Meet the new TERA PM - Noesis

edited December 2016 in General Discussion
I’m Michael, aka Noesis, the new Product Manager for TERA. I’ll be taking over early in the new year when Denommenator hands over the reins. Before you ask, the title we used to use at En Masse was ‘Producer’, but we’ve changed it to ‘Product Manager’ for a bunch of reasons I can talk about if you’re really interested. But the TL;DR is I’m the one who is responsible for making TERA awesome and keeping things rolling and unsticking things when they get stuck. On to the gaming cred, because I’m sure you’re all wondering about the new guy with the title “Product Manager” and how much of a gamer I could possibly be.

• I used to play on MUDs via telnet back in the late 80s and early 90s, including one called Tsunami.
  • My first real MMO was Everquest, which I played in Vanilla, then did small group content in Kunark, followed by endgame raiding in the Scars of Velious expansion. My claim to shame is having camped the Ancient Cyclops in the Ocean of Tears for 18 hours straight to get the Ancient Cyclops Ring for the JBoots Quest. I still have that warrior …
  • The games I play the most right now in my free time that aren’t MMOs are the Soulsborne games. Dark Souls, Bloodborne, etc. I’ll talk about organic vs. mechanical difficulty and game design until you get bored.
  • My first ever computer RPG I played was Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord for the Apple //e. I still have the box, the disks, and the Apple //e. Last time I plugged it in, it still worked.

When it comes to TERA I will admit to being a bit of a noobasaurus rex. With the various holidays coming and going, and getting up to speed on all things TERA behind the scenes, I haven’t had a ton of time, but I do play, and I currently have one mid 60s Gunner on Tempest Reach, and I try to carve out time to play every weekend. I have been working through the questline in Spring Valley, but I’m most excited to go back once I hit the cap and try to solo some of the pre-60 storyline dungeons. My goal is to level up a few different characters and see if I prefer DPS, Tanking, or Healing. I’ve been all 3 in previous MMOs, but usually gravitated towards the healer role. Something to do with staring at health bars and making sure nobody tipped over…

That said, I’m having more fun leveling up and running through dungeons in TERA than I’ve had in an MMO in years. I am very excited to be a part of working on an MMO after literal decades of time spent playing different games.

Now on to some various facts about me that will make me appear to be a genuine human, and not a wolf in a human costume. First, let me sit upright in this chair with my vertical human spine and use my 10 fingers to type …

• Every year I travel to Portland OR for the HP Lovecraft Film Festival.
  • My favorite band is The Residents
  • I’ve spent the night on an abandoned artificially-made island in the Pacific Ocean
  • I have 3 cats: Nyarlathotep, Azathoth, and Hatchetface. All of them are feral rescues.
  • I paint miniatures in my spare time, mostly Warmachine/Hordes. I don’t play any tabletop games anymore, but I really like buying the books and using them as reference for the painting.
  • I like to play board games, but only cooperative ones. Personal favorites are Arkham Horror (or Eldritch Horror), Defenders of the Realm, and other “Ameritrash” style games with lots of fiddly bits. I’m excitedly waiting for the Dark Souls Board Game kickstarter to deliver.

And since you asked, my forum name is the Greek term for the capability to understand what is true or real, or the facility for reason and rational thought in the human mind.

NERD TAX:

This is an example of my painting "skills":
1618705_10152235238674940_1119560909_n.jpg?oh=1f5a7344fe1cca2dccff2938ccbf0d03&oe=58B11E88

CAT TAX:

This is Nyarlathotep:
10888439_10153457009734940_6860974235166558949_n.jpg?oh=cfd1e602ab16a984cb2bb7c11f3ae591&oe=58EBC9A4

This is Hatchetface:
993596_10151741457119940_119500886_n.jpg?oh=23ff8543637eea869b22bba5ca43d695&oe=58EA1C94

Spacecats has made some rumblings about getting me on the Twitch stream tomorrow, so I hope to see everybody there!

Comments

• FIRST!!!!!

Banned.
  • Welcome!!!
  • edited December 2016
    RIP Denommenator.

But seriously, Noesis has proven to be extremely capable in his short time here thus far. I am confident that TERA is in good hands.

We'll be shipping a build together early next year, after which I'll hand off the reins to go work on some other projects here at EME.
  • Spacecats wrote: »
    FIRST!!!!!

Banned.

lol - and at this moment he really is banned haha.

Welcome to Noesis!
  • edited December 2016
    Spacecats wrote: »
    FIRST!!!!!

Banned.

RIP Donkeyprophet 2016-2016

so can I have his things now?
  • edited December 2016
    WELCOME NOESIS. Our new TERA Product Manager has been hard at work over the last few weeks, ramping up, learning the ins and outs of TERA operations. I am 100% positive that TERA is in excellent hands!

I'll have Noesis on the air tomorrow during the weekly TERA Twitch stream so you can see him with your own eyeballs. If you've got super secret questions you want him to answer during the show, PM them to me ;D
  • ... What have you done to the 3rd cat ? :<

And welcome ~
  • This is what came up when I searched "Noesis" on Google
    NQzhXX7.jpg

I thought all PMs are angry mean.
  • edited December 2016
    Spacecats wrote: »
    FIRST!!!!!

Banned.

Wow, the Flaming Banhammer spares no-one, TERA employees and players.
    Welcome Noesis! Any pictures of Azathoth? I really do love the names for your cats =^.^=
  • Welcome to TERA Neosis.
    Just giving you a heads up you'll be hearing a lot of complaints and rarely any thank yous.
    What's annoyed you the most during your time leveling in TERA?
  • Welcome to Tera, hope you will find the time working on Tera to be pleasant this coming year.
  • Welcome to TERA Neosis.
    Just giving you a heads up you'll be hearing a lot of complaints and rarely any thank yous.
    What's annoyed you the most during your time leveling in TERA?

I expect I'll get thank yous sometimes, and there will be lots of forum posts about all sorts of things. It comes with the job. But on to your question: The thing that annoyed me the most while leveling in TERA was outlevelling the story quests. I was in my groove, trucking through story quests, and then hitting the anchor quest at the end of a long chain that ended in a dungeon, so I'd hit up dungeon finder, get a group, finish my quests in the dungeon, and start the next story quest chain. But I hit one where I outleveled the dungeon just before I got the dungeon quest, and then I couldn't use dungeon finder to get into the dungeon, and my gunner wasn't stronk enough to solo the dungeon herself, so I had to walk away.

Then I found out that the 'optimal' way to level is just to queue for dungeons. I'm bound and determined to just work through story quests, because I enjoy the ride and getting to see the world. Plus since my life tends to lend itself to short windows of gaming, or long windows with possible breaks where I have to get up at a moment's notice, doing 5-mans is tough for me to do, because I hate to afk and ruin other people's fun.
  • Welcome.
    Now we have 2 Product Manager ? or just 1, since the other got banned?