hearted references to 90’s kid-centered basic cable programming below) A.K.A @DonkeyProphet and I’m one of the New Guys joining the En Masse team and helping out on TERA. I spent my first eighteen years or so faithfully plugging quarters into arcade slots, fighting friends for controllers on couches, and faithfully chugging coffee and dodging showers in the name of gaming enlightenment. It. Was. Awesome.

But Alas! Seasons change, the world turns, and at some point it was explained to me that if I was going to keep surviving; I would need to find a job. As you can imagine I was pretty bummed out about the whole thing until, utilizing my well-trained gaming skills, I found an exploit – working in video games! So I packed up my bindle full of Red Bull and Cheetos and struck out to make it in the big, bad world of game development (queue incredible hulk theme & hitchhiking montage). As it stands right now I’ve been making games my entire adult life, and have shipped games for amazing companies like Electronic Arts, Sony, Namco, Atari, and most recently; Cryptic Studios, where I was lucky enough to be a Producer for Neverwinter. It’s been a wild ride, and while there have definitely been tough times, I can honestly say that I’ve had an absolute blast.

I’ve got a family, a few close friends, and more pets than is really practical who are all still back home in the San Francisco Bay Area, but who I hope to have here in Seattle with me sooner rather than later. I’m a big fan of Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror across pretty much any medium (including playing the occasional ARG here and there). I love sports & competitive play wherever it presents itself (whether it’s watching LoL Worlds, the Superbowl, or the World Cup – I’m down), and I love cooking, eating, and drinking as much and as often as possible.

That’s enough about me. let’s talk about us. I want you all to know how very impressed I’ve been by the passion and enthusiasm shown by the TERA community, and that I recognize that the relationship between you (the community), En Masse (the publisher), and Bluehole (the developer) is a special one that carries a responsibility I take very seriously. To that end; I’ve spent the past few weeks undercover, burning the midnight oil, and grinding away on TR learning the ins-and-outs of TERA from your perspective. In doing so I’ve grown to love the journey itself, and the support of players who stop to help that hopeless warrior who can’t stay in position against a BAM, or that scared Popori hopelessly lost in the Golden Labyrinth. I’m still only 61 and fighting my way through Savage Reach – but I’m very excited about the prospect of burning through a few more characters here before moving on to AV, CH, FF, and ultimately; joining the fray on Mount Tyrannas. It might take a while, but I plan on getting there ;)

I joined En Masse because I wanted to be a part of something bigger than just a game company. I wanted to be part of a movement with a group of talented and driven folks who want to deliver great games and great service to our players, our games, and one another. I feel like I’ve found that here, and while I can’t guarantee I won’t sometimes make decisions (or even mistakes) that upset some (or all?) of you; I want you to know that I’m determined and committed to getting better each and every day, and sharing some awesome times together.

Let’s get busy!

@DonkeyProphet
Product Manager
En Masse Entertainment

Comments

• edited November 2016
    welcome to TERA!

second
  • Welcome aboard! Please make Tera great again!

3rd
  • itf69itf69 ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Lemme ask the real question here, are you related to Christie Mack?
  • Elinu1Elinu1 Canada ✭✭✭✭
    hello DonkeyProphet make tera great again
  • KoikoiKoikoi ✭✭✭
    welcome!

first thing on your list should be making FWC great again... and well Pvp in general. :awesome:
  • edited November 2016
    Welcome aboard! Please make Tera great again!
    - LennyH
    hello DonkeyProphet make tera great again
    - Elinu1

Absolutely. I think we can make TERA Stronger Together!

also; @itf69 - I'm sad to say I am no relation, but she's got an awesome surname!
  • NobunautNobunaut ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Saying "first" is actually against forum rules... Ah well. You're new though so I won't mess around. Welcome to the family, I hope you enjoy our little community.
  • Welcome. So your title is Product manager. What exactly does your role do for us and for the EME team?
  • Welcome. Hope you don't get scared away by the community
  • Saying "first" is actually against forum rules...
    - Nobunaut

GAH! @Spacecats ! I throw myself upon the mercy of the court!
    So your title is Product manager. What exactly does your role do for us and for the EME team?
    - Starbuzz

This is a great question! But not necessarily one with a simple answer. In game development titles are a little blurrier than I think they are in a lot of other industries. At a high level, I'll be working alongside the existing team here at EME to help guide the long-term direction of TERA to make sure that we're delivering you all a fun and engaging experience when you come to play. We understand there are a million other places where you could be spending your time, and are honored that you choose to spend it here with us.
    But Donkey, what does that actually mean???
    - DonkeyProphet

I'm glad you asked!!

On any given Day we could be:
    • Talking to @Spacecats about how you guys are doing and what we can do to improve your experience
    • Discussing upcoming features or requesting new ones from our partners at Bluehole
    • Coffee, Coffee, Coffee.
    • Planning upcoming events, and reviewing past events to see what worked; but especially what didn't.
    • Meetings, Meetings, Meetings.
    • Thinking about and discussing where we want TERA to be 3, 6, 9 and 12 months from now, and how to get there.
    • Paperwork, Paperwork, Paperwork
    • Roaming TERA in search of fame and fortune (as time and opportunity allows)
    • Emails, Emails, Emails
    • Popping in to check out the Forums, Reddit, Youtube, Twitch, and Twitter to see what's going on out there and what you guys are up to and how you're doing.
    • Meetings, Meetings, Meetings.
    • Beer, Beer, Beer.

This is not a comprehensive list, but that's really because ultimately; my job, our jobs are to make TERA a place where you feel comfortable coming, where you have a great time, and a place you want to tell all your friends and family about; and that involves whatever it takes. :)

Hopefully that's enough of an answer for now, but maybe somewhere down the road we can organize an AMA and we can talk about the what, where, why, when, and how of what we do in more detail.

Thanks for asking!

• Ahh, you sound like so much fun, just like spacecats.
    Let's be best friends. <3
  • Starbuzz wrote: »
    Welcome. So your title is Product manager. What exactly does your role do for us and for the EME team?

this, and welcome
    im afraid u joined a sinking ship tho, unless u can turn it around
  • edited November 2016
    Welcome. Hope you don't get scared away by the community
    - Ashno

Far from it!! As I said earlier; I'm really impressed by the passion you all show for our game, and I understand how frustrating it can be as a player at times when something you love and invest yourself in doesn't seem to be going your way. As a gamer, I've been there.

Like any family, we're going to have our disagreements, and we sometimes might say things we don't mean, but that doesn't mean I don't still value your voice, or the relationship we're building with one another. I think we have something special here with TERA, and that's worth fighting for.

That said; I urge everyone to take a deep breath and think about respecting one another before you fire off that angry post; It's much easier to listen and to learn when we're all conscientious and respectful towards one another.
    im afraid u joined a sinking ship tho, unless u can turn it around
    - Desusky

I appreciate your concern, Desusky - I can assure you that from where I'm sitting, TERA is still very much sea-worthy; and that there's no way to move forward by turning around. I'm committed to helping guide TERA into the future as best I can.
  • Welcome Donkey! It's good to have you on the team!

At the moment, DonkeyProphet sits next to Denommenator, Smoreceror, and me. Like he said in his intro, we've been having a good time so far throwing ideas around and thinking about ways to keep TERA exciting. :)